Journalism in the 1930s

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP, there's a minor subplot where my MC gets a job as a reporter. He gets assigned nothing but silly, inconsequential stories that would be called 'fluff pieces' today. Except I have no idea what might constitute such a story in 1934, when the scene takes place. I'd appreciate any input anyone may have...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There are newspaper archives online, so it might be worth having a browse. (Sorry, haven't got a link, but I have looked at them before.)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you're in the US, that could be something like writing up the society column -- which socialite or debutant wore what dress to what event. (But remember, this is the Depression.) And then there's always local news -- so-and-so just grew the prize-winning pumpkin at the state fair and our local boy (it would be a boy) just got accepted into Harvard. When WWI was over, my husband's grandfather sent to his hometown paper a little ditty that the "boys" in France were singing about going home and it was published. Your MC could be in charge of the little filler pieces like that were published.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Big-city setting, or smaller town? Much the same, I suspect, except for the scale of events. (But smaller places is what I know best.)
Who's graduating high-school, hopes for the future? How are the local sports teams doing?
Noteworthy local weddings? Annual events, depending on the time of year - 4th of July parade and fireworks, a nice piece for Memorial Day. Maybe a local charity is putting on a Thanksgiving dinner for the poor?
High-school fashion show? As it's the Depression, there might be various charity drive?
Local groups having fancy dinners, or parties? Some medical advance at the hospital?
Interesting newcomers to town?

My dad got in the local paper when he won a (very small) boat in a draw at the local bar.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Same ideas, just up-scale it. And, skip the sports stuff, as there's probably a sports department handling the pro stuff. Sports days at schools, though, yacht club regattas, etc. The smaller society weddings. (Big ones probably have a regular reporter.) New exhibits at museums and cultural places. If there's a 'cultural' section (don't know what they would have called it then) they'd probably do the major stuff, big concerts, etc. but your guy might, again, to smaller stuff - college or major church gets a new organ, the cost of a 'real' Stradivarius that a local musician has bought. Local choirs and glee clubs. Of some major business closes/opens, he might to a little retrospective, or a piece on it's high hopes in this time of general gloom.
In the crossing of Depression/fluff pieces, he'd be looking for positive, hopeful stuff, I imagine. Kids, pretty girls, etc. Even if things were tough, I imagine that private schools would try to keep standards up. And the rich have parties, etc. Poor kids playing stickball, swimming in the river. Make-your-own-fun stuff.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say pick the setting-- if you haven't already, and read the papers. You can choose real articles to base this portion of your story on.

Write, write-- write!