"Be Best"

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
First reaction when the "Be Best" campaign was announced: what a dumb slogan.

Then I thought about it for awhile, looking for something good in it.

Nope, sorry - it's just a dumbass slogan.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, it's not in vernacular English.

But Melania has been trying to learn language from someone who, no doubt, mocks and criticises her every word. Someone who excels at Be Worst.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Its so be best that the pamphlet that they hand out with is a near copy of a pamphlet the FTC made during the Obama administration. How ironic that darnold is trying to eliminate everything Obama and Melania goes and uses their stuff. Its like they aren't even trying anymore.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Its so be best that the pamphlet that they hand out with is a near copy of a pamphlet the FTC made during the Obama administration.

It feels trollish to me, like someone thought it was a take that to the Obamas somehow.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Its so be best that the pamphlet that they hand out with is a near copy of a pamphlet the FTC made during the Obama administration. How ironic that darnold is trying to eliminate everything Obama and Melania goes and uses their stuff. Its like they aren't even trying anymore.

I suppose this is their way of trying to be bestest.

And I expect Melania's English (and/or her husband's attitude towards her learning or not learning the language) has little to nothing to do with this one. It strikes me more as presenting something handed to her, and not really caring whether it made vernacular sense or not.

And, no, they're not even trying anymore. Why should they? Their base won't care what they do so long as it's them doing it, and the fix is pretty much in (barring a midterm miracle.) Nothing's getting them out of that house and they know it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not in vernacular English.

But Melania has been trying to learn language from someone who, no doubt, mocks and criticises her every word. Someone who excels at Be Worst.

I believe she spoke English before she met him -- I think she's said to be quite multilingual.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe she spoke English before she met him -- I think she's said to be quite multilingual.

Clearly she speaks two languages and she spent time in France so she could speak three. But her resume was faked claiming she had a degree she didn't have. Speaking three languages is nothing to dismiss mind you, but I doubt she speaks more than three.

This campaign was simply slapping Melania's name on an existing government program.

Time: The plan was ambitious, but some observers online felt it wasn’t entirely hers.
For one thing, the slogan “Be Best,” sounded a little too much like Michelle Obama’s “Be Better” answer to Oprah Winfrey’s question at the White House Summit on the United State of Women in 2016....
Maybe 'Be Best' was some fool's idea of a superior superlative. :tongue

That wasn’t the only aspect of the comprehensive plan that critics felt they’d seen before. The companion pamphlet appears almost entirely copied from the one the Federal Trade Commission released in 2014 under Obama.

It's bizarre. Trump trashes anything Obama, do you suppose he has a fantasy that Melania is seen as better than Michelle? They have to be really ignorant or they know and don't care that the plagiarizing will of course be found. And her staff or Melania did this once before.

Colbert had fun with the Be Best campaign.

And I know we should be cautious about attacking Melania. But I'm not going to forget she worked illegally on a tourist visa (remember the press conference that never happened) then belittled undocumented workers claiming she immigrated the legal way, privileged, white and rich.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna be, the very best, like no one ever was...

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I wanna be, the very best, like no one ever was...
Off-topic story time related to the above quote:
I used to go to anime conventions a lot, cosplayed, all that. It was a blast. Two cosplayers dressed as characters from 'Black Butler' were crowd-surfed as this song was playing. It was amaaazing.

Thank you for letting me share my happy memory.