• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sequels and prequels and sequels, oh my!

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of great feedback here, thanks everyone! Aggy, I think you're getting at it here. I think simply having other pitches ready is probably all that matters. I mean, any book can have series potential, right? Unless all the characters die and the world blows up. So even though I have zero intent to cheapen a perfectly fine self-contained story by tacking on a sequel, a simple "yes of course this has series potential!" with a few ideas in that regard, is probably all it takes. Apologies in advance to the agent that falls for it. :Shrug: It's not going to get accepted anyway, but I think I'll find the process interesting.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Lots of great feedback here, thanks everyone! Aggy, I think you're getting at it here. I think simply having other pitches ready is probably all that matters. I mean, any book can have series potential, right? Unless all the characters die and the world blows up. So even though I have zero intent to cheapen a perfectly fine self-contained story by tacking on a sequel, a simple "yes of course this has series potential!" with a few ideas in that regard, is probably all it takes. Apologies in advance to the agent that falls for it. :Shrug: It's not going to get accepted anyway, but I think I'll find the process interesting.

I'd really encourage you not to do this. It's never a good idea to begin a business relationship with subterfuge.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Don't do this.

If you do end up finding an agent and they find out that you've been dishonest with them right from the start they'll dump you without hesitation.

It's a really bad idea.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, that was an exaggeration. I just mean that it's a matter of perspective on what series potential means. At the same time, I also don't think it's fair for an agent to tell an author that their book is wrong if it's not open-ended, if indeed such a thing were to happen. Of course, an agent is free to accept, or not accept, any book they want. For me, I'm certain that self-publication will be my only avenue anyway, and I'm sure not a single agent will weep for me when my book doesn't sell. It's just sad to me when the business side overrides the artistic side.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
They wouldn't tell you it's wrong. They might tell you it's less sellable, which isn't the same, or be concerned that you only have one book in you.

The majority of people who get a book traditionally published, never publish a second novel. It's not a concern based on nothing, if that makes sense.

I'm gearing up query MS2. It's standalone, and cannot have a sequel, or a spin-off, or anything else in that "universe"; it's simply impossible. But I've got part of a fantasy series already another written, and another standalone MS lined up after this one that I want to write. I know that I'm not one-book-only and I think I could demonstrate that.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
We already have a few woe-is-me-the-never-published-and-likely-unpublishable authors around here. It's really... not the best attitude, partly because self-fulfilling prophecy and all that. Focusing on the problems *will* prevent you from taking steps to meet your goal. That doesn't mean getting published is easy, but it certainly becomes more difficult if you are telling yourself that it won't happen. (There's a difference between self-defeating and pragmatic assessment of the challenge.)

Also, some stories don't need more books. Some will change over time and you could find at a later point that there is another idea in there. But suggesting to an agent that sure, it could be more books, is not wise. It's okay to say "I wrote this as a stand-alone and I don't have any further ideas for these characters. But, I have been working on these other ideas." Various editors are interested in series vs standalones and vice versa it's important for an agent to know which group they need to take your work to. An agent is unlikely to turn you down just because this book is a standalone, but if you suggest that it might be a series and they go to editors who are looking for a series and then you're all "Whoops, maybe there's just the one," it will create some ill will and that's not a thing you want to do deliberately.

Best of luck with your project. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's just sad to me when the business side overrides the artistic side.

But this has always been true, at least for any artist who wants to make money at it.

Publishing people in general love books, but they also have to eat. They're trying to match your book up with a large enough audience so everyone in the food chain makes some money. If an agent doesn't think their personal set of contacts can do that with your book, they won't offer to rep you on that book. It's not personal. It's not even necessarily an artistic judgement.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
@Harlequin, Oh, it makes perfect sense. I'm sure I'm coming across as contentious, and I don't mean to be. Disillusioned at times, maybe, if even that.:) But it's all good. Best of luck with your query.

@Aggy B Thank you, and I definitely don't want to demonstrate a woe-is-me attitude, not even close. I'm sure I'm not being clear here (which is a problem for an author lol!) I'm firmly on the pragmatic side. In all honesty, I'm not sure I have more than one book in me, and just being objective, my writing isn't top quality. That might make it tough to be compatible with agents. Of course you never know, and either way, it's fine. I set out on this adventure just for my own satisfaction, and I won't let that change.:) It's been fun and rewarding. I do have a positive attitude and will see where it takes me. I appreciate your good words.:)

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
But this has always been true, at least for any artist who wants to make money at it.

Publishing people in general love books, but they also have to eat. They're trying to match your book up with a large enough audience so everyone in the food chain makes some money. If an agent doesn't think their personal set of contacts can do that with your book, they won't offer to rep you on that book. It's not personal. It's not even necessarily an artistic judgement.

Of course what you are saying is true. I know I'm falling back on the "I just want to write!" mantra, which is naive, but that might just be the camp for me. We'll see. I like your comments, and by the way - never be afraid of subterfuge, just because... subterfuge.:) Certain words just beg to be acted upon :evil

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Not at all, I get where you're coming from. I do want to offer a final word of caution, though - I think the self pub world has something of an undeserved reputation for being an outlet for "truer" art.

My somewhat limited experience of self pub community is that this is the opposite. A lot of self pubbers have to be focused on what sells--and far more than presses, that usually means writing to market, following trends, and pleasing the crowd. They simply haven't got any margin for error.

A big press can take a gamble from time to time, and invest in proper marketing/reviews/reach (Too Like the Lightning is one such novel and Tor did very well out of it.) Small presses can be good places to find a niche, too.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. Trade pub isn't quite as soulless, or indie pub quite as free-spirited, as the general myth surrounding them both sometimes suggests.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Not at all, I get where you're coming from. I do want to offer a final word of caution, though - I think the self pub world has something of an undeserved reputation for being an outlet for "truer" art.

My somewhat limited experience of self pub community is that this is the opposite. A lot of self pubbers have to be focused on what sells--and far more than presses, that usually means writing to market, following trends, and pleasing the crowd. They simply haven't got any margin for error.

A big press can take a gamble from time to time, and invest in proper marketing/reviews/reach (Too Like the Lightning is one such novel and Tor did very well out of it.) Small presses can be good places to find a niche, too.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. Trade pub isn't quite as soulless, or indie pub quite as free-spirited, as the general myth surrounding them both sometimes suggests.

Thank you so much for this advice. It seems paradoxical but it actually makes perfect sense, and I honestly hadn't looked at it from that perspective. I'm just in a strange place right now, where I never set out to impress anyone but myself with my writing, and now I'm at the point where I have to decide if I want to remain headstrong, or be flexible enough to impress agents or appeal to the masses. It's an awkward place to be. But I know I'm not alone. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thank you so much for this advice. It seems paradoxical but it actually makes perfect sense, and I honestly hadn't looked at it from that perspective. I'm just in a strange place right now, where I never set out to impress anyone but myself with my writing, and now I'm at the point where I have to decide if I want to remain headstrong, or be flexible enough to impress agents or appeal to the masses. It's an awkward place to be. But I know I'm not alone. :)

Or you could remain headstrong and see if it sells.

Another myth is that books that "appeal to the masses" are necessarily lowbrow or less literary. Or in any way easier to write.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Or you could remain headstrong and see if it sells.

Another myth is that books that "appeal to the masses" are necessarily lowbrow or less literary. Or in any way easier to write.

Sure, and just to be clear, I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. I was just referring to the distinction between tailoring your work for an audience (or an agent) vs. writing what you want.

All the advice is great, and it's almost embarrassing to get this much personal attention. I really just wanted to hear opinions on the topic. All the help and good words are humbling.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I think everyone on this board understands frustration with getting your work read. Everyone here, almost universally would LOVE to just write, and have their work read and enjoyed by the masses, nothing else to it. That's just not the reality of it. If you are trade published, it's hard getting an agent for many reasons, some of which may not necessarily have to do entirely with quality, but the demands of the market at the time. You may be writing sparkling vampires, and that trend has passed. You may be writing dystopias, and that was five years ago. Then it's hard getting a book deal. Lather Rise Repeat. Then you have to get the next book deal. Or you self-publish and you have more creative control, but instead of having *some* support in marketing, editing, cover design, you have none, so you're having to put time and energy into that and the market determines whether they want open-ended or series, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. But agents aren't out to diss your book or say it's wrong. They love books and are trying to earn a living. Whether or not they want your book is partially a reflection of the current market.

Lawless

Registered
Reaction score
do today's readers become angry if a book comes to a conclusion without teasing a sequel?

I certainly don't. I like standalone novels and I like series, but teasing a sequel (such as in "Maze Runner") is rather irritating.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hrm, the first Game of Thrones was okay as a standalone, fi that's all you read. .

Not sure how it could be seen that way. Members of the Stark family are either dead, captive, and/or hunted and on the run. Nothing is resolved or wrapped up in any way, but instead it's one massive cliffhanger. That's not normally the definition of a standalone. :greenie

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I have always loved sequels, going on forty years. I remember saying when I was very young, 'Is it a series?' If the answer was yes, I bought book #1. I read fantasy and soft SciFi.

I've since learned to appreciate standalone novels. they rock. But, in the fantasy genre I still hope for sequells.

There is also a flip side. If an author intends a series, I get irritated. Especially if the author intends a long series. I got fed up with Xanth after maybe 12 books. I realized I was being played for a sucker. On the other hand, some books that introduce me to a world, I learn the world, I love the world, and then I never see the world again - I get irritated because I invested that time in a world. And the author never wrote a sequel. I learned the world for what, to not see it again?

The business side makes sense too. If a book is a hit they want it to amplify with a sequel.

The key word is 'potential.' Wrap up your story. Make it complete. That's the best advice. But, if there is one hint that you could keep it going (a hint you are truly excited about developing) then that's your potential.

I think this makes sense.

Last edited:

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
It does make sense, thank you. :) I will keep the story complete, but yeah, in fiction as in real life, there are always possibilities lurking, just waiting to bloom.