Collaboration Difficulties----Did Anyone Else Experience This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibohan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a journalist and just published my second book. However, I was asked to write it with someone who is not a writer, but has an interesting story and is on the fringes of celebrity world. I did most of the writing, and got us a publisher, and we used my agent. But my co-author has been extremely difficult throughout the process and it has gotten worse, as the book is just coming out. She has been extremely critical of everything and has done very little to promote the book. I worked very hard to promote it, and got us signings at several places. But, one very small local book store invited us to do a signing, and made a mistake and only listed me on the publicity. (I sent the press release with both our names on it) Then a local reporter did a feature story and although she included my co-author in the story, she also only mentioned me for the local book signings. However, the bigger venues have listed both our names---and another local book shop failed to mention me, only my co-author!! Then a review on amazon said it was a great book written by me, and did not not mention her. I have no idea who wrote this.
However, my co-author became absolutely livid that she was not mentioned by the local book store and local reporter, and by the review on amazon. I told her that I have no control over this, and that I gave them both our names. We have several upcoming events and I am not looking forward to them...
Any advice? Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty with a co-author? I cannot wait until this collaboration is done!
Thank you!!
S.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The book is done; you have no control over what someone else writes; you gave them the correct info. I'd just be professional and polite in public, pretend it's all peachy. She'll have no choice but to follow your lead, lest she want to look like a lunatic. Privately, ignore her. Put in headphones, pretend you've got a call, say, 'I've explained I gave them the info,' whatever.

SepiaAndDust

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. Be professional and don't engage. She may consider you a mere tool for advancing herself, and tools don't talk back. If so, there's no point in having more interaction with her than is necessary.

sibohan

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent insight. I think she does view me as a tool, to gain legitimacy in her social circles. Thank you for your help.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Roundtable

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. This is not an ideal situation to be in.

I agree with the others: remain professional. Show them that you're the better person. It's more rewarding to yourself at the end.

And, though I think you know this, NEVER collaborate with them again.

sibohan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Good points! Absolutely, I will never collaborate with her again. She mentioned something the last time I saw her about another book, but there is NO WAY!!
Thanks again and have a good day.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you've sorted this out. Hope the signings went well!

Curious question: Did you have a contract in place with your co-author?

Status
Not open for further replies.