Beta Project, the 2018 edition

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
You're the best Sage! Thank you for all the hard work and late nights! :e2flowers

Beardon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work Sage! Can't wait for next year :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! Glad you guys all enjoyed the event! I’ll get some stats here in a few

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's stats time. These are all for what happened during the official timeframe of the Beta Project. We've received new crits and beta requests since.

44 entries
42 entrants

233 critiques
60 beta requests

6 non-entrant critters

Most requests on one entry: 5
  • Two entries tied for this (one of which received 4 of those requests in the last 48 hours)
Most crits on one entry: 9

Most crits done by one person: 43!
  • In comparison, I did 11 crits, and the next most (which was by a non-entrant, so you should also love them) was 10

Last edited:

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's an amazing amount of work on your part. And also a frightening amount of record keeping!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's stats time. These are all for what happened during the official timeframe of the Beta Project. We've received new crits and beta requests since.

44 entries
42 entrants

233 critiques
60 beta requests

6 non-entrant critters

Most requests on one entry: 5
  • Two entries tied for this (one of which received 4 of those requests in the last 48 hours)
Most crits on one entry: 9

Most crits done by one person: 43!
  • In comparison, I did 11 crits, and the next most (which was by a non-entrant, so you should also love them) was 10

Holy moly!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out the mad critter. I may have dropped a hint or two or like sixty somewhere in this thread.

I like to read my novel while I know that people are betaing it and try to guess at how they'll feel about certain parts of it (I'm weird like that). But I haven't gotten past the first 3 pages because I've been modifying based off comments I received on my entry. It's amazing how someone expressing confusion about a line can make you reexamine it, and suddenly you've written a whole new, clearer line with more colorful details than the first.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out the mad critter. I may have dropped a hint or two or like sixty somewhere in this thread.

I like to read my novel while I know that people are betaing it and try to guess at how they'll feel about certain parts of it (I'm weird like that).

I do this too, and I'm usually going "Oh it's awful, it's awful, oh this bit's not too bad. Ugh."

But I haven't gotten past the first 3 pages because I've been modifying based off comments I received on my entry. It's amazing how someone expressing confusion about a line can make you reexamine it, and suddenly you've written a whole new, clearer line with more colorful details than the first.

Wonderful, satisfying feeling. Which was your entry sage?

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I'm re-reading my crits now and I can't thank everyone enough. I feel like so much of it is spot on. And some of it is so clever, really helping me drill down into what I was trying for in the first place.

And the grammar help - oh my god I love you.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work, Sage.

I've been quiet of late because I've been in hospital for the last week, but I'm now back and going to have a peek at the entries.

Wow! 43 crits? jeepers

:snoopy:

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
A heartfelt thanks to the folks who took the time to read my entry and return their thoughtful critiques. The feedback was a real eye opener—hard to read, but good to know. I've already begun a major revision, and I'll be looking at all of my work differently.

"Disillusion is the greatest gift I can give you." —Socrates (the other one)

I'll try to catch next year's Beta Project, hopefully with a brand new manuscript to share.