Beta Project, the 2018 edition

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
15 minutes left. Time to finish up and send in those last entries.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Time is up! I will post a link to the entries as soon as they're all posted.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entries are up! You can find them here: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?336555-Beta-Project-2018-Entries, or by going to the beta forum and clicking on the Beta Project Subforum 2 subforum. Password is testing.

I noted it in the thread, but I'll note it here (probably not for the last time) too. When I send you your crit numbers, they will refer to the entry number, not the post number. The two are offset by 1.

At any time, anybody can send me critiques for any of the entries via PM. Entrants, you will receive your 3 mandatory entry numbers some time tomorrow.

But for now, I'm off to bed! :e2yawn:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hat's off to you, Sage. It's a heck of a project to take on, organize, and run. Thank you!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Ditto, and sleep tight, Sage. :thankyou:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome work, Sage!

Question for after you wake up: I didn't submit my own work, I just think I want to critique a few of the non-YA/Fantasy/SFF entries. Do I have to send you my crits by the June 7 deadline as well, or do I have a bit longer?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I believe you can just post a crit providing you're happy to use your own name (only need to send through Sage if you want to be anonymous)

Hopefully I haven't got that wrong!

Yep, if you want anonymity, you send to Sage. If you're fine just giving crit as you are, you can post directly in the entry's thread once it opens :)

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for running this Sage. Awesome work!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I remembered another problem we've had in the past. Please note that there are threads upon threads of entries from previous years. Once I post the crits, each entry gets its own thread. Make sure that you're in the 2018 thread with all the entries when critting, not one of the 2017 threads. I will pass on any mistakenly done crits, but if you're an entrant, it won't count towards your mandatory 3, and if you're not an entrant, it might just waste your time, depending on where last year's entrant is in the process.

Speaking of problems, there was a slight hiccup with a correction made to #44, and me pasting it into #43 instead. I have corrected the first 750 for each. Just in case someone's jumped in and started critting, the two entries are correct as of now.

Question for after you wake up: I didn't submit my own work, I just think I want to critique a few of the non-YA/Fantasy/SFF entries. Do I have to send you my crits by the June 7 deadline as well, or do I have a bit longer?
You can send them to me via PM or post directly in the individual threads that each entry will have at that point. I'll monitor the forum a while afterwards, and let entrants know if someone posts a new crit.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I will give stats after the critter puzzle.

In the meantime, I'll say that there are already beta requests :e2bouncey

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes reading it in a new format will highlight things you couldn’t see before

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
LOLs yes but how many formats before this stops happening?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Probably even after its published, tbh. :flag:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Probably even after its published, tbh. :flag:

Yeah probably. Like when you read a well-published book and find a typo even though you know it probably went through five rounds of edits and several drafts. Things always pop out when you read something in a different format. It's why one of the tricks to editing is to change your font and/or font color from the original one you wrote in. It forces your eyes to concentrate more than they would otherwise and keeps you from guessing/remembering the next words as easily.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and each fix risks new introductions ... Gah!

The idea of easily fixing a thing after publication is nice, though ...

Beardon

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a specific format that we should be using for the crits, or can we just follow our hearts? The majority of my critiques have been in an academic setting, and I'd just use MS word's comment feature in the document. But here I'd imagine that we're going for paragraphs and the like, correct?