Am I a writer?

Sheyen

Registered
Reaction score
I will answer that by saying "I write, I do not publish". I have a bunch of stories and ideas begun, haven't finished too many (although have finished smaller, less than 20k word, stories). I like to do the research, I like to play with names and ideas.

One of my hobbies is genealogy, and I use that in a couple of stories (searching for family), and in names, dates, places. For example, my stepmom has a great aunt who was named Modjeska, I am using that name for a witch/mage type character in a current story. Or, my grandmother was adopted, and I used our search for her birth family, in a book (never completely finished).

So here is to me trying to finally finishing a story, lol.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You are a writer, not a published author. Same here. You found a wonderful community.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you are a writer. As long as you write a story, you are a writer. It doesn't matter how long the story is. In Siren Bookstrand, there are lots and lots of 20,000-word stories. These are called novellas. As long as you write stories or poems, you are a writer. Yes, I said it again. When I started writing back in 2000, I had lots and lots of unfinished stories in my computer. It wasn't until 2002 that I finished a novel. It took me three months to do, and since I didn't know anything about word-count guidelines, I wrote a 575-page, single spaced story (that's like 275,000 words) and then, from 2002-2004, I finished a whole series. It had 160 chapters total, ten pages per chapter. Yes, up until 2011, when I learned about word-count guidelines, I used to write a lot. So, yes, you are a writer. Now, the novel I'm writing is 100,000 words, so I've come a long way. I lost all the monster novels I wrote, though.

maggiee19.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score

You are a writer, not a published author. Same here. You found a wonderful community.

This. Perfectly said :)

If being published and getting paid a living wage were the criterion, there would be very few writers.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

SepiaAndDust

Banned
Reaction score
If you write, you're a writer. If you work constantly to improve your writing, then you are a working writer, regardless of your publication history or even the quality of your writing.

Finishing that first story that isn't juvenilia gives a satisfaction that you will never forget. Best of luck, and happy writing!

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Sheyen. Welcome to AW and best of luck with your writing. If you're here, you are a writer.

Woodpig

Reading, writing, drawing, thinking
Registered
Reaction score
If you write, then you're a writer. If you publish what you've written, then you're a published writer. If what you've published earns you money, then you're a professional writer. If that money is enough to live on, then you're a successful writer.

Of course, this is a largely financial measure. Emily Dickinson published hardly anything, Kafka didn't earn enough to live on, and some writers tick all the boxes but produce nothing of merit. It's an upside-down world.

Welcome!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Other writers said it better, so :welcome: to the fold.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you are! Welcome to AW! I hope you'll find everything you need here to help you finish your stories and maybe even publish someday. Your work sounds pretty interesting!