New government requirement

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

I don't know how I'd react if someone from a company asks me if there's a man at home. I think it would involve never having anything to do with that company ever again (along with writing to their head office to say why) and reporting them for gender discrimination. And the words "fuck off" and hanging up. ...

It was quite the lecture about who-writes-the-checks-here and who-is-the-boss-of-whom-there. And other feminist topics of interest. I made him wish for a man to be home in his heart of hearts. :greenie

Post-service surveys are pretty much our only hope...if a company actually cares enough to use them.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Post-service surveys are pretty much our only hope...if a company actually cares enough to use them.
Last year I had a beef with my credit card company. It decided - out-of-the-blue - to charge a 1% "insurance fee" on all my transactions. In case I could not pay them, which was bull. I tried to talk them out of it.

So I let it sit for an entire year without any transaction on it. I used my other card instead. Came September I got myself a credit report (which was clean), cut the unused card with scissors, send it all back by snail mail, then waited for their call.

They called. Four days later. It was a odd conversation to say the least. One they didn't like.

They removed the 1% insurance fee. They got me a better card, one with more privileges.

Tell them you are unhappy and they will think you have no other options. Show them you actually have better options and they will come back crawling.

Show vs Tell.

Works even with banking.

-cb

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I finally heard back from someone at Key Bank. They were, of course, not happy with the bank manager and expressed corporate outrage at his behavior. The person I spoke to reported directly to the branch managers boss. While they could not tell me what steps would be taken to address this problem with the branch managers behavior. She assured me that his boss was a fervent supporter of the customer experience being a good one, and that my horrible experience with him would be dealt with. I expressed that I did not want this to be swept under the table and that I would like to hear from someone, anyone actually, who was above these people on the corporate ladder who could offer assurances that this would be dealt with. Of course personnel rules and confidentiality prevent them from telling me they will do. I told them that I was afraid to go back to this branch because I didn't want the manager to call the cops on me or threaten me with arrest anymore and a written apology from the branch manager would go a long way towards bringing me back into the Key Bank fold as it were. They said they would suggest that, but I don't hold out any hope. There was no new government regulation, the one they seem to think the manager was talking about dealt with currency amounts greater than ten thousand dollars. Which still didn't apply to me as the check was for 100 dollars. Far short of any banking requirement or government regulation. So he was just lying to me and trying to bully me into compliance. This is about the response I expected from them, but I am hoping against hope that the jerk manager will have to make a written apology for me.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I had a beef with my credit card company. It decided - out-of-the-blue - to charge a 1% "insurance fee" on all my transactions. In case I could not pay them, which was bull. I tried to talk them out of it.

So I let it sit for an entire year without any transaction on it. I used my other card instead. Came September I got myself a credit report (which was clean), cut the unused card with scissors, send it all back by snail mail, then waited for their call.

They called. Four days later. It was a odd conversation to say the least. One they didn't like.

They removed the 1% insurance fee. They got me a better card, one with more privileges.

Tell them you are unhappy and they will think you have no other options. Show them you actually have better options and they will come back crawling.

Show vs Tell.

Works even with banking.

-cb

The most spectacular way I've seen of getting the message across to a bank that you're happy with their service: Yorkshire Bank PLC charged this man £20 for a £10 overdraft. He legally changed his name to Yorkshire Bank PLC are Fascist Bastards and made them close his account and write him a cheque in his new name for the closing balance of 69p.

BTW there's a whole payment protection insurance (PPI) compensation thing going on here. Loads of banks charged loads of people PPI, most of whom would never have been eligible to claim under the insurance anyway, and a legal ruling determined that banks had missold PPI and that everyone who'd ever been wrongly charged PPI could get compensation, and some banks were fined millions of pounds. Now everyone's sick to death of all the ads and cold callers trying to get people to check if they're owed PPI compensation.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
It was quite the lecture about who-writes-the-checks-here and who-is-the-boss-of-whom-there. And other feminist topics of interest. I made him wish for a man to be home in his heart of hearts. :greenie

:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:

You know that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy when Rocket is laughing his ass off? That's me right now. Trump just signed an EO allowing banks to go back to their ways from before the Housing Crash. We ain't getting anything in the way of citizen-friendly legislation from this crowd.

What the actual fuck?! All that trading in dodgy debt? Maybe that's why Vlad Putin wanted Trump to win... to tell him to do that and collapse the US economy...! That is extremely disturbing.

Yes, I am interrobang level gobsmacked at Trump being so irresponsible and, frankly, stupid, even though I already knew he was irresponsible and stupid. I don't know if this is a genuine quote from Einstein or not, but it's done the rounds on the internet and it applies here: "two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
So he was just lying to me and trying to bully me into compliance. This is about the response I expected from them, but I am hoping against hope that the jerk manager will have to make a written apology for me.

Glad they are taking your complaint seriously. Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want the manager to call the cops on me or threaten me with arrest anymore and a written apology from the branch manager would go a long way towards bringing me back into the Key Bank fold as it were. (snip)
So he was just lying to me and trying to bully me into compliance. This is about the response I expected from them, but I am hoping against hope that the jerk manager will have to make a written apology for me.
And thank you for going through all this for everyone else out there that he also bullied, but were scared to complain for fear of being denied access to their money.
If you speak to head office again, ask about a big sign in the lobby, pointing out that there is no need for giving your occupation, etc information, to the bank unless you are making a transaction over ten thousand dollars. Make the branch manager sign the bottom of that. It would be interesting to know how many people gave in to his demands.

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
Even if you don't get the apology, you shouldn't have any more trouble out of him. Because now he knows that you know he was full of shit. And he knows you won't just take abuse lying down.

But now I wonder what exactly was he doing? What was his goal in making people comply with this?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But now I wonder what exactly was he doing? What was his goal in making people comply with this?
To get people to comply. To give orders and have others obey them is thrill enough for some people. It gives them that feeling of power that they crave.
Bet if the staff could be polled, he'd be described as an officious little git.