Legal Advice Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
To Admins/Mods: Please move this thread if it is in the incorrect forum.

In the process of creating my book series (I am new and unpublished), I created several hundred characters including many characters I cannot use for the books. Some of these characters (including their settings and plots) may be worthy of full-feature, animated films. I understand the Shrek series of films began from a 32 page kids book called Shrek! (with the exclamation point). Although it was not intended as such, I think the book can be used as something of a sample of a potential screenplay; i.e. something beyond a movie treatment (that, if also released as a book, can provide proof of concept if sales are good).

I would like to, one day, put out an anthology of my characters (a collection of short books like Shrek!) and their mini-adventures to display a portfolio of my work (for future consideration of screenplay or character sales, if they do well). I have bigger interests, but I will leave it at these, for now.

For my books, I will create a blog. I would like to put some samples (without illustrations) of these characters and mini-adventures on it to: 1) realize the aforementioned; 2) help land an agent and publisher for my books; 3) help sell my books. These mini-adventures will focus on pre-school-age readers, but everyone is welcome to read.

Questions:

1. If I put these characters and mini-adventures online, as samples for anyone to read, what potential risks may I face (and what should I do to minimize these risks)? What if I add them to Patreon via my Blog (as incentive material for fans of my site to support me); i.e. would I lose a lot of potential sales of books and interest from full-feature-animation movie studios if I choose Patreon (or the new YouTube "Sponsor" feature when it is implemented outside of beta testing)?

2. What is the best (most-effiicient, without my being published,) route to take to realize my goals with these characters that may be worthy of full-feature-animation projects? I'd rather go the author route than any other means of doing this. Should I pitch the idea to a literary agent (anthology or as individual books)?

3) Would you recommend I have both the mini-adventures and treatments prepared, or just worry about the mini-adventures for now?

Thank you for any assistance to these queries. If anyone needs clarification, please ask.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You're asking about fans and agents and movie deals and as far as I know, you have yet to write the book. This is just procrastinating. Daydream about these things all you want. That's fine. Many of us do. But the very first thing you need is a book. Nothing is going to happen without that. You want to write kids books about these characters, fine, those count. You can get the agent and the fanbase with that. But you have to write something first. This is nothing but "cart before the horse." All these legal ramification questions about something that doesn't even exist yet are the cart. Your book is your horse. Your cart's not going anywhere without it.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You're asking about fans and agents and movie deals and as far as I know, you have yet to write the book. This is just procrastinating. Daydream about these things all you want. That's fine. Many of us do. But the very first thing you need is a book. Nothing is going to happen without that. You want to write kids books about these characters, fine, those count. You can get the agent and the fanbase with that. But you have to write something first. This is nothing but "cart before the horse." All these legal ramification questions about something that doesn't even exist yet are the cart. Your book is your horse. Your cart's not going anywhere without it.

I want to know information of characters I created that cannot be used in my books (for future reference and so I can start planning how to manage tasks). If my books do not turn out (get published or do well), I want a backup plan in place. Diversify assets.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If you want legal advice, you should go talk to an IP attorney and not random people on the Internet.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
If you want legal advice, you should go talk to an IP attorney and not random people on the Internet.

Fair enough. I thought I would start here, if anyone had knowledge or experience to share.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We can't legally give you legal advice.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
To Admins/Mods: Please move this thread if it is in the incorrect forum.

In the process of creating my book series (I am new and unpublished), I created several hundred characters including many characters I cannot use for the books. Some of these characters (including their settings and plots) may be worthy of full-feature, animated films. I understand the Shrek series of films began from a 32 page kids book called Shrek! (with the exclamation point). Although it was not intended as such, I think the book can be used as something of a sample of a potential screenplay; i.e. something beyond a movie treatment (that, if also released as a book, can provide proof of concept if sales are good).

I would like to, one day, put out an anthology of my characters (a collection of short books like Shrek!) and their mini-adventures to display a portfolio of my work (for future consideration of screenplay or character sales, if they do well). I have bigger interests, but I will leave it at these, for now.

For my books, I will create a blog. I would like to put some samples (without illustrations) of these characters and mini-adventures on it to: 1) realize the aforementioned; 2) help land an agent and publisher for my books; 3) help sell my books. These mini-adventures will focus on pre-school-age readers, but everyone is welcome to read.

Putting samples on your blog is not likely to help you find a publisher or agent. To do that, you need to query in the usual way.

If you put stuff up on your blog to help you find an agent or publisher, how will this help you sell books? Your books won't exist as books until you have that agent or publisher.

I think you need to rethink your plans.

Questions
:

1. If I put these characters and mini-adventures online, as samples for anyone to read, what potential risks may I face (and what should I do to minimize these risks)? What if I add them to Patreon via my Blog (as incentive material for fans of my site to support me); i.e. would I lose a lot of potential sales of books and interest from full-feature-animation movie studios if I choose Patreon (or the new YouTube "Sponsor" feature when it is implemented outside of beta testing)?

2. What is the best (most-effiicient, without my being published,) route to take to realize my goals with these characters that may be worthy of full-feature-animation projects? I'd rather go the author route than any other means of doing this. Should I pitch the idea to a literary agent (anthology or as individual books)?

3) Would you recommend I have both the mini-adventures and treatments prepared, or just worry about the mini-adventures for now?

Thank you for any assistance to these queries. If anyone needs clarification, please ask.

You need an agent. Preferably one with experience in dealing with character licensing.

Note that animation studios will need a fully-realised character--so you'll need images as well as the written words; and for that you'll need an illustrator if you're not one yourself. Don't try to find an illustrator yourself. Get your agent. Get your publishing deal. Your publisher will find an illustrator and make sure the correct rights and permissions are in place for this to proceed. If you find your own illustrator you are going to run into all sorts of problems down the line.

Also, please don't ask us for legal advice here. We aren't lawyers and can't provide you with the answers you need. I'm going to leave this open for now, as there is some discussion to be had without us veering into legal mine-fields; but if I feel that the conversation is going too far into lawyer-land, I'll have to lock it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.