Dozing off while Black

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From CNN: A Black Yale grad student dozed off while studying in her common room, so a white student called the cops on her.

According to Siyonbola, she was working on a paper in the Hall of Graduate Studies when she fell asleep in a common room. Another female student came in, turned on the lights and told her, "You're not supposed to be sleeping here. I'm going to call the police."

Who does that?? It reeks of such pettiness and hate. The number of times I’ve gone to my college’s dorm room and come across a sleeping student...

The article didn’t mention any disciplinary action taken against the white student. Why isn’t she being held accountable for calling the cops for no good reason? I mean, well, I know why, but grrgghh.

This Newsweek article names the white student who called the cops, and apparently this isn’t her first time calling the cops on Black students for doing innocuous things.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is true everywhere, but in many places in the US if you call 911 for the fire dept and it isn't an emergency you get fined. I'd say this would be a good first step for calling 911 because ohnoblackperson, but there are too many police who believe that is an emergency. ��

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Well, she must have been dozing in a threatening manner. Surely nobody would call the police for no reason at all.

:sarcasm

FFS, sleeping in common areas is a time-honored college tradition.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this just before and was pondering it -- the student who called the cops seems either just racist or racist and unhinged. In the video, the student who had the cops called on her says clearly that the student who called is unstable (though she may not mean that in a literal way) -- and that she'd called the cops on a black male student who was walking down the stairs for being black and in the stairwell and thus being menacing and 'not belonging there,' so....

I dunno what to think.

Also not sure what to think about Yale not making VERY clear to her that this shit is unacceptable, and issuing some kind of 'let's realize this is an inclusive place' statement, when they've got one student calling the actual cops (not even campus security, not that that'd be acceptable) on students doing student things. Would never have occurred to me either to call anyone over seeing a person asleep in a student rec area. A (black) friend of mine once took Nyquil for a cold after staying up studying (don't do that -- hot tip) and passed out facedown over the arm of a couch in the lounge (like if you'd been standing by the side of the couch looking at the seat and tipped onto it) for 14 hours. People just walked around her, and occasionally checked to make sure she was breathing, heh.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Also not sure what to think about Yale not making VERY clear to her that this shit is unacceptable, and issuing some kind of 'let's realize this is an inclusive place' statement, when they've got one student calling the actual cops (not even campus security, not that that'd be acceptable) on students doing student things.

An email was sent to the student body last night, basically saying this. I think a fast (as in, should have been sent out last night) and clear public statement is needed, some type of disciplinary procedure for the student who called, along with repercussions for any future incidents along these lines.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The part of me that wants to live in a world with fluffy clouds and bunnies gamboling on green fields wonders "could the white student possibly been warned about people from off campus sleeping in Yale public spaces? And perhaps it wasn't racially motivated, just a simple security check? Young women away from home for what may be the first time, can be more concerned about stranger danger than people with more experience."

Then that part reads that the white student had previously reported a black student for walking in the stairwell. It's now under the bed crying in disillusionment.

But seriously, Yale needs to get this woman out of there. It's one thing to be cautious about strangers, its another to have the idea that "black people can't be students at Yale."

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The part of me that wants to live in a world with fluffy clouds and bunnies gamboling on green fields wonders "could the white student possibly been warned about people from off campus sleeping in Yale public spaces? And perhaps it wasn't racially motivated, just a simple security check? Young women away from home for what may be the first time, can be more concerned about stranger danger than people with more experience."

Then that part reads that the white student had previously reported a black student for walking in the stairwell. It's now under the bed crying in disillusionment.

But seriously, Yale needs to get this woman out of there. It's one thing to be cautious about strangers, its another to have the idea that "black people can't be students at Yale."

They're also grad students (so not so young or likely away for the first time) and it wasn't really a public space, as I understand it from the video -- it was the lounge/study area within a Yale housing/dorm type building. The student being questioned tells the cops her ID works fine to get into the bldg, when they ask if it's current or whatever, as apparently there was a discrepancy with the spelling of her name in one db or the other when they called it in off her ID.

Sorry optimistic otter!

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
They're also grad students (so not so young or likely away for the first time) and it wasn't really a public space, as I understand it from the video -- it was the lounge/study area within a Yale housing/dorm type building. The student being questioned tells the cops her ID works fine to get into the bldg, when they ask if it's current or whatever, as apparently there was a discrepancy with the spelling of her name in one db or the other when they called it in off her ID.

Sorry optimistic otter!

Ah. I went to university in a time so long ago that one could attend classes, go to the library (without checking out books), go to the Grad House for a beer, doze off on a sofa at the Student Union, all without ever showing your student ID. So we did occasionally have people hanging around who weren't actually students. Most were harmless, although one did attack a women in the library with a hammer one night.

And incidents like that are, I suppose, why this generation can't go anywhere without ID.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

A quick Google of the white student's name brings up her Yale bio that says she is also an attorney and women's rights advocate. Talk about somebody who should know better.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From a blog post that Sarah Braasch wrote for The Humanist years ago:

And then I had a eureka moment. Some—not many, but some—of the slaves didn’t want to stop being slaves. A small number wanted to remain with their owners or return even after being freed. t

She is the epitome of white feminism. Not amused by Yale not making it very clear that calling the cops on students for nothing is not acceptable. All they’ve done so far is released some lovey-dovey statement about how Yale needs to work on being more inclusive blah blah blah. So far it’s just lip service with no action. I’ve got a great suggestion on how to make it more inclusive—kick the racists out.

ETA: I’ve always seen calling the cops as a last resort. Something I would do if I felt like there was a genuine threat to my safety, or others’. I’ve only done so once in my life, when I witnessed a car accident. Since when did calling the cops become something people do ‘cause they’re affronted by the mere presence of other people, and why is this okay? Shouldn’t the cops be like, “Btw here is a nice big fine for wasting our time when we could be responding to actual emergencies”??

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I went to university in a time so long ago that one could attend classes, go to the library (without checking out books), go to the Grad House for a beer, doze off on a sofa at the Student Union, all without ever showing your student ID. So we did occasionally have people hanging around who weren't actually students. Most were harmless, although one did attack a women in the library with a hammer one night.

And incidents like that are, I suppose, why this generation can't go anywhere without ID.

Yeah all IDs have chips -- you have to tap them at gates/doors to get into the bldg.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
"You're not supposed to be sleeping here. I'm going to call the police."

Seconding Putputt that this quote is absolutely infuriating, hard not to read a lot of ugly motive in it.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
She is the epitome of white feminism.

I'm sorry, that's offensive as hell. If a black man beat a white woman, would we say "he's the epitome of a black civil rights activist"?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
From a blog post that Sarah Braasch wrote for The Humanist years ago:

She is the epitome of white feminism. Not amused by Yale not making it very clear that calling the cops on students for nothing is not acceptable. All they’ve done so far is released some lovey-dovey statement about how Yale needs to work on being more inclusive blah blah blah. So far it’s just lip service with no action. I’ve got a great suggestion on how to make it more inclusive—kick the racists out.

ETA: I’ve always seen calling the cops as a last resort. Something I would do if I felt like there was a genuine threat to my safety, or others’. I’ve only done so once in my life, when I witnessed a car accident. Since when did calling the cops become something people do ‘cause they’re affronted by the mere presence of other people, and why is this okay? Shouldn’t the cops be like, “Btw here is a nice big fine for wasting our time when we could be responding to actual emergencies”??

People call 911 for bullshit allllll the time. Youtube is filled with released 911 calls concerning 'I'm at a drivethrough and they didn't give me all my nuggets,' and other such inanities.

I'm in the same boat as you -- was taught 911 is for *emergencies*, and was also taught to call the precinct for non-emergencies, which I learned fairly recently when I suggested it to someone who was pondering whether something warranted calling the cops, is not something everyone knows you can do.

I called 911 when I saw a manhole explode (shoot into the air, giant boom, followed by spewing fire) right in front of me, as that seemed to warrant it. I once called the precinct for something else and when the cops responded, they told me I should've called 911, heh.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that's offensive as hell. If a black man beat a white woman, would we say "he's the epitome of a black civil rights activist"?

That’s...not even close to being equivalent. The balance of power isn’t there in your example. And I’m sorry if it offends you, but white feminism is a thing. Sarah Braasch is apparently an activist for women’s rights who goes around reporting Black people for existing. What better example is there of white feminism? I’m actually genuinely curious about what part of it offends you...she’s basically a textbook example.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'm talking about things I probably shouldn't have. I am respectfully leaving to go do more reading.

Last edited:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, whaaaa? I haven’t come across that use of “white feminism”. I remember reading entire books and essays about it written by women of color, and that was ages ago. Here is one of those books. Definitely worth reading to get a good understanding of white feminism and how it harms WoC, instead of the bastardized version that Gamergaters have adopted.

It’s reeeally not a way of saying women’s issues are less important. It’s a way of saying that when it comes to white feminism fighting for women’s rights, women of color tend to be abused and left behind, or ignored, for the sake of the betterment of white women exclusively.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Not that the hippo can't answer for herself, but 'white feminism' is a specific thing, not what I think you're thinking. I don't think Put was suggesting that it was just the response of a feminist who was white. Emma Watson discusses the whole white feminism/intersection thing here.

Interesting. While I've been familiar with the concept of "white feminism" for a while, I didn't realize there was a specific name for it.

Having just read up on it a bit, I'd agree that this woman sounds like a textbook example of a white feminist, as originally posted.

However, I was initially confused because I interpreted the comment to mean this particular incident was directly caused by/associated with feminism, which didn't really make sense to me, seeing as both parties were female and the incident itself didn't hinge on the sleeping student's gender. The caller would undoubtedly have called the cops on a male student just as readily (if not more so, as 1 - men get this treatment more often in general and 2 - it's a female dorm).

My final conclusion. This incident is straight racism, perpetrated by someone who considers herself a feminist, and whose racist views and conduct conclusively place her in the sub-category of white feminism.

Is that correct?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I could see checking if the 'sleeping' person was sleeping, and not dead or dying of an OD, but just to wake some student up to hassle them? And, call the cops?
Agreeing with everyone who says that she should be fined for wasting police time. And, hey, why not ban her from the public areas of the dorm, if she can't tell the difference between a sleeping student and an actual threat?
I'm surprised that she didn't have to push sleeping white kids out of the way to get to the sleeping black kid.
If this isn't racism, I'd like to know what else she'd call it.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Since when did calling the cops become something people do ‘cause they’re affronted by the mere presence of other people, and why is this okay? Shouldn’t the cops be like, “Btw here is a nice big fine for wasting our time when we could be responding to actual emergencies”??

People call 911 for bullshit allllll the time. Youtube is filled with released 911 calls concerning 'I'm at a drivethrough and they didn't give me all my nuggets,' and other such inanities.

I'm in the same boat as you -- was taught 911 is for *emergencies*, and was also taught to call the precinct for non-emergencies, which I learned fairly recently when I suggested it to someone who was pondering whether something warranted calling the cops, is not something everyone knows you can do.

I called 911 when I saw a manhole explode (shoot into the air, giant boom, followed by spewing fire) right in front of me, as that seemed to warrant it. I once called the precinct for something else and when the cops responded, they told me I should've called 911, heh.

I work in telecommunications and can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that if someone were to call 911 and the situation ends up not being an emergency, that is not only something that the caller can be fined for, but in certain localities, these are also considered to be offenses that warrant arrest themselves.

I actually heard that YouTube one about getting overcharged for chicken nuggets at a Mickey Dee's too....SMH

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think that in these days of school shootings, calling police into an institute of higher learning for no reason at all would warrant special (negative) attention. Causing alarm, etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quick Google of the white student's name brings up her Yale bio that says she is also an attorney and women's rights advocate. Talk about somebody who should know better.

And all the more reason she would refuse a demand to see her ID (she already unlocked her room door proving she lived there). The police did not have reasonable suspicion of anything other than the unhinged and/or overreacting person who called.