Psycology Question

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably allow my real-life attitude toward dreams to squash it. I don't believe dreams mean anything at all, although they can be interesting. They might include someone or something that's been on my mind, but what happens? No consequence.

Of course, many others believe differently. Maybe they'd be your potential readership.

Maryn, with better dreams since she stopped waking to an alarm

Lawless

Registered
Reaction score
I would say it sounds interesting, especially when written by a woman.

In case you didn't know, almost all men fantasize about being seduced by a woman. That is probably the main reason why there are so many books and movies where women drag man into bed – male writers just can't keep that life-long yearning out of their writing. I've even caught myself doing it.

That's why I've been looking for books by female authors to read – they depict intimate relationships much more believably (on average) than men do.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
He's being tempted by something. Somewhere in his head he is being tempted by an idea, a thought, an impossible dream, that's taking the shape of a woman. Maybe it is an imaginary dream girl, or someone he's seen somewhere, but it might be merely a symbol for a different life, a different choice, or something he, awake, thinks is unattainable.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say he should relax because many or most men have similar dreams or fantasies. An interesting question is whether the dream/fantasy is centered on someone he knows and potentially may have access to, or on some generic female-without-a-face. But I'm with Maryn---dreams are generated by the lizard brain, and may have meanings but most likely don't.

the.real.gwen.simon

Nuclear Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I would say *Chin in hand* Tell me more.

Like, is he fantasizing about his secretary? Tormented by memories of his ex-wife? Longing for his girlfriend he left for the war? Being mind controlled by a succubus? Sure, in reality dreams are just the random flotsam in your head getting shaken up and thrown on the table like brain Yahtzee, but in fiction they can have any meaning you want. And each of those stories is very different from each other.