Shampoo for Chickens?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'll spare you the gory details and just say one of the girls needs a bath. I've been researching how to bathe chickens, and I've learned the basics of it. Only one thing confuses me: what shampoo to use. One person says don't dish soap, another say use mild dish soap. One says baby shampoo or any mild pet shampoo will do, another says there's bird-specific shampoos. So many option and opinions...

Does anyone have any recommendations for chicken shampoo? Preferably something I can find at the local pet store at least.

Thanks!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
This is a really good overview of your basic chicken bath.

Dish soap is, indeed, just fine, but dilute it within the bathwater rather than applying directly to the bird, because 1) it can be really hard to rinse off in its concentrated form and 2) it dries out the skin.

Epsom salts are also safe for birdy bathwater.

If you need to wash the chicken's head (generally only necessary if there's a head injury), I'd forgo the soap completely and instead gently irrigate the wound with streaming water until it's clear of debris (if it's dried and crusty, this may take a little time, but birds are pretty OK with it once they get over their initial fear and realize they're not being hurt and warm water feels nice). I've had to do this with quail a couple times, and I just turn on the tap and hold the bird under it so the water flows across the wound without getting in their eyes/nose/mouth. Then gently pat dry and apply a thick slathering of basic triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin). Some ointments have added ingredients to help relieve pain and whatnot - do NOT use these, stick to the plain vanilla stuff).

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Massively off topic, but just be grateful you're not trying to shampoo a cat.

Cat ended up cramponing his way out of the bath via my late partner's hands, arms and chest. Cat finished up on other half's head with claws fully extended for maximum purchase.

Good luck with birdy.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Good to know dish soap is OK to use.

Marissa D said:
Don't wildlife rehabilitators use Dawn on birds and other wildlife that get caught in oil spills? If it works for them...
That's right, though if a bird's covered in oil, you're not going to worry if Dawn will dry their skin.

Tazlima said:
If you need to wash the chicken's head (generally only necessary if there's a head injury)...
Fortunately there's no injury involved (if there was, I'd've thought vet rather than bath), but that's good to know for first aid purposes. On the downside, she needs the bath on the opposite end, so that's not gonna be fun.

talktidy said:
Massively off topic, but just be grateful you're not trying to shampoo a cat.
Not as unrelated as you think; chickens have claws, too. :eek: And a sharp beak. I'll likely be in charge holding her down while my sister does the washing, so I'm in danger of getting wing-smacked, too.

Unfortunately, it's not Melodee, the sweet Ameraucana, that needs the bath. It's Annie, the crotchety Australorp, who needs it! I'm just glad it's not Chick, the Buff Orpington bully.

On a lightly off-topic note, the mention of Dawn dish soap reminded me of this little meme.

That'll probably be the look Annie give us afterward. :tongue

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Actually the opposite end is far easier to clean, at least in my experience. Just use nice warm water deep enough that it hits the affected area even if the bird is standing, and let them stand there and soak until the mess is softened and easy to wash away. A lot of birds seem to really enjoy a nice warm soak. Some you have to supervise so they don't jump out, but others will settle in after a bit and even doze off.
:e2shower:

And of course... it would be the cranky one. Ain't that always the way? Good luck. May nobody bleed today.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized what this topic should have been called.

"Shampoo for Chicks"

Would've thrown everyone a fruit loop!

:ROFL:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Well, looks like the bath's been delayed by a lack of wash tubs and the transportation to go shopping for some. I'm afraid we can't use the bathtub; Mom said no. We also have a terrier/chihuahua mix in the house, and if Annie got away from us either she or the dog could end up at the vet's office. Maybe both.

On the upside, the delay gives me time to ask what size tub we'd need for a standard Australorp. I was thinking about regular old dish pans, but I'm not sure if they're big enough.

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is my new band name.

Can you not use the sink?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I think the sink would have the same basic problems as the bathtub, plus a few others. This is going to be a 2-person job, and there's not enough room around the bathroom sink. Washing her in the kitchen sink would turn it into a 3-person job; 2 to wash Annie and one to bleach the sink while we dry her. (True, we'd have to bleach whatever sink we washed her in, but it's a more immediate issue in the kitchen.)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think the sink would have the same basic problems as the bathtub, plus a few others. This is going to be a 2-person job, and there's not enough room around the bathroom sink. Washing her in the kitchen sink would turn it into a 3-person job; 2 to wash Annie and one to bleach the sink while we dry her. (True, we'd have to bleach whatever sink we washed her in, but it's a more immediate issue in the kitchen.)

Is someone gonna be waiting to lick the kitchen sink?

I mean... I'd wash the sink too (before and after, if I'm bathing something in it), but... it's a sink. Takes two minutes, and how immediate can it be? Where would you wash an infant? Presumably the kitchen sink, no? Where do you wash the dog?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too arthritic for this crud!

We got the tubs on Saturday, and washed Annie Sunday. She tried to make a break for it in the middle of the bath, but she didn't get very far. Like, maybe, two inches. Unfortunately, Sis noticed that Zoey (Rhode Island red) needed a butt bath, too. Getting Annie to the tub was relatively easy; we lured her within grabbing range with mealworms. Didn't work with Zoey. Not only did the other chickens hog all the worms, but Zoey decided to play chicken round-up when she saw us coming. We eventually caught her, though.

No blood was drawn, and I didn't get wing-smack, so that's good. I'm still tired and sore, though.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Is now the time to ask: "Do the chickens have large talons?"

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
I'll spare you the gory details and just say one of the girls needs a bath. I've been researching how to bathe chickens, and I've learned the basics of it. Only one thing confuses me: what shampoo to use. One person says don't dish soap, another say use mild dish soap. One says baby shampoo or any mild pet shampoo will do, another says there's bird-specific shampoos. So many option and opinions...

Does anyone have any recommendations for chicken shampoo? Preferably something I can find at the local pet store at least.

Thanks!

We always used a birdbath for our chickens though they all stayed in the coop outdoors. No soap was ever used and they just flopped around in the bath. I don't believe they have such a thing as chicken poo :)