Facebook

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
How good is the conversion from the author pages? At the moment, it seems most people go to Amazon (perhaps Goodreads) for reviews and social proofing. Certainly, the word of mouth aspect usually constitutes enough for a prospective reader to buy the book, and author pages are simply a supplement for more info. But I wondering how useful author pages are in actually guiding readers to purchase a work.

I'll get maybe one or two sales when I post an announcement about a new thing. There's no knowing if people visit the page at other times and follow links. Used just for big announcements, it doesn't take long to update the page, so it's not a big time concern. I'm dubious about the value of spending a lot of time on it, precisely because the greater the success, the less likely it is that followers see announcements. Facebook actively punishes people for success in the hopes it'll force them to pay for advertising.

In addition, do authors here feel a presence on Goodreads or Amazon is not enough? And how come?

Other sites never replace having your own author website. As for other social media, I guess it depends on your success. If you're someone who threw a book on Amazon and suddenly you were a bestseller, you probably don't need it. If you're a mere mortal like most of us, Twitter is useful. I haven't had many sales, but the majority have come from Twitter, in one way or another.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In this context, how do you define "properly"?

Sorry I haven't checked back here in a bit. For me, properly is knowing what to boost and why. I almost never want to boost something that isn't actionable, where I'm asking them to sign up for something, clicking to a product page or liking/following me on whatever platform I'm trying to boost at the moment. That way I have a second round of data (other than what Facebook will provide) that I can take a look at to see how the boosted post did and then I can analyze the types of words I use and what gets more results. For instance, do readers click more on a boosted post that describes a book as scorching or sizzling? Then I can use that information in other ads or in blurbs etc.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that many self-published authors have used Facebook successfully to help promote their books. Does anyone in this forum have any experience using Facebook for promotional purposes? If so I would love to hear about it. How you used it . . . and what success you might have had. Thanks.
I haven't but there is a free book on how to do it available on Amazon right now by Mark Dawson. The price was right so I downloaded it. lol

I mean I did try to use Facebook ads for my trade published books a long time ago but didn't see any results but I spent very little on the ads. I did other things that got results so I wasn't very impressed by Facebook but I've heard of other authors having significant success.

Last edited: