• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for 70K literary historical novel (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. Looking for a beta reader for my current writing project. I'm still only on my first draft, so at this early stage I'm looking for less of a beta reader and more of a sounding board. Someone I can bounce ideas and tell me what ideas work and what don't. Of course I still want constructive criticism, I'd just prefer a more in-depth critique after my first draft is finished. Right now I'm 70K words in and roughly halfway through, but I'm currently taking a brief hiatus to rewrite my first 5 chapters. As for the novel itself... I want it to be a serious, intelligent, and morally-complex story focusing on two characters from opposite sides of World War II. It primarily takes place in Nazi Germany and occupied Poland and covers a period from 1939 to 1948. Given the time period/setting there were inevitably be some graphic violence, along with explicit sex and sensitive subject matter. Just wanted to get that out of the way. If you're interested, please shoot me a pm! I'd love to give you a plot summary as well as send you the outline if you're interested. It covers about 90% of the story except for the third act.

winterlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing in the same genre, also about Nazi Germany. I'll offer to read at least a few chapters for you. As you can see I'm pretty new around here. I don't spend a lot of time here because whenever I do I find that the entire morning or afternoon has gotten away from me, and I haven't gotten any work done. (But, inevitably, I have learned something during my visits here.) This site can be overwhelming.

I'm strictly an amateur when it comes to critiquing others' work, just so you know.

gmlakes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. Looking for a beta reader for my current writing project. I'm still only on my first draft, so at this early stage I'm looking for less of a beta reader and more of a sounding board. Someone I can bounce ideas and tell me what ideas work and what don't. Of course I still want constructive criticism, I'd just prefer a more in-depth critique after my first draft is finished. Right now I'm 70K words in and roughly halfway through, but I'm currently taking a brief hiatus to rewrite my first 5 chapters. As for the novel itself... I want it to be a serious, intelligent, and morally-complex story focusing on two characters from opposite sides of World War II. It primarily takes place in Nazi Germany and occupied Poland and covers a period from 1939 to 1948. Given the time period/setting there were inevitably be some graphic violence, along with explicit sex and sensitive subject matter. Just wanted to get that out of the way. If you're interested, please shoot me a pm! I'd love to give you a plot summary as well as send you the outline if you're interested. It covers about 90% of the story except for the third act.

Did you find someone to read your ms.? If not, maybe I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.