Aspiring YA novelist

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm to this forum. I heard about this forum from the MFA program director, Dr. Nicole Peeler, at Seton Hill University. I graduated college with a BA in creative writing. I had hoped to pursue an MFA degree at Seton Hill University, but I withdrew from the program. I came in with a novel idea that is going to be a series. My mentor told me it was no good because it was too close to World of Warcraft, D&D, and others. I was crushed because I have been planning this series since freshman year of high school. I tried to write a new project that dealt with sexual violence in a high fantasy setting, but I failed the term. (It was a bad story, I'll admit it; the core idea could work, but I need to take out the sexual violence and revise it from the ground up.

I am here because I want to find critique partners/groups. One of my core skills that I developed as an undergraduate was critiquing others work. I want to network with people and get help and help others. I'm going to lurk a little bit and go through the forums. I do have a facebook page as a free alterative to a website: Matthew Herceg.
I have one polished story on there from google docs. The Lion and the Boy. I haven't submitted it yet because I'm so nervous about it.

My biggest challenges as a writer: time management and proofreading. I hate commas.

I look forward to networking.

-MH

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, MH! Wander on over to the YA forum and let us get to know you :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

pholoto15

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm to this forum. I heard about this forum from the MFA program director, Dr. Nicole Peeler, at Seton Hill University. I graduated college with a BA in creative writing. I had hoped to pursue an MFA degree at Seton Hill University, but I withdrew from the program. I came in with a novel idea that is going to be a series. My mentor told me it was no good because it was too close to World of Warcraft, D&D, and others. I was crushed because I have been planning this series since freshman year of high school. I tried to write a new project that dealt with sexual violence in a high fantasy setting, but I failed the term. (It was a bad story, I'll admit it; the core idea could work, but I need to take out the sexual violence and revise it from the ground up.

I am here because I want to find critique partners/groups. One of my core skills that I developed as an undergraduate was critiquing others work. I want to network with people and get help and help others. I'm going to lurk a little bit and go through the forums. I do have a facebook page as a free alterative to a website: Matthew Herceg. https://www.facebook.com/matthewherceg/

I have one polished story on there from google docs. The Lion and the Boy. I haven't submitted it yet because I'm so nervous about it.

My biggest challenges as a writer: time management and proofreading. I hate commas.

I look forward to networking.

-MH

firstly welcome.

out of curiosity, have you developed any further projects/ideas? And what happened to the fantasy that's like D&D , world of warcraft etc?

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
So my first idea I came up with that was rejected as a project for my MFA (the WoW inspired one) is what I'm going to write now. The Guardian Mage.

The second series was my failed project which I will salvage and rewrite it.

The third idea is an idea that my mentor loved in the program, but I never began writing it because I dropped out.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Matthew, welcome to AW. Lots of help to be found within the forums, best of luck.

PantheraCorax

Registered
Reaction score
What a shame your work was rejected for that! I’m sure it can be reworked a bit and made to be less like a copy of something else. It would stink to have put in so much work for nothing!
But anyhow, good luck with your writing! And welcome!