The Last Days of John McCain

McCain Doesn't Want Trump At His Funeral. Can Trump Come To Your Funeral Instead?

• Hell Yes, He Can! MAGA!

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Hell No, He Can't! GTFO!

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • Eh. I'm Dead. Who Cares?

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may not be the end, but it sure looks like the end.

PHOENIX — When former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. traveled to Senator John McCain’s Arizona ranch last Sunday to spend a few hours with his ailing friend, the two reminisced about the “crazy senators” they had served with, the overseas trips they took together for decades and the friendship Mr. McCain forged with Mr. Biden’s two sons.

But the conversation on the sun-splashed deck off Mr. McCain’s bedroom was not all nostalgia.

“Here John knows he’s in a very, very, very precarious situation, and yet he’s still concerned about the state of the country,” Mr. Biden said in an interview. “We talked about how our international reputation is being damaged and we talked about the need for people to stand up and speak out.”

As he battles brain cancer and the debilitating side effects of his aggressive treatment, Mr. McCain himself is reckoning with his history and the future, as he and a stream of friends share memories and say what needs to be said.

No one is saying goodbye, not explicitly. The son and grandson of admirals, Mr. McCain “doesn’t like overt sentimentality,” as his friend the former chief of staff Grant Woods put it. But his visitors are telling him they love him, how much he has meant to them — and together they are taking care of unfinished business.

The Republican senator encouraged the former Democratic vice president to “not walk away” from politics, as Mr. Biden put it before refusing to discuss a possible 2020 presidential run. Mr. McCain is using a new book and documentary to reveal his regret about not selecting former Senator Joseph I. Lieberman as his running mate in 2008. His intimates have informed the White House that their current plan for his funeral is for Vice President Mike Pence to attend the service to be held in Washington’s National Cathedral but not President Trump, with whom Mr. McCain has had a rocky relationship.

And some of his associates, though not his family, have started to quietly put out word that they want a “McCain person” eventually appointed to fill his Senate seat, a roster that includes his wife, Cindy.

Like any other politician, John McCain's career is rife with contradictions, such as his admission of regret that he passed over his friend Sen. Joe Lieberman as his running mate in 2008 in favor of Gov. Sarah Palin. Yet by picking Palin, McCain set the GOP on a path that led to his nemesis, Donald Trump running an insurgent campaign, shredding the Republican establishment and winning the presidency.

No one knows the day, the hour or the minute when McCain crosses over to the other side

McCain is a paradox, but he is also a man worthy of respect. I'd prefer to give him some while he's still here and beat the rush later.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Trump at my funeral, because every event he attends turns to chaos - whether because of Trump's own antics, or the media circus that accompanies him.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It would be deeply disturbing to pretty much all of my friends and family, and I'd hate for my husband or any other loved one to get arrested (or shot) for punching* the POTUS. In any case, I can't imagine why #45 would want to go to the funeral of one of his detractors, except to be an ass and stir up trouble.

*Seriously, as annoyed as I've been by other conservative political figures over the year, he's the first one (except maybe for Cheney) I've seriously wanted to punch.

Last edited:

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I find the details of what Sen McCain wants at his funeral uncomfortable and sad, but that's entirely on me. The man has the right to see to his affairs the way he chooses to. Why would anyone ho's been repeatedly insulted by Trump want that man at their funeral? What would anyone wish that torment on their grieving family?

Hell yes, Sen McCain. Flip that man the bird and deny him a platform to spew his hatred.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd find a way to come back from the dead and throttle that horse's ass myself if he showed up to my funeral.

Which will be really interesting since I want to be cremated.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find the details of what Sen McCain wants at his funeral uncomfortable and sad, but that's entirely on me. The man has the right to see to his affairs the way he chooses to. Why would anyone ho's been repeatedly insulted by Trump want that man at their funeral? What would anyone wish that torment on their grieving family?

Hell yes, Sen McCain. Flip that man the bird and deny him a platform to spew his hatred.

It's a good thing Hatch is finally retiring because it's embarrassing to see an old man break out the knee-pads and the Chap-Stick as he continues to suck up to Trump.

Never go Full Jeff Portnoy, Orrin. :e2kissy:

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't vote in the poll, because my selection would have been "Hell yes, he can, and make a total ass of himself by showing up when blatantly uninvited."

Nothing prevents Bone Spurs from going to it, whenever it occurs. The questions are:

Is he stupid enough to try such a gambit? (to which the answer is Yes)
Can he get any adulatory attention by doing so? (probably not)
Does he think he can get adulatory attention by doing so? (probably)
Can anybody persuade him not to go, if he decides to do it? (probably not)
Would he consider a weekend at Mar-a-Lago more desirable? (probably).

caw

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I am so sick of people saying the president is a good man. No, no he is not. The man dodged the draft 5 times under the guise of medical ineligibility, yet was healthy enough to play 5 sports in college during those medical deferments. He then mocked McCain for being captured. McCain has every right to decide who does and does not want at his funeral. Hatch should shut up about it, it is not his place to question such a personal decision.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Trump attending McCain's funeral is on par with Westboro Baptist showing up and protesting. A revolting perversion of what this country is supposed to, used to, strive for, and a repugnant thievery, making someone else's funeral about their agenda.

I have very mixed feelings about McCain. So much to respect and admire, but I can't? won't? pretend I don't blame him for being a significant contributing factor to this disastrous administration. When he chose Palin as his running mate, because he was someone so widely respected and admired across both parties--he flung open the door to legitimizing incompetence and bigotry. When he supported Tp at any way in any moment before and after the election, any vote, especially after Tp publicly belittled and disparaged his service and status as a hero, he sent a message that was ok to do so.

But. Funerals are for those left behind. Why in the world should Tp be encouraged to attend and mutilate this step in the healing/closure process for McCain's family?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, he doesn't want to just 'attend', he apparently wants to give a eulogy. Thus making a mockery of that, as well.
(I thought of the Westboro idiots as well, but I was wondering if those bikers who blocked the Westboros would be willing to take on the Secret Service.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can't help thinking that McCain, and the other elected Republicans and former POTUS candidates, share much of the blame for things getting to where they have with the party--the election of a populist demagogue who revels in being as offensive and hypocritical as possible. McCain may have been one of the more moderate GOPers in recent years, one who still had friends in the other party and attempted to reach across the aisle with legislation, but he did little to stem the tide.

When push came to shove, he capitulated with his party's platform of hate and fear, and he went along with, even promoted, policies that favored the wealthiest Americans only, not to mention ones that promoted misogyny and the rejection of anything resembling social progress or justice for anyone who wasn't a white, straight, cisgendered male of wealth. Maybe he feared any attempt to take it on openly would lead to defeat at the polls in his increasingly hateful state, or maybe he really thought that remaining engaged with his party would ride out the wave and put it back on a more reasonable path, or maybe he started to drink the same kool aid. I have no idea what he thought. Maybe he sees his mistakes now and is having to come to terms with them, now that he has nothing left to lose. I guess that is between him and whatever God he will be meeting soon.

Regardless, Trump eulogizing a man he has openly derided and mocked would be the ultimate hypocrisy (assuming he isn't really planning on lambasting McCain, which is a real possibility with this piece of refuse). I can't imagine why McCain's family would ever want him there, and memorials are ultimately for the family and other loved ones of the deceased.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help thinking that McCain, and the other elected Republicans and former POTUS candidates, share much of the blame for things getting to where they have with the party--the election of a populist demagogue who revels in being as offensive and hypocritical as possible. McCain may have been one of the more moderate GOPers in recent years, one who still had friends in the other party and attempted to reach across the aisle with legislation, but he did little to stem the tide.

When push came to shove, he capitulated with his party's platform of hate and fear, and he went along with, even promoted, policies that favored the wealthiest Americans only, not to mention ones that promoted misogyny and the rejection of anything resembling social progress or justice for anyone who wasn't a white, straight, cisgendered male of wealth. Maybe he feared any attempt to take it on openly would lead to defeat at the polls in his increasingly hateful state, or maybe he really thought that remaining engaged with his party would ride out the wave and put it back on a more reasonable path, or maybe he started to drink the same kool aid. I have no idea what he thought. Maybe he sees his mistakes now and is having to come to terms with them, now that he has nothing left to lose. I guess that is between him and whatever God he will be meeting soon.

As will we all someday. McCain simply has a better sense than most how soon the meeting will occur.

I'm hoping the title of this thread is premature by months and years. McCain has done a LOT of foul shit in his time in the Senate. He's no champion on civil rights, protecting a woman's right to make her own reproductive decisions or demonstrated any interest in equal rights for LGBTQ Americans, income inequality, or keeping this nation out of dumb wars, but he doesn't deserve to allow an orange-skinned jackal to have the last laugh.

But that's probably exactly what will happen and the hell of it is a portion of the blame will sit on McCain's shoulders because he plucked an obscure, reactionary GOP governor because she oozed folksy charm, had nice legs, gave good camera and put his party and his country on the fast track to the Idiot America we now live in.

When historians — or, really any of us — look back at President Trump’s ascent to the presidency, they will identify many moments over the years, big and small, that could be identified as warning signs of the catastrophe to come. There was the Great Recession, the aftereffects of which hollowed out communities that thrilled to Trump’s nativism. On a much more micro scale, there was the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2011, where Trump was ritually humiliated by Seth Meyers and Barack Obama, perhaps fueling the white-hot rage behind his White House bid.

But in purely political terms, one other moment leaps to mind: the day in 2008 when John McCain upended expectations by picking then-Alaska governor Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential running mate. It’s not as if Republicans hadn’t worn the badge of anti-intellectualism before (see: Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush). But Palin personified a dangerous new strain. She (infamously) didn’t read much; put forth few policy positions beyond “drill, baby drill”; excelled at whipping up crowds into a frothing frenzy; and attacked Barack Obama in brazen, personal terms. Stylistically, she seemed to be almost completely at odds with McCain, a deeply conservative traditionalist who prefers military wars to cultural ones.

But by and large, the GOP base adored Palin. Its loving embrace of such an unhinged figure was an early sign that the Republican Party was far more willing to tolerate qualities once thought to be disqualifying for public life than many people understood.

Setting aside Joe Lieberman’s many faults, before the 2008 election and since (and the fact that McCain-Lieberman would be unlikely to perform better among voters than McCain-Palin did), it’s striking that, even at this late stage, McCain won’t admit that Palin represents the same variation of grievance politics he now abjures.

McCain, who President Trump has taunted in grossly personal terms (“I prefer war heroes who weren’t captured”) has been one of the few Republicans to consistently take on the president. He has attacked Trump’s “spurious, half-baked nationalism” and furiously criticized his continuous praise of Vladimir Putin. And while he often votes for the president’s priorities, making his everlasting “maverick” label something of a joke, he was the deciding “no” to kill Obamacare repeal in the Senate, an act of apostasy that has earned Trump’s perpetual ire.

But McCain is not just unpopular with the far right because of his #resistance moments. He’s also out of sync with the GOP base in most other ways. He’s a national-security hawk in a time of Republican isolationism, a centrist on immigration in a party full of America Firsters. Beyond his policy positions, McCain is out of step in another important way: he wants Republicans to step back from the toxic, grievance-based ideology that now dominates the party.

When John McCain departs the stage he will find his party divided between those who will mourn his passing and those who applaud it seeing his death as an opportunity to flip his Senate seat from a Never Trumper to a Forever Trumper.

And it was John McCain himself who set the wheels in motion. :Shrug:

Roxxsmom said:
Regardless, Trump eulogizing a man he has openly derided and mocked would be the ultimate hypocrisy (assuming he isn't really planning on lambasting McCain, which is a real possibility with this piece of refuse). I can't imagine why McCain's family would ever want him there, and memorials are ultimately for the family and other loved ones of the deceased.

The family and the man himself don't want Trump there, but should he choose to go where he isn't wanted or even invited, who's gonna tell the POTUS he can't come in?

Trump would go if only to spite his enemies living and dead. Trump would go with a full bladder and a malicious intent to take a whiz on McCain's grave. :e2brows:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's one good thing about knowing your time is coming. People drop their masks and let their true faces show.
A White House official called Meghan McCain on Thursday to apologize after she mocked Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) cancer diagnosis during a meeting earlier in the day, a source told The Hill.

The Hill first reported Thursday that special assistant Kelly Sadler brushed off the senator's opposition to President Trump's nominee for CIA director, Gina Haspel, saying, "It doesn't matter, he's dying anyway."

Sadler later called the senator's daughter Meghan McCain to apologize, according to a source.

Meghan McCain has not publicly responded to the comments herself, beyond retweeting her mother, Cindy, who chided the White House official.

"May I remind you my husband has a family, 7 children and 5 grandchildren," Cindy McCain wrote.

In a normal presidency, the Chief of Staff or the President himself would call Ms. Sadler into their office and tell them to turn in their i.d. card and don't worry about cleaning out your desk. All your junk will be in a box by the door. Get out. That would be the decent thing to do.

This is not a normal presidency. Trump will probably promote Sadler because he doesn't do decent.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
In a normal presidency, the Chief of Staff or the President himself would call Ms. Sadler into their office and tell them to turn in their i.d. card and don't worry about cleaning out your desk. All your junk will be in a box by the door. Get out. That would be the decent thing to do.

This is not a normal presidency. Trump will probably promote Sadler because he doesn't do decent.
She'll get the Hannity treatment.

-cb

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
And, he doesn't want to just 'attend', he apparently wants to give a eulogy. Thus making a mockery of that, as well.
(I thought of the Westboro idiots as well, but I was wondering if those bikers who blocked the Westboros would be willing to take on the Secret Service.)

You know what the eulogy would be, right? A rambling discourse that after the first few sentences never mentions McCain (except to repeat a few slurs as "jokes"), while telling everyone how Trump is the Greatest Ever at Everything.

I don't agree with everything the McCains have stood for, but no family on earth deserves that.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The family and the man himself don't want Trump there, but should he choose to go where he isn't wanted or even invited, who's gonna tell the POTUS he can't come in?

The McCains have some backbone. If they tell the Secret Service they'll not accept security details, I doubt Trump would be allowed by his staff to attend, and I think he's too much of a coward to risk it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Exactly. He's not the white knight so many are painting him as nowadays, and the only reason he's looking like one in his beaten, rusted armor is because of the thick layers of swamp slime coating the skins of those surrounding him. (I have a very unfounded spitball idea that he's psychologically incapable of defying superiors/those with real or perceived power over him after his time as a POW - the things he says when he's not looking them in the eye versus how he acts when push comes to shove, sometimes it almost seems like different people, and not just in the usual posturing-politician way... though, as I mentioned, it's nothing I could prove.) He did help create this monster with his campaign, whether through active choice or simply rolling over to the Powers That Be; I still remember that feeling when he lost control of his own party's hatred for demanding they treat his opponent with basic human decency and got booed at his rally, the feeling that a monster was stirring beyond the control of normal politics and basic civility.

That said, as others have mentioned, no family deserves what That Man would do to their memorial service. Here's hoping the family sticks to their guns on this one.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I still remember that feeling when he lost control of his own party's hatred for demanding they treat his opponent with basic human decency and got booed at his rally, the feeling that a monster was stirring beyond the control of normal politics and basic civility.

I think McCain would be seen as a typical politician (who had a horrible thing happen to him in his military service), if it weren't for the weird turn the Republican party has taken in the 21st century. McCain is at least partly responsible for that, when he cowered before the Tea Party and accepted Palin as his running mate. As others have said on this thread, this empowered the dark soul of conservatism by giving it a veneer of respectability. But among the old-timers he seems to still have a memory of an earlier time when politicians on both sides of the House treated each other with decency, and being a conservative didn't mean simply trying to "piss off the liberals." Unfortunately, the realization has come to him too late.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Running Mates was the thing that finally settled my opinion on Johnny Mac into something mildly positive, not that I can think about him very long without getting angry. From the grotesque comments he seems to get volleyed against him regularly, I always get the impression Lefties might actually like him better than his fellow GOPers, if that is the case then for all his admirable qualities I don't know if he deserves our idolization. And weak grumbling about 'the lack of civility these days' just doesn't cut it for me any longer.

But come on, everyone knows he's American AF, if an ultra-popular leader of his party once in the spitting distance of the presidency goes to his end getting mocked and humiliated this way, it should be a sign to everyone where towing the Trump line gets you. Good for him and the family for pushing back, but if Maverick's still got something to say he's biting back, maybe nows the time to come out and say it.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Suggestion for the next poll: What are your plans to celebrate Trump's impeachment and removal from office?

I have a bag of fireworks stashed in my closet: Roman candles, sparklers, strings of Crocodiles a couple three cherry bombs and a fountain that plays a Sousa march as it sprays. (Okay, the label on the fountain tells me that it is musical. If the song isn't patriotic I will freaking break out my kazoo and buzz out Stars and Stripes Forever.) --s6

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't John McCain, by virtue of his service to his country, in the military and afterwards, entitled to a military presence at his funeral? (No, I am not suggesting that the 21 gun salute be performed with live ammo!) But, a nice big brass band, well up in the louder Sousa marchs, and instructed to start playing the minute Trump opens his yap, might be useful.