• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

One or two spaces

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another former two-spacer who relearned to do one. As the article itself states, the study was conducted on monospace type - which isn't the norm in many settings these days - and only produced a dubious minor improvement to the reading experience.

Unlike battles over issues like the Oxford comma (which can and does change meanings of sentences, and has even affected court cases by its presence or absence in contracts, IIRC), the one or two space "battle" strikes me as the height of nitpickery.

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
Well, you learn something every day.
I never knew of the double space 'rule' and have never used an Oxford comma (although perhaps I should have done on occasion).
Of course modern spell / grammar checkers are set up to highlight the above 'errors'.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The two caveats mentioned in the article are big ones; I don't think I can take the study too seriously.

They were using Courier, which is a monospaced font, instead of a variable spaced font, which would adjust to make the space after the period a bit bigger. Variable-spaced fonts are the whole reason why the double-space after the period went out of style.

And the only people for whom the double-spaced period aided reading comprehension were the people who were double-spacing after they typed a period. Wow, shocking; they showed a preference for their own style.

One space, for me, but don't sweat the small stuff. It really doesn't matter much.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
When I learned to type (on a manual typewriter) it was two spaces. I can't recall when I switched over to a single space - probably when variable fonts were available? Unless I'm using courier I really can't see much of a difference. My wife insists that two spaces should follow a period, and I say it should be one. Marital strife strikes again.

Brightdreamer: [...] the one or two space "battle" strikes me as the height of nitpickery.
Yeah - I agree, seems like a weird thing to argue about. Even more than that though, it's ridiculous to spend money doing a study about it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the things that comes up a couple of times a year.

1. Two spaces for a monospaced font. These are fonts in which every single character takes up the same amount of space in terms of width. Courier is monospaced.

2. One space for a proportionally spaced font. These are fonts in which a lower-case e takes less space than an upper-case W, for instance. Times New Roman, Palatino, Bookman and most other standard book fonts.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter too much, as long as you are consistent. Your publisher may have specific guidelines; follow them.

Typesetters are accustomed to dealing with this. And there's nothing wrong with composing one way, and changing later, if necessary.

But be consistent.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
What everyone else has said. It didn't take me long to learn to type only one space (hey, it's less work), and now double spacing looks odd to me. I've also read that double spacing is more likely to create "white space rivers" in a document, which can be very distracting to people with certain visual or cognitive differences. This is a good reason not to use monospaced fonts as well, and not to right justify manuscripts (unless specifically requested to on submission guidelines, of course).

If you really can't help typing that extra space after a period, you can always use Word's search and replace function prior to submission, where you replace every double space with a single one (or, if you are converting your font to a monospace for some reason, you can take every period with one space after and convert it to a period with two spaces after).

I doubt there are very many people out there who will summarily reject an otherwise flawless manuscript if you double space after periods, but it's one of those "little things" that can put some readers off and possibly have an additive effect. I've read enough rants about its screaming that the submitting author is "old," and evidently being "old" is a bad thing to some people who consider manuscripts, resumes*, and letters of application, so...

*Though so does having attained one's terminal degree back in the 90s or earlier, and I don't know what one can do to hide that.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me to see 1 space or two--but I haven't been able to unlearn typing two spaces when typing more than a few sentences. That find & replace feature is quite handy.

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
One space. I'm fairly young and came after the end of the two-space era, but I've heard that in the current publishing climate, one space is the standard to adhere to.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
What everyone else has said. It didn't take me long to learn to type only one space (hey, it's less work), and now double spacing looks odd to me. I've also read that double spacing is more likely to create "white space rivers" in a document, which can be very distracting to people with certain visual or cognitive differences. This is a good reason not to use monospaced fonts as well, and not to right justify manuscripts (unless specifically requested to on submission guidelines, of course).

[...]

I've seen pictures people have made by using white space within blocks of text.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Two spaces. But it's an easy change if I come across an editor who asks for a single space. And Scrivener will convert it for me.

Emily Patrice

Registered
Reaction score
I've also read that double spacing is more likely to create "white space rivers" in a document, which can be very distracting to people with certain visual or cognitive differences.

This is likely to happen if the text is right-justified, especially if hyphenation is turned off (in typesetting software). Doesn't require visual or cognitive differences for this to be distracting! (Unless I have one I'm not aware of.)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious. What normal page of pure text would warrant right justification?

This is likely to happen if the text is right-justified, especially if hyphenation is turned off (in typesetting software). Doesn't require visual or cognitive differences for this to be distracting! (Unless I have one I'm not aware of.)

Emily Patrice

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious. What normal page of pure text would warrant right justification?

Sorry, I meant justified or fully justified. For some reason my publishing house called it right justified (as opposed to right aligned, with a ragged left margin) because our books were always left justified (as are most), so it went without saying.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant justified or fully justified. For some reason my publishing house called it right justified (as opposed to right aligned, with a ragged left margin) because our books were always left justified (as are most), so it went without saying.

I follow your first sentence. Can't say the same about the second. :Hug2:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The crazy stuff we argue about.

One or two spaces after a period?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-proved-them-wrong-2/?utm_term=.43267051c64b

My wife and I are arguing about this right now.

Back in the day, I learned to type (on an Olympic manual typewriter with a monospaced font) using two spaces. I retrained myself later when word processors and proportional fonts came into vogue. So I'm a one-spacer.

And the study mentioned in the article can't be called scientific by any stretch. The sample was very small, there were a number of factors they didn't control for, and the way it was constructed made it inevitable that they'd get the result they did.