• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

One or two spaces

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Two spaces. Then a search and replace.

The definitive answer. I too learned to type on a standard typewriter, with Courier the only typeface option, and yes, two bloody spaces after every sentence-ending punctuation mark. Otherwise, I got nicked a grade. But I ultimately got an A in that eighth-grade class in which I was the only male student. And I am now a hella good touch-typist, to this day. And, yes, I occasionally still hit the space twice after a sentence.

BUT, I always take the moment (and it's no more than a moment) to do a global replace of two spaces with a single space, when I'm ready to submit anything anywhere. I never find a good reason to have two consecutive spaces in a document, so this works fine.

caw

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
I too unlearned doing two spaces after having it drilled into me by grade school typing lessons (on computers, but ones old enough that pixelated monospace font was still the norm) and then in my adult years reading a book on typography that said otherwise.

One thing that will probably keep me firmly in the one space camp is the fact that we live in a web wold and the way HTML is rendered by browsers, the second space will be ignored unless you use markup that will force it. So now knowing that one space is acceptable, I'm not going to be bothered about fighting it.

Last edited:

Lisa Driscoll

Lisa D.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sassycatchat.com
I'm a two spacer at heart. I'm desperately trying to unlearn this, but apparently my thumbs are not quick on the uptake. If I'm having a slower writing day I'm pretty good about following the new one space rules. However, if I really get going and I'm typing quickly I fall back into two spaces.

On a side note, I prefer to type in Times New Roman. I've switched my MS to Courier New (10pt) and I HATE that font! It's too big and bulky IMHO and I can't get used to it. Don't get me started on the double spaced MS either - unless an agent etc. SPECIFICALLY asks for double spaces, the most I can commit to is a 1.5 line spacing. I have no idea why I have such visual quirks LOL

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Don't get me started on the double spaced MS either - unless an agent etc. SPECIFICALLY asks for double spaces, the most I can commit to is a 1.5 line spacing. I have no idea why I have such visual quirks LOL

Standard manuscript format calls for double spacing. But there's no reason you can't do your composing in whatever format you prefer, then convert it to standard format (one inch margins, double spaced, 12 point type) when submitting. And there's no reason to use Courier New if you don't like it--it's no longer the standard.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
What'sthisthingaboutoneortwospaces? :)

Ifyouthinkaboutit,wereallydon'tneedspacestoreadeffectively.Ifmemoryserves,therewasonceatimewhenLatinwaswrittenandneverusedspacesinbetweenwords.Nowgrantedbytodaysstandardsthatprobablymakesithardertoread,butitsurelyconservedspacewhendocumentswentoprint.IwonderifGutenbernknewsuchthingswouldbecomeconcernswhenheinventedmovabletype.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the double spaced MS either - unless an agent etc. SPECIFICALLY asks for double spaces, the most I can commit to is a 1.5 line spacing. I have no idea why I have such visual quirks LOL

I do a lot of academic editing, and let me assure you, the reason for double-spacing the manuscript is to make life easy for editing. It's a good reason, and that's why it is a standard. Don't fool around with submitting any physical manuscript that isn't double-spaced, unless you are specifically instructed to do something different.

What you like in a manuscript format is inconsequential when you submit for the consideration of somebody else. Since altering a text format is ridiculously easy today, there is no reason for you not to adhere to the conventions.

caw

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I do a lot of academic editing, and let me assure you, the reason for double-spacing the manuscript is to make life easy for editing. It's a good reason, and that's why it is a standard. Don't fool around with submitting any physical manuscript that isn't double-spaced, unless you are specifically instructed to do something different.

What you like in a manuscript format is inconsequential when you submit for the consideration of somebody else. Since altering a text format is ridiculously easy today, there is no reason for you not to adhere to the conventions.

caw

This.

You can draft your manuscript in single-spaced mistral with no less than three spaces after every period and nobody will care or even needs to know. When it comes to sending out submissions, you find the guidelines and follow them. It's not just that following the conventions is no trouble at all for most people; it's also that people who don't follow the guidelines are likely to weed themselves out as being difficult to work with because they either can't or won't follow simple instructions.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I do my drafting in a text editor whose reflow command reformats the current paragraph to 80 characters per line with hard line breaks and two spaces after a period. When submitting, I convert my text to conform to the publisher's preferred style and file format. That usually means single-space and in Word format (because of "track changes").

Registered
Reaction score
Eins, eins, baby. (I arrived after the two-space era.)