Making A Website To Promote The Book

Hunt & Peck

Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a website since it would be a good way to promote the book, but am wondering just how far I should go with it.

Essentially, I could put the entire book on the website (one chapter per website page / post. Doing that would wipe out the need for the book, which I don't want to do since the book would (ideally) be a source of income and the website would not. So, I'm struggling with just how much I should include on the website.

Since each chapter of the book will be about an individual hiking trail, what type of information should I include on the website? I'm thinking I can make a page for each trail hiked and include photos and short videos, which obviously cannot be put in the book, but what else?

I want the website to support the book...not replace the book...so I feel like I'm walking a fine line.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Put up a single sample excerpt.

Have a list of the others that are included in the book.

List the features / categories of information included in each entry.

By all means, add additional date that you couldn't include in the book, like videos, etc.

Consider a "downloadable" freebie for people who bought the book and email you with a code, or people who opt-in to a mailing list or email newsletter.

Last edited:

Hunt & Peck

Registered
Reaction score
Ewwwww...I really like that the whole idea about access to further info for those who purchased the book!

I can have teaser info on the website to drive people to the book and put the website name/link in the book, which will drive people to the website. Then, perhaps I can give video access codes to people who post a photo of themselves reading the book while surrounded by nature.

The trick will be to ensure the videos are worth going the extra mile (so to speak) to gain access to them...don't want people to feel as though they were misled into doing something that wasn't worth the effort. Perhaps at the end of each trail I can give a synopsis of what I personally thought of the trail...something that may not necessarily be in the book...something with a bit more insight.

Hunt & Peck

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update...

Built the website tonight. It's a very rough draft, but at least the skeleton is up, and now just needs meat on the bones.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
First you'll need to get people to your website. Have you thought how you're going to do that? Where are people going to find a link to your website? If the link is in only the book then that's not really a promotion for the book, is it. Besides, Google has about 15 pages about hiking in Indiana, and I'm sure there are a few books out, too.

Next, you will need to find a way to make the casual web surfer read your website and not just close it after one quick glance. First thing that stands out is that it's not obvious who is your audience. Experienced hikers or novices? Book readers or outdoor adventure lovers? Is it about your personal experience or about general advice? The current intro sounds low key, too unfocused for the experienced hiker and not "writerly" enough to advertise book-writing skills.

At closer look, it seems to be aimed at the first time, unexperienced hikers, since you mention how going into the woods may be "daunting". It seems you're aiming to encourage those reluctant people to try hiking, because it's quite fun really, or at least read about hiking because you have this great book out. But at the same time the very title of your website and book is about how difficult hiking is (it's about "misadventure" and the "mean" stuff) and the whole colour scheme and low key wording looks quite far away from the idea of "fun". If you want the website to advertise a fun book that can be read for pleasure, then there should be more fun stuff. More stuff that piques the interest, too, like a sample of those "misadventures" and a sense of what makes the Midwest mean.

Hunt & Peck

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Curlz. I put the website together in about an hour, so still very much a work in progress. There are quite a few forums (hiking, camping, exercise, etc) I can post links on to drive traffic to the site. Visiting other sites and link-sharing is another option. Word of mouth is yet another option. What I notice about the books I've check out and the websites I've looked at all had one thing in common...they are perfect hikes. No mistakes, no learning experience, nothing. Just a perfect hike from start to finish. That's quite misleading. If someone was thinking about taking up hiking as a hobby or as a way to get into shape, read things like that, then went out onto trails, they'd be hit in the face by reality with a sledgehammer. Maybe not on their first hike, but eventually they'll realize it's not as perfect as they were led to believe, and that may lead to the give up. I want to provide some honesty...something the competitors aren't offering up. My hope is people will get into hiking (and the camping that will occasionally accompany the hiking) and realize that while it's not always easy peasy, it's still worth doing.

Yes, the book/site will be geared towards beginning/novice hikers. Although, experienced hikers may get some enjoyment out of the book/site as well. My thought is the book will be a mix of entertainment (sharing things about each individual trail and the occurrences on those) and informational in regards to providing info on the individual trails, while the site will be more for pictures, videos, gear reviews, what works, what doesn't, fitness benefits experienced, etc. Does that sound feasible?

Perhaps the title is misleading? The use of "misadventure" and "meanwest" was sort of portraying the uneasiness associated with the woods that people who've not spent time in them have. Yet, then wanting them to realize that while mishaps occur, it's still worth doing, and the more you do, the more you learn, and the more you learn, the easier it gets. An example of an "oops" would be going hiking without first checking the weather, not taking some type of poncho or rain gear, and getting drenched. Been there, done that, and just kept on hiking because it's not as though I could call an Uber. Should I rework the title? Perhaps something more straightforward? "Hiking for Beginners" is bla. But maybe something along that line?

sensei

Registered
Reaction score
The issue I have with this approach is that if you are figuring out how to promote the website, you might as well just instead promote the book. In many ways, the website should serve as a discovery function for the book. Given lack of of awareness, the website should be strong enough to stand on its own merit, with its own materials. In many ways, this is the issue I have with book pages / author pages. If people are visiting the sites already, they are most likely aware of the book or author already, and simply trying to get more information.

I wonder what a better approach would be for a first-time author with no prior branding or promotion?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest changing the title from the current 'Misadventures in the Meanwest' just because that's the title of your first book. If you do others in the same vein, it may be confusing to people who never saw the first one.

Maybe a variant? Which do you think would work better with future titles? 'Misadventures' or 'Meanwest'?
'Misadventures: for the Edification of a Novice Hiker' or 'How the Meanwest was Won'. Something that suggests a lighter touch.
Also, there's a disconnect, I think, between calling yourself a novice, and then putting out a book of advice.
Perhaps more along the lines of 'Things I learned when I was a novice hiker, so you don't have to.' (Or, 'Things I am learning, so you can improve your learning curve.')

Emphasise that you were a novice, and now you are taking what you know, sharing it with others, who may want to continue learning and experiencing along with you.

And, I would, possibly, put a bit more information on why you, personally, like hiking. Why, if your only experience was forced marches in the Army, why did you take it up later? Over, say, bicycling, or triathlons, or boating in some form?

Something specific. For me, I love the sound of the woods. The 'no cars or people' that, once you get used to it, is full of leaves rustling in the wind, and birds chirping, and things falling off trees. The whole place feels alive. This creeps some people out. Everyone has something different - maybe open up about what appeals to you in an activity that you make sound painful and kind of unpleasant.

Last edited:

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
I built my own author's website from scratch out at GoDaddy, but then I have the benefit of having worked at a ".com". Anyways, what I did is start by establishing a domain name around my pen name, and then create a landing page advertising my books and offering a menu to other stuff as well. I'm assuming you'll be writing more books, yes?

I would suggest you recreate your landing page to follow some accepted standards of presentation - such as not requiring the reader to do a lot of scrolling or reading. Think of the page more as an attractive portal leading to more cool things. A nice background and graphics that don't require a lot of time to load up. A menu such as you already have (good job, there). Someplace where you can show your book cover - the landing page is as much an advertisement as anything else. Think book cover for your website. Get the person's attention. Make them want to click.

Details on your book deserves its own page, and again, the rule is not to make the page so busy that folks have to scroll. If you can't get it all on one screen, then have a sub-menu and put specific details (example chapter) there. You don't want to throw too much at a visitor at once. A nice shot of the book cover or complementing graphic. A blurb, maybe. Again, rule of thumb is to fit everything on one page at a font size that's comfortable to the eye.

I wouldn't consider throwing the whole book up there. I mean, you want them to buy it, yes?

Your knowledge of hiking is a huge plus when it comes to folks actually coming to use your website. You might have a blog page (that usually does mean some scrolling due to the nature of the thing) or link to one that covers your day to day exploits. I wouldn't put in everything that's covered in your book, though. Again, the purpose here is selling the book, yes?

All my own opinion, and some of it I'm sure might not apply. Hope a few tidbits help.