• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Am I alone here? Two questions~

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
First question. Does anyone else run into huge writers block when they outline their entire story? I have stopped outlining because every time I do I get bored with the story and stop writing. But this leads to another problem of me having no idea where my plot is going because I didn't outline it. So I try to just make a basic plot of where the story is going. That leads to my second question. Almost every time I make a basic plot I realize that the plot is an overarching plot for more than one book and I need a mini or sub plot for each book while they make their way to the final goal. Does anyone else end up accidentally doing this?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like to outline fiction because I get bored when I know where the story is going. I've already told it once, in the outline, so get impatient writing the actual book.

I start writing having a character in mind, and a few events planned for them. I write scenes as they come to me; I allow all sorts of characters introduce themselves. I keep going until I have about fifty thousand words down, and then I pause and take stock. I start to arrange the scenes I have in some sort of order; and when I do that I realise what I need to write to connect the scenes into a reasonable flow. I always end up with several sub-plots to deal with. Somehow it all ends up reaching a reasonable conclusion.

It's all edge-of-seat stuff. I love writing like this. I know lots of other writers who follow the same sort of path. If it works for you, it's good.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I find that everyone is on one side or the other of the outline debate. I have found that when I go back to edit, outlining everything helps me fix mistakes and put together parts that I missed, but I seriously cannot outline a story before I write it or I will never write it.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
My personal problem right now is that I'm working on a pirate novel. And I know the whole plot of the overarching story is that my main character wakes up after being frozen in ice for 57 years and finds out that her previous captain the greatest pirate in the world disappeared without a trace ten years ago. So the plot is for her to find out what happened to him. But that plot is going to take way more than one novel to get through. So now I'm about 15k into this story now and I am not sure what the main conflict of the story is going to be which has me fumbling for where I'm going with the story.

The characters are about to uncover a map that Calico Jack (her previous captain) left behind. But I know before they can follow that map they're going to end up getting hurt and some other dramatics. So trying to figure out the main conflict of this novel while still slowly moving along with the overarching plot has me stumped. Does this plot have to even deal with the overarching plot? Or can it just be some sort of conflict or problem that gets in the way of them continuing on their main path?

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
First question. Does anyone else run into huge writers block when they outline their entire story? I have stopped outlining because every time I do I get bored with the story and stop writing. But this leads to another problem of me having no idea where my plot is going because I didn't outline it. So I try to just make a basic plot of where the story is going.

I don't try to outline my entire story either - it does get boring, and of course one gets stuck at some point or another. I just jot down the events that I know will definitely happen in the story, then fill in the blanks, expand on the writing, and it all comes together (at least that is my new writing process). I think you're on the right track by outlining as much as you need to - no more, no less.

As for your second question, it has happened to me as well, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as each of your book has a coherent structure and depth. In general, I think writing is a pretty open/loose process (like all creative processes), and most people have to discover what works for them personally.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
My personal problem right now is ...

(Just read your new post)

Something like your story happens in the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. *spoilers ahead*

It's about a group of people who are on a mission to find a slumbering Welsh king. While they don't find the king in the first book, they complete the crucial step that will probably help them find him in the next books. In book 1, we get introduced to the main characters, their conflicts, lives, etc. but we always know that the four boys are really bent on finding the king, and most things are centered around that (there are other subplots such as characters' personal problems).

So I'd suggest a) Reading the books could be helpful, and b) Do remember the main plot and show it in the first book while fitting the subplots around it. Hope this helps!

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
(Just read your new post)

Something like your story happens in the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. *spoilers ahead*

It's about a group of people who are on a mission to find a slumbering Welsh king. While they don't find the king in the first book, they complete the crucial step that will probably help them find him in the next books. In book 1, we get introduced to the main characters, their conflicts, lives, etc. but we always know that the four boys are really bent on finding the king, and most things are centered around that (there are other subplots such as characters' personal problems).

So I'd suggest a) Reading the books could be helpful, and b) Do remember the main plot and show it in the first book while fitting the subplots around it. Hope this helps!

That actually does help. Right now what I have planned is for her crew to get beat up right after finding the map and Ember gets kidnapped by the other pirate crew due to her bounty. And so their path gets derailed because the crew has to go get her and she and another member of her crew ends up getting captured by the navy during the rescue. But their path through the navy leads to character development and leads them to a translator who can translate the map they found. I don't know if that sounds like it will work or not though.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
You say that their accidental path leads them to the translator who'll read the map for them - the map is connection to the mission, so it should work. Keep in mind that the characters have to be thinking about and taking steps toward their mission (even if those steps are thwarted) so that the premise still runs through book.

Good luck!

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I think I feel more confident in my semi plan now. It's going to be interesting at the very least.

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to outline on paper or on MS Word anymore. i never really follow them. Instead, I have major plot points in my head that I build the story around, or I just wing it. I enjoy being surprised by my writing, my characters. It helps to know your characters, too, so you can know what they'd decide to do in a particular situation. I hope you figure it out. :)

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to outline on paper or on MS Word anymore. i never really follow them. Instead, I have major plot points in my head that I build the story around, or I just wing it. I enjoy being surprised by my writing, my characters. It helps to know your characters, too, so you can know what they'd decide to do in a particular situation. I hope you figure it out. :)

That's exactly how I am. I like my characters to surprise me because lets be honest I have no control over my characters XD

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought of doing research and VERY LIGHTLY just making a few notes about what you want to accomplish with each chapter and then just rocking it?

P.S. I like your idea! Props! =D

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And that's what I've been trying to do because editing one of my other stories was such a pain in the butt! And I'm still working and reworking it over and over again.

And thank you! I'm actually more excited about it than I am about my finished manuscript XD

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Leonard Bishop has said that the right time to outline a story is after the first draft. For some writers, I think that might be appropriate. But whatever works to get you forward is what you have to do. I watched a panel discussion at a major writers' conference some years ago, which involved a debate between Terry Brooks and John Saul. Brooks (who got into writing Fantasy novels after a career as a corporate attorney) is a fanatical outliner. Saul is a total pantser.

Both have done purty well at this game.

caw

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, this is pretty much how I write novels. I pants the first draft, then build an outline sorta retroactively as I go through my first major revision pass. The exception to this is if I'm a fair ways in and I get completely stuck, sometimes I'll go back and start the outline up to where I left off, which usually at least clarifies for me where in the draft I took a wrong turn. From there I can usually figure out how to get unstuck.

But really, do what works for you? And accept that what works for one novel might not work for the next, so you have to be adaptable without letting uncertainty and self-doubt lose you in the weeds :)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
But really, do what works for you? And accept that what works for one novel might not work for the next, so you have to be adaptable without letting uncertainty and self-doubt lose you in the weeds :)

This. Patricia Wrede once told me that you don't learn how to write novels. You learn how to write this particular novel.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am an outliner, except that I cannot stick to the plan to save my life.

I think the suggestions that you have some key superstructure and a few key scenes as a loose plan is probably a good one and maybe it would also help if you had an ending in mind (rough or detailed - you pick) that you could progress towards.

Good luck.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I find that the less I think about what's ahead and the more I think about what just happened and what is happening now, the easier it is to write. fwiw

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I find that the less I think about what's ahead and the more I think about what just happened and what is happening now, the easier it is to write. fwiw

I read the part in bold and thought, Wow, she's talking so wisely about mindfulness. Then I read the last part and thought, Wow, still mindfulness - in writing ;) I agree, though, everything - including writing - is better and more natural and easy when you pay attention to what's in front of you at any given moment.

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
I get/have that problem. My workaround is to do a one-page only general description of the story so I know where I'm going. Beginning, middle, and end. Like an elevator pitch to a publisher about your story. Then I very loosely outline it down to the chapter but at that level, it's just a few bullet points in each one covering what I want to have happen. 100,000 words is about five pages. Since it's somewhat generic (I want it to stay flexible as it develops), I can then creatively improvise in any given chapter without worrying much about wandering too far off the path. When I get stuck, and I do on occasion, I just go to the next chapter and start it. This, for me at any rate, often helps resolve issues with the previous chapter. As I finish each chapter I update and expand that chapter's outline bullet points as a rolling reference. It's a bit of a mix, there is a plan so I know where I'm going, but it leaves me the room for change and creativity.

the.real.gwen.simon

Nuclear Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I think everyone goes through some shade of this problem, sometimes several times. Here's a link to 25 Things You Should Know About Outlining, by Chuck Wendig, who has about a million of these things: (http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/05/14/25-things-you-should-know-about-outlining/)

When you say that outlining doesn't work for you, do you mean the kind you learned in school, with the roman numerals and everything very rigid and formal? Because that is definitely not a method that works for every person (Or every project). But there are a ton of methods that fall in between that kind of outlining and full-tilt pantsing, which also does not appear to be working for you.

I recommend the Snowflake Method to everyone, largely on principal, but you seem like a Tentpole type from your description. Tentpole outlining is a much looser variety, where you only decide on a few concrete moments in the story: Steve gets the Macguffin, Karen betrays him, Steve wins the Macguffin back in a game of high-stakes baccarat. Those are the only things you have in your outline before you grab your machete and head out into the word jungle. Questions like 'How did he get the Macguffin?' or 'How did she betray him?' or 'What the hell is baccarat?' get solved pantser style, when you get there.

As for the concern about "I keep accidentally writing a trilogy with no idea how to write the novels", well, that just means you have to do this four times (Or however many books plus the overarching narrative). The thing is, if there's enough story there, you'll find it. Let's say we expand my story into a trilogy about Steve and Karen. The first book will be How Steve Got The MacGuffin, then The Tale of Karen's Betrayal, and the exciting series finale, Steve Plays Baccarat. Now I need to pick tentpoles for those stories: Steve finds out about the Macguffin, Steve teams up with Karen, The Dangerous Heist Happens. In the second book maybe Steve and Karen fight about what to do with the Macguffin, Steve hides the Macguffin, Karen steals the Macguffin and runs away with the Spoon. Now we just need the parts where Steve tracks down Karen, then her new boyfriend the Spoon beats Steve up, then Steve wins the baccarat game with the Macguffin as his prize.

You just start from the farthest out, whole thing in 20-Words-Or-Less kind of outline, and keep getting closer and more specific until you feel like you've made the gaps between the poles small enough for you to pants from one to the other without getting lost.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I played with Lego. I built cities with buildings and populated these places with plastic trees and flowers. That was my outline. The adventures my characters had there were in no way hampered by anything I had built. If a house was too small, I rebuilt it. If a tree stood in the way, I took it off and threw it at my sibling (*hee hee*).

Status
Not open for further replies.