One POV or two?

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a new fantasy M/M novel, and I've hit a dilemma. I had initially planned it from the POV of just one character, a low-level servant vampire. But I've found myself thinking that including the POV of the other character in the relationship, the vampire hunter who wants to use the servant to kill his vampire master, may also be interesting. Granted, that POV wouldn't come into play until about 10k words into the book.

What have you guys found readers prefer in their erotica and romance--one POV, or both from the relationship?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I've always written romances from two POVs. There are folks who write from one POV, and I've enjoyed books written that way (though sometimes I do feel like I'm missing the other character's motivation, etc.), but I do, as a reader, prefer stories where you get the perspectives of both characters in a relationship.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I guess. I have a pretty strong preference for a single POV. And I might find it off-putting if the second weren't introduced until I'd already read 10K in one POV.

Not that I won't real dual POV--I have and enjoyed it. But I prefer single, I think because it mirrors life better. I never know what motivates others to do what they do, unless they share that with me or I make an educated guess based on what I know of them.

Maryn, realizing this is virtually no help

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I love multi and single, which is no help.

MacDonald does a satisfying job with single POV while multi works better for John Jakes. My WIP is a multi historical. It starts out with two major views, and as the plot thickens I've slid other in where needed.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Most of the romances I've read recently follow the two love interests pretty equally. Most have been in limited third, but a few have been in omniscient third that moves the camera back and forth between the two from the perspective of an external narrator. A few even include occasional forays into support characters' viewpoints, though most of the story focuses on the two MCs. I can think of some, especially older ones, that followed the FMC exclusively, and a couple of more recent ones that were in first person from the FMC's viewpoint.

I guess this isn't a lot of help, but my advice would be to focus on the character or characters who move the story forward and will have the transformative arc. Often both partners change greatly in a romance, but sometimes one of them can be viewed through the eyes of the other. In M/F romances with only one viewpoint character, I've never seen any but the FMC used.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
... But I prefer single, I think because it mirrors life better. I never know what motivates others to do what they do, unless they share that with me or I make an educated guess based on what I know of them.

While I like both as a reader, depending on how well they're written, this is a good point in favor of a single POV. I tend to write a lot of dialogue, which gives the other characters a chance to share some thoughts.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And those who have read you stuff will verify that approach works just fine.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I think I'm going to stick with one POV, at least for the first draft.

louisecooksey

Audiobook Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
louisecooksey.com
What I would enjoy, but haven't come across yet, would be a book written in one POV with a sequel or a second half written in the other main character's POV going over the exact same events. Although you'd know what would happen, you'd get to see it from the other side.

I've read both kinds and prefer single only because few authors that I have read really flesh out both characters and make them feel like individuals.

George Trigiris

Registered
Reaction score
Two POV's come in very handy indeed. They provide insight on the issues the main characters face.

Readers do like to read male and female opinions.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I've noticed most of my readers prefer dual POV. Most of what I write these days is dual first POV, and my readers seem to like that. Single POV can work fine too -- especially if you need one to be an unreliable narrator -- and of course it all comes down to what's best for the story, but in general, I've found that romance/erotica readers like dual POV.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
In M/F romances with only one viewpoint character, I've never seen any but the FMC used.

I did one het romance that's exclusively in the MMC's POV. I'm not sure how readers felt about that choice (no one ever commented on it specifically in any reviews that I saw), but it was an interesting exercise as a writer.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like POV number two has come to visit, and has some things to say. I know you said you want to make it one for your draft, but I find, when a voice starts chatting in my head, it's worth giving it some words. You can figure it out from there.

I haven't read erotica, but I've read some romance. I like depth in any story, but I wish you the best of luck with yours!

:)

Melty

Registered
Reaction score
I stick with one POV in my shorter stories, and only deviate if the one character has lost their mind or the world can't be expressed through their eyes. For example, if someone is possessed, or in a coma, or something of the nature that they just aren't in command of their actions. Monsters fall into this category as well, if a werewolf is the main character, and suddenly transforms... it's hard for them to be objective like they used to be!