Getting Cocky:Trademarking Romance Titles:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I have helpfully paraphrased it in case you don't want to read watch it.

"This is my official statement: I've written the best series to have ever been written and the entire world loves them and I am so popular and the best writer don't @ me. Also you can now copy my brilliance. I was attacked."

It's close. Don't @ me.
Thank you for the summary. I am disinclined to run my eyeballs over her actual words.
I can only hope that by "you can now copy my brilliance" she means 'copy my story' rather than 'try this ploy'. It's hard to say, as neither option seems 'brilliant'. 'Self-defeating' seems more accurate.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More of the blather that customers are likely to be confused by similar titles/cover design.

I buy my books according to author. I look for new stuff by my favourite authors.
Yep...I mean come on....readers know what authors they like, and even if the reader downloaded the wrong novel you can return it. AND...I think alot of these authors crying confusion and branding etc are in the KU anyways....so what difference does it make? If the reader does download the wrong novel they just dump it and they don't read it and they find the novel they were looking for.

I have helpfully paraphrased it in case you don't want to read watch it.

"This is my official statement: I've written the best series to have ever been written and the entire world loves them and I am so popular and the best writer don't @ me. Also you can now copy my brilliance. I was attacked."

It's close. Don't @ me.
Thanks for the recap...can she get anymore narcissistic? Good grief!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I watched the video....she is the definition of clueless.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
The Martin Scorsese quote was classy. :roll: Surprised she didn't call him "Marty."

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Some idiot is trying to copyright 'tamer'? Okay, this needs a united front: get the Western writers, the science fiction and fantasy writers, the 'contemporary' writers - this is getting bigger than 'Romance'.
Lion-tamers, town-tamers, planet-tamers, etc. For that matter, the bloggers: what if, in the end, they cannot describe a book as 'kind of tame'? Unless, of course, its one of this author's books.

I went and looked up this author (deliberately not naming him, in case this is just a publicity-grab) and other things he may try to copyright, because he has a series:
Space Knight,
Destroyer
Star Justice
And others, including Rock God.
(When he makes a play for 'Rock God', alert Rolling Stone. Heck, alert The Rolling Stones.)

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The case being filed is being funded in part by RWA, the Authors Guild, and SFWA, so it's going bigger and wider than "cocky". (I suspect the RWA site's getting hammered at the moment; I can't open either link I'd posted above right now.)

ETA: Clarified the point. The three organizations are funding the suit, not filing it.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The case's being filed by RWA, the Authors' Guild, and SFWA, so it's going bigger and wider than "cocky". (I suspect the RWA site's getting hammered at the moment; I can't open either link I'd posted above right now.)
Good! If we do not hang together, we will all hang separately.

Minaku

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's time to get the popcorn out again.

I wonder what happened to Rafeena Bopkins...

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
She's still out there. I was looking at...something via PublisherRocket (keyword, maybe), and one of her books came up in response to the search.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: