20 Great Horror Stories available online

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for sharing.

The list trips up a bit out of the gate by recommending a decidedly-not-horror story (not that it's a bad read, but Stephen King does not exclusively write horror stories, no matter how much he'll always be identified with the genre; this one doesn't belong on this list, much less in the lead-off position).

I do commend the list, however, for not only featuring a bunch of commonly-known public-domain works, which is what I anticipated before clicking the link. It certainly has its share of those (I think those types of stories take up about half the list), and there's nothing wrong with reading old classics, but I figure many if not most horror literature fans already know they can read any Lovecraft or Algernon Blackwood story they want to for free online. I haven't read all of the stories on the list, but the ones I have read are solid enough (for a perhaps less-obvious recommendation than the likes of "The Lottery," I do quite like "The Sloan Men" and "Patient Zero") .

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Firstly, thank you for sharing.

The list trips up a bit out of the gate by recommending a decidedly-not-horror story (not that it's a bad read, but Stephen King does not exclusively write horror stories, no matter how much he'll always be identified with the genre; this one doesn't belong on this list, much less in the lead-off position).

I do commend the list, however, for not only featuring a bunch of commonly-known public-domain works, which is what I anticipated before clicking the link. It certainly has its share of those (I think those types of stories take up about half the list), and there's nothing wrong with reading old classics, but I figure many if not most horror literature fans already know they can read any Lovecraft or Algernon Blackwood story they want to for free online. I haven't read all of the stories on the list, but the ones I have read are solid enough (for a perhaps less-obvious recommendation than the likes of "The Lottery," I do quite like "The Sloan Men" and "Patient Zero") .

I've been reading my way through the list, and I agree: they're uneven, but well worth reading. It's amazing how much excellent, non-public domain works are out there freely available on line. Next stop: stories by George Saunders.