I'm Publishing a Comic and I've hit a Lesser Catch-22

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get one of my comics listed with Diamond Comic Distributors (DCD), which I understand is the way of getting my work in comic shops.

I've hit a snag and was hoping someone with more experience could help me out.

In the application process to get into DCD, I need to list a percentage discount I offer them. I contacted the printer for my comic and asked what percentage discount they give DCD, since they told me that they work with them. But when I asked, my printer said I needed to contact my DCD rep to discuss this with them.

Obviously, I can't have a DCD rep if I don't finish the application.

What's the best way forward here? Do I ball-park the percentage discount? This is what I think is right, but I'm so inexperienced here that I'm not sure.

Also, is it normal for a self-publishing writer to pass the printing discount they get on to a distributor, or am I approaching this wrong?

Thanks! And feel free to chime in even if your specific experiences aren't with comics publishing. I'm really just looking for a mental foothold in all this.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I have absolutely no idea, but is there any way to get in contact with someone at DCD? Or maybe someone at a local comic shop might have an idea. Last thought would be to reach out to someone else in comics who you know gets their books in comic shops and ask their thoughts.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
When I was doing this back in the 90s, we had to offer Diamond 60% discount. They turned around and put us in the back of the catalog which meant stores only got a 40% discount on my comic, and Diamond kept 20% on top of what I had to pay to be in the catalog.

So, what it worked out to be was on a $2.50 comic, I made a dollar an issue*, the store made a dollar an issue and Diamond made 50 cents.

*from the dollar an issue, that had to pay for the printer, the artist, the colorist, the inker, and whatever was left over paid me (author) and me (publisher).

*sigh*

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about comic books or your specific issues. But for what it's worth, I have a lab contract for my clinic and the rep came first, not the contract. In my case, you work with the rep when you are establishing rates.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be a bad idea to just put "60%" in the application and hope it all works out? :flag:

It costs me $2.72 to print each book. It's a 12-page comic, and I'm thinking I'll ask $4.50 for each copy.

That means there's $1.78 of profit per book. So the run-down would look like this:

~$1.06 for DCD
~$0.36 for me
~$0.36 for the store.

I'm not sure it would be worth the store carrying my book, would it? Should I charge more?

- - - Updated - - -

I know nothing about comic books or your specific issues. But for what it's worth, I have a lab contract for my clinic and the rep came first, not the contract. In my case, you work with the rep when you are establishing rates.

That's heartening to hear, and seems to be what the printer thinks will happen.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
OK, if you ask $4.50 for the comic

That means, you'll make 1.80 per copy. The Store will make $1.80 and Diamond will make .90 per issue.

You'll be losing .92 a copy at that rate.

That's why you almost have to go through a printer like Brenner or Quebecor for comics. Doing them POD prices them out of the range of the average buyer.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oof. Okay. I will reach out to the printers you mentioned.

B

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a reason I haven't gotten back into self-publishing comics. A - Diamond pretty much ensures small presses are always marginalized and B - since I can't draw, I have to pay for the art.

Took me five years to pay off the debts I ran up doing it the first time. *sigh*

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds terrible. I have a plan B. I think I need to give it some more time and attention.