Michelle Wolf at the White House Correspondent's Dinner

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm most annoyed by WHO is fomenting the clutching. Andrea Mitchell (NBC) Maggie Haberman (NYT) and Mika Brzezinski, among the people most commonly lied to by this administration, but enablers of his election, all. GMAFB

Of course, then there's the Schlapps, the early-Trump-adopters who walked out complaining how horrible it was on Twitter. (bolding mine)
"'It's why America hates the out of touch leftist media elite,' Ms. Schlapp tweeted from a limousine en route to an exclusive after-party organized by NBC/MSNBC."

Someone's got a seriously damaged irony-detector.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, take out the expected manufactured/amplified outrage. It is especially worse with this snowflake POTUS. And I do hope there isn't misogyny in that manufactured/amplified outrage, but I'm sure it makes it easier to demonize her, being an outspoken woman and all.

A couple jokes fell flat. Maybe she shouldn't have said Conway needed a tree to fall on her, (even though Wolf immediately added she didn't mean injury by said tree).

The rest was hilarious! I think she's great. :roll:

And as for feeling sorry for Sarah H-Sanders, MSNBC played a montage of her calling reporters liars to their faces in the press room over and over and over. And you know Conway's record of name calling the press is worse.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm most annoyed by WHO is fomenting the clutching.

Right? You wonder if it's just preserving access, or if these are misinformed opinions made in good faith. I dunno which is scarier.

And Wolf was the funniest person to do the WHCD, like, evur.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I loved it. She took all the crap that everyone is trying to ignore about this administration and she threw it right back in their face. Nothing she said is any worse than the crap spewed by the president, so tough noogies to them. This seems to be the only thing that will get a rise out of the right. They didn't bat an eye when the prez said he could publicly shoot someone and most likely get away with it. Deal with it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump quotes

You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it, you can do anything. Grab them by the pussy, you can do anything.

Fox viewers give low marks to bimbo @MegynKelly will consider other programs!

blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her... wherever.

If Hillary Clinton can't satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America?

@ariannahuff is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man- he made a good decision.

Anyone who supports or voted for that man can take their hypocritical outrage and stuff it.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fan, but she was amusing and certainly hit the truth.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Gross on Fresh Air is interviewing Michelle Wolf and it's even funnier the second time around. :Thumbs:

Excerpts: 'Fresh Air' Interview with Michelle Wolf

Oh! I'll listen to that in a few during my walk today. I love Terry Gross.

I thought Michelle Wolf was really funny in a really laid back way. I can't understand all the outrage about her making fun of Sanders' looks, because she didn't. At all. She was making fun of her lies. Wolf went after everybody. How can others not see that? She went after CNN and lefts and rights and everyone! She just spoke truth, IMO, in a funny way.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Wolf went after everybody. How can others not see that? She went after CNN and lefts and rights and everyone! She just spoke truth, IMO, in a funny way.

This. So much this. It was a roast, so she brought the heat. I thought it was a hoot.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
She's smart. I like her. And thanks to Terry Gross, I now know that Wolf has a Netflix special coming out on May 27. :)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm most annoyed by WHO is fomenting the clutching. Andrea Mitchell (NBC) Maggie Haberman (NYT) and Mika Brzezinski, among the people most commonly lied to by this administration, but enablers of his election, all. GMAFB

Andrea, Maggie and Mika can keep crying and I will keep showering in their wypipo tears. I confess to knowing next to nothing about Michelle Wolf and then I saw her and my first thought was, "She got raw on the right people and didn't give a fuck, talks smack about Trump and has pissed off the people who most need to be pissed off. Is she a sista?"

No. She's really not Black, but she got much love from Black folks for calling out Sarah Suckabee and Kelly Anne Crypt Keeper right to their faces which I highly approve of, but what I approve of even more is how she called out those Washington journalists stenographers right to their faces too.

You guys are obsessed with Trump. Did you used to date him? Because you pretend like you hate him, but I think you love him. I think what no one in this room wants to admit is that Trump has helped all of you. He couldn't sell steaks or vodka or water or college or ties or Eric, but he has helped you.

He's helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster, and now you're profiting off him. And if you're going to profit off Trump, you should at least give him some money, because he doesn't have any.

Hear that? That's the sound of a mic drop.

The Washington press corps is a journalistic joke and their dinner where they rub shoulders and bend elbows with the same politicians they're supposed to be writing about is an act of journalistic malpractice. If I were a reporter in Washington, I'd never go to this circle jerk.

Bravo, Michelle Wolf for speaking truth to power and to the ass-kissing suck-ups who are whining like babies because of it. Truth will set you free, but only after it pisses you off.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always have enjoyed the sight of the mainstream media embarrassing themselves and they are doing an absolutely spectacular job at this time.

What we've learned from this is comedians who insult politicians will be condemned while reporters who kiss their ass will be doing the condemning.

Case-in-point: Washington pundit and trash human being, Chris Cillizza.

Introducing the "Daily Show" comic, White House Correspondents' Association President Margaret Talev praised Wolf as someone who was very much not part of the world of Washington. That was seen as a good thing, given that the criticism of Washington and its denizens since the election of Trump is that they/we are deeply out of touch with normal Americans. (A coastal comedian is not exactly "regular" people, but whatever.) I wonder whether Talev thought Wolf's I-could-care-less-about-any-of-you approach was such a great idea after the comedian's speech.

Most comedians who speak at the correspondents' dinner take a fair number of shots at the attendees in the room. But they also play along with theme of the night, which attempts to be a celebration of the free and independent media as well as a chance to shine a light on some of the best journalists in the country.

There are LOTS of way to go after Sanders. I personally think that she is overly antagonistic to the reporters who cover the White House and misleads on the regular. But to make fun of Sanders' makeup? ("I think she's very resourceful, like she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye. Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's lies," said Wolf.) Like, really?

I know lots of liberals will -- and already have via Twitter -- painted the attacks on Sanders as the press secretary getting what she deserved. I don't subscribe to that idea. Sanders showed up, sat on the dais and played along. She knew she was likely to get made fun of. But she would have no reasonable expectation that Wolf would go after her looks and refer to her as an "Uncle Tom, but for white women who disappoint other white women."

I'm stunned that Sanders sat five feet away from Wolf and just took it.

Being funny is one thing. Bullying people because you can is another. And Wolf's treatment of Sanders was bullying.

And, yes, by the way, Trump is a massive bully. Making fun of a disabled reporter, stereotyping ethnic groups, attacking reporters for how they look -- all of that stuff is totally and completely unacceptable. And he knows exactly what he is doing, which makes it worse.

But two wrongs don't make it right. Because Trump bullied a disabled reporter doesn't mean Wolf should be able to bully Sarah Sanders. Bullying is bullying. And it's wrong. Always.

Wrong, Chris C. Bullying is NOT bullying. What Michelle Wolf did was do what a comedian does. She told jokes. Some missed. Some landed. It goes with the job description.

For instance, take Sarah Sanders' boss. He's the personification of the male chauvinist pig.

ROSIE O'DONNELL:Rosie O'Donnell is disgusting, both inside and out. If you take a look at her, she's a slob. How does she even get on television? If I were running The View, I'd fire Rosie. I'd look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers and say, 'Rosie, you're fired.' We're all a little chubby, but Rosie's just worse than most of us. But it's not the chubbiness—Rosie is a very unattractive person, both inside and out."

IVANA TRUMP: There was a great softness to Ivana, and she still has that softness, but during this period of time, she became an executive, not a wife... You know, I don’t want to sound too much like a chauvinist, but when I come home and dinner’s not ready, I’ll go through the roof, OK?

MEGYN KELLY: "She gets out and she starts asking me all sorts of ridiculous questions. You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. In my opinion, she was off base."

CARLY FIORINA: "Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?! I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not s'posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"

HILLARY CLINTON: "If Hillary Clinton can't satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America?"

I have a belief that women who consciously work for men who despise women don't much care for their own gender themselves. Sanders is an Uncle Tom to White women every bit as much as a committed liar for the White man she works for.

But hacks like Cilliza won't say that because they're the nice liberals. The nice liberals say, "Oh, we don't have to stoop to their level." Right. Because our level is working so well.

The nice liberals say, "We need to understand why Trump supporters feel the way they do and respect them." No, we really don't.

The nice liberals say, "We shouldn't be mean to the other side even if they are kicking our butts and taking our lunch money because then we'll be mean too." And so? When someone hits you in the mouth with a brick and smashes your teeth do you apologize for the rudeness of bleeding on them?

Washington insider is a euphemism for hacks and what they do is not about reporting the news as much as it is pitching softballs as so to keep getting invited to the right cocktail parties where they right movers and shakers congregate.
They should stop pretending they're journalists and admit they're whores. :e2tomato:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't funny. If she wants to insult someone to their face but with class, style, and humor she should study Don Rickles. He was THE Master.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't funny. If she wants to insult someone to their face but with class, style, and humor she should study Don Rickles. He was THE Master.

I call bullshit.

What's true isn't always funny and what did Michelle Wolf say that was untrue about the classless, boorish and humorless racist and sexist pig Sarah Suckabee Sanders gets up and lies for every damn day right to the faces of the Washington Stenographers Pool? Nothing and that's why the same conservatives who call liberals "snowflakes" are the ones whiny like babies with diaper rash over one of their own getting worked over.

If you're not coming at Trump for the shit he says all the damn time, don't come at Wolf for what she said once. It's situational outrage and it's transparent and nobody is buying it.

And who cares about Don Rickles? He's dead and not giving any lessons to anybody anymore on how to be an insult comic. Ditto for the just as dead Joan Rivers.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You do know the recurring theme of the event is a roast, right? Satire style.

As for "to their face" it's also the recurring theme at the event that many of the people roasted are there.

What do you think of Sarah Sanders calling the reporters liars to their faces at every other press conference? Just curious.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score

I am a person who hates these types of things. I don't like "roasts," I don't even like the Oscars because the MC often picks an actor in the audience to skewer and then I sprain every cringe muscle in my body when I see it. There are some comedians who I find hilarious (Kevin Hart can make me pee myself) and some I don't. I will admit that I only have seen Wolfe on the Daily Show and even there I rarely laughed like I would at other comedians, but I almost always reacted - usually with a nod and a Hah! in an appreciation of her insight. During the Harvey Weinstein debacle and the MeToo Movement her comments were spot on, and every time she talked about Trump and/or his various associates I wanted to stand up and cheer. On the program she is allowed only a short time, but in those few minutes, she is able to cut to the heart of the matter and reveal the absurdity/stupidity/truth of the issue. Her comedy is not of the domestic or slapstick variety, but of social commentary which is more than necessary at this time. In addition, comedy is much more than being "funny" and at the dinner, being "funny" was not actually the point of what she wanted to achieve, which was to use her platform as a comedian, to point out certain truths to the audience - Trump, the political parties, and the reporters who follow them. She more than did that.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
A true "Roast" is intended to honor a specific individual with amusing jokes about the person. This was not a "Roast". I thought it was supposed to be comedy. I didn't find it funny.
And now the WHC Association is giving serious thought to changing the format of the dinner. In part because of Wolf's performance. (Also because the President hasn't attended for 2 years - and they've been thinking about it for some years). Just maybe her talk finally pushed them over the edge.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
...Her comedy is not of the domestic or slapstick variety, but of social commentary which is more than necessary at this time. In addition, comedy is much more than being "funny" and at the dinner, being "funny" was not actually the point of what she wanted to achieve, which was to use her platform as a comedian, to point out certain truths to the audience - Trump, the political parties, and the reporters who follow them. She more than did that.

Exactly.

She told the brutal truth, and it is quite amusing to see how many people can't handle the truth.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A true "Roast" is intended to honor a specific individual with amusing jokes about the person. This was not a "Roast".
Is that like a true Scotsman?

I've watched all the Correspondence Dinners since Stephen Colbert got famous with his new character debut and I assure you, Wolf's performance was exactly the style of comedy routine the hired comedian is paid to perform.

I thought it was supposed to be comedy. I didn't find it funny.
And now the WHC Association is giving serious thought to changing the format of the dinner. In part because of Wolf's performance. (Also because the President hasn't attended for 2 years - and they've been thinking about it for some years). Just maybe her talk finally pushed them over the edge.
I'm not buying this.

In the blogosphere/news circles I hang out in, the results are very positive. Only a few right-wing sources are still trying to make hay out of it. The manufactured outrage is already starting to peter out.

I'd still like an answer to the question I asked you.

What do you think of Sarah Sanders calling the reporters liars to their faces at every other press conference?