Rebuilding A Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanna

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! So, i have an idea that I've been sitting on and I've started working on it but I'm thinking of starting over. The concept is currently written in diary form written by a girl who's facing current events, like racism, injustice and others. I'm finding it hard to place in dialogue that my character has with other people. With that being said, I've thought to just rebuild the story and rewrite it as if i'm writing a novel. I'm just not sure how to do it. Any ideas?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Writing it as a series of diary entries would make the story seem less immediate and visceral IMO. The exact HOW you build it depends on the story you're going to tell.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Turn diary entries into scenes? "Today I met George Clooney" would become "I was driving along the scenic route past Lake Como when I saw George Clooney sitting in a boat. The sun was shining and it was very hot." etc.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
you can just record the dialogue if you want - it's not quite realistic but you can get away with it in books.

For a book that does this well, check out Tangerine by Edward Bloor. It's kidlit but it's a really great novel fullstop.

Tangerine is styled after a boy's journal. It has dialogue. At the end, it says that he went back through it to "novelise" it (that's his cover for why it doesn't quite read like journal entries).

Last edited:

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to map out the entries you have right now in an outline and pick up the narrative thread that's woven throughout them -- it might help you to see your plot more clearly. Writing a first person novel would translate well from diary entries where the character is already speaking about themselves in the first person, though. Maybe you could think of writing in first person as writing a more elaborate series of diary entries (chapters) that are less limiting than sounding like your character is actually writing things down?

I definitely recommend reading widely in your genre, too! That helps you see how other authors frame their stories and gives you a better sense of how to write your own.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Roundtable. Please keep hands and feet inside the thread while it is in motion

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't post duplicate threads in forums. I'll be merging threads shortly.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! So, i have an idea that I've been sitting on and I've started working on it but I'm thinking of starting over. The concept is currently written in diary form written by a girl who's facing current events, like racism, injustice and others. I'm finding it hard to place in dialogue that my character has with other people. With that being said, I've thought to just rebuild the story and rewrite it as if i'm writing a novel. I'm just not sure how to do it. Any ideas?

It isn't easy to advise you without knowing how far you've gotten with the diary entries. Depending on how much and what you have so far, you might be able to take the entries and use those to build scenes for a novel. It would be an interesting way to outline, but effective, I think; it could work well if you have sufficient work done on it already. Just a thought.

Yanna

Registered
Reaction score
I think Ive found myself doing that for most of the entries I've created. I run into the issue where I feel like i can't insert a lot of text because its supposed to be in diary form and most diaries don't include a lot of dialogue.

@Harleyquinn I will check this one out. Thank you for the suggestion. I do want it to be realistic which i think is why i'm having a hard time

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a story in a diary format. I'm including both conversations written out like in a novel (direct speech, formatted with a new line for each speaker, etc) and also paragraphs that summarise a conversation. The former is for longer, more important conversations and the latter is for short conversations, or long ones that can be summarised in a sentence or two (e.g. "we talked about the rugby"). I find that too much indirect speech can get tiresome and it's hard to stop the paragraph from being a list of "and then I said" "and then she said" etc etc.

The potential issues with a diary with fully formatted conversations is that a) the person writing the diary may not remember the exact words and b) they might not bother to format the conversations properly - indirect speech tends to be more diary-like, however IMO it's not implausible that someone can remember the main parts of important conversations and know how to write them out properly.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree that it'd be a good idea to break it down into scenes and work from there. That way, you won't feel daunted.

Just my two cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.