MayNoWriMo 2018 - For I Was Young And Loved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Interesting point. I could never get into his books, but Eddings has a certain flair and self-conscious cheese factor I find laudable.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Interesting point. I could never get into his books, but Eddings has a certain flair and self-conscious cheese factor I find laudable.

There were moments where I'd read a sentence and think, "Ha, this writer is capable of much better than this somewhat cookie-cutter story" - but again, I wasn't engaged enough by the MC (nor by most of the supporting cast) to want to read further into the series.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting week. I didn't write as much as I wanted to, but I finally know why -- I was tired of sitting at my desk. So I grabbed the old pen and paper, and I've been writing everyday since. Don't have a clue about the numbers, and actually right now I don't care to know.

[LOL-stillNope] Draft 2 of Sculptures: write 30,000 words to get to 50,000 words => 32,000 words (total... not written this month... so that's roughly 12,000, actually) + handwriting. The target laughs at me from its vantage point.
[X] Lose 1.5kg - 2kg max. => 2kg, precisely.
[X] Draw in my nature journal and/or take photographs 4x => nature journal 2, photos 3 (same as last week)
[X] Bodyweight training: 2 sessions a week, 3 if possible Do whatever I can, as long as it doesn't hurt.
Week 30 Apr: bodyweight 3, bootcamp/kickboxing 1, running 1
Week 7 May: bodyweight 3, bootcamp 0, yoga 1, running 2
Week 14 May: bodyweight 1, bootcamp 1, yoga 1, running 2
Week 18 May: bodyweight 2, bootcamp 0, yoga 1, running 2

Re. Nature Journal: I actually worked in it a bit, mostly by adding colours to my microscope obs. After one particularly lovely run, I had planned to go out and draw / take photos of the deer, but rain happened.

Re. sports: tennis elbow is still elbowing me, but not as bad. I skipped bootcamp (too many push-ups, punching, and blocking hits), skipped the push-ups and the side planks during the first bodyweight session, and did super-easy wall push-ups during the second session. A good compromise!

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
In spite of life conspiring to distract me, I've actually managed to accomplish something this week. Got Mahpee totally finished, started my SS:AMNG story, and got half the outline for The Crystal Throne done. I usually only do half a bare outline and then just kind of wing it for the rest when I'm writing a longer story, so I'm calling it ready to write - as soon as I think of a name for the major city. I'm really hoping I'll get the short story completed this week. I'll update on Thursday if I manage it, but for now:

[X] second draft of Mahpee (49/49 pages – 21,857 words) - this one is totally finished now
[ ] short story
[X] work on outline for The Crystal Throne (previously called Elementals)
[X] start SS:AMNG story

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[/] Finish editing novella (Heart) ~ part 2[X] 3[X] 4[/] 5[/] 6[/] 7[/]8[/] 9[/]
[ ] Write the first draft of a new short story
[/] Edit short story (Late Night)
[X] Post story for critique
[ ] Submit one story Waiting to hear back from critters
[X] Finish beta'ing chapters
[ ] Read 4 books ~ at least two from the TBR pile Does a Deadpool compilation volume count?
[X] Read outside
[X] Trim the pear tree
[X] Trim the apple tree
[ ] Go for a walk and lift weights once a week
Week of May 5th: 1 weights / 2 walks
Week of May 12th:0 weights / 2 walks
Week of May 19th: 0 weights / 1 really long walk (4hrs)
Week of May 26th: 1 weights / 1 walk
Week of June 2nd:

So excited. Going to spend next week on the beach and, hopefully, I'll get a lot of writing finished up. Maybe a little reading too.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Ha - you would be right. My friends were all OMIGOD YOU HAVE TO READ THIS and while I found it enjoyable, I just wasn't bowled over.

Yup, pretty much that :) I've finished American Gods now and I really liked that one. It's nice to have made some progress on books after last month.

[X] Go through my clothes for stuff I can give away
[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[X] Read The Night Circus
[X] Read American Gods
[ ] Pull together draft of short story for next Alphabet Anthology and finish
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[X] Edit every day: Week 18 (May portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 19
[X] Edit every day: Week 20
[X] [ ] Edit every day: Week 21
[ ] Edit every day: Week 22 (May portion)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, everyone is KILLING their goals. And we still have a few days left in the month!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Eddings was a former professor & quite an urbane fellow, I always thought it was sweet the way he collaborated with his wife on so many of his books (also irritated she never or rarely got co-author credit). I think in many ways he was quite comfortable dealing in cliches and less-than-original concepts (some would say tropes, but I'm trying not to use that word so often), the question then becomes if he was ultimately limited by his devotion to those concepts & cliches, and if he could see past them, would he have been a better writer. But, oh boy, is that a big, subjective question.

I actually liked Anansi Boys better than American Gods, AG was a fun concept but not one that felt terribly original to me, having previously been explored in a more interesting fashion by the likes of...Neil Gaiman. Not that I don't have positive things to say about it, it's just in my 'check it out' pile, not so much OMG MUST READ! Anansi just sort of drops you in, having already explored the concept and not really concerning itself with the overarching reach of it, instead it's much more focused on the personal drama of a relatable character.

Wooo! Go Jaymz! I wanna read Mahpee, have no idea when I'll get around to it but looking forward to that story continuing.

I realize my priority for the next few days is to get myself together for what I plan to accomplish the rest of the year. Finally, finally, finally feeling the hyperactivity subsiding, getting an idea of what I want to do and not trying to stick every single iron in the fire at once. *Takes breath* Small, accomplishable goals...

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Small, accomplishable goals are the way to go, Kev. Much better for the psyche than setting a huge goal and not making it. (it only took me 40 years to learn that :ROFL:)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Final update:

[x] Finish 2nd round edits on Fireborn (due 6/1)
[x] Finish reading Queen Takes Rook and post review

Finished the edits yesterday. \ 0 /

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Not so great with my goals this month, which I'll carry over to next month:
[ ] Finish Re-write of Ch1 novel
[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 novel
[ ] Write four new scenes
[X] Two Blog Posts
[X] Read 2 books

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I did not great this month. Quite poorly, really. I've come down with a bad cold on top of everything else, which hasn't helped, but I had plenty of time to do better before that.

I finished All Systems Red and was very sad to not have the next one on hand. I did not start my next book. I played games on my phone instead. At least it was word games? I would say it was nominally engaging my mind, but I'd stare at it for ages unable to figure out words like 'tiger' and... 'edit'. Maybe I can blame the cold for that one too >>

I did not get any words or anything over my sister's bday weekend. Really I should have just given myself the weekend off at the start of the month when I was writing up goals. And my last dedicated writing day lacked.. dedication. That one I can probably actually put down to being sick, but the others weren't great either and I could have done more, so it's a fail.

I did get a flash piece edited. And I did seven chapters of Marietta. It's heavier editing than I first anticipated, and I am not quick, so I think I am actually happy with seven done. I only did a few bits and bobs of game planning, and given I wrote nothing else, 8.4k words on Haven feels like very little.

I don't know. I think I might mix it up next month.

1. Read five books. 4/5
2. Continue transcription. Yes!
3. Edit/Finish one story. 1/1 - flash piece.
4. Continue writing Haven. Ye-es. (Uncertainly).
5. Continue game planning. Little bit.
6. Edit a substantial amount of Marietta. (Book 1) Yes.
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week). No to both :(

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[X] Finish editing novella (Heart) ~ part 2[X] 3[X] 4[X] 5[X] 6[X] 7[X] 8[X] 9[X] Wooo! :snoopy:
[X] Post story for critique
[X] Finish beta'ing chapters
[X] Read outside
[X] Trim the pear tree
[X] Trim the apple tree
[/] Edit short story (Late Night) Today's job!
[ ] Write the first draft of a new short story Nope
[ ] Submit one story This will have to be a next month thing
[ ] Read 4 books ~ at least two from the TBR pile [1/4]
[ ] Go for a walk and lift weights once a week Walks [4/5] Weights [3/5] Total complete weeks [2/5] I thought I'd do a lot worse on this. :)

I am really happy with how many things I accomplished this month, especially the outside work. It is so nice to be ahead on that.
Reading for pleasure just isn't working for me right now. I'll try again next month with a much smaller goal.
My biggest surprise for the month was how long it took to edit both the novella for betas and the critiqued short story for submission. *note to self: Hofstadter's law applies to editing too*
Once I submit the short story, it'll be time to go back to one of the novels. Haven't decided if it'll be the sci-fi one or the fantasy one. Both need the little cultural touch stones for some of their peripheral societies. Things like superstitions, daily customs, folk tales, celebrations, religious elements, and common sayings. The sci-fi one has had a few drafts and is a complete story. The fantasy has been drafted a few times to the 3/4 point but it doesn't have a satisfying ending yet.
Short story-wise, I have a few scribbles that I might turn into rough drafts and a few rough drafts that could use another pass before they see the light of day.

I'd better finish editing last short story. I'd love to make that goal too.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here it is the end of the month, and I am woefully short of most of my goals, although I was able to read one more book so I actually surpassed that goal. I got a bit more writing done, too, although nothing like what I'd hoped for.

Most of June will be busy with rehearsals and then opening my next show, but I'm expecting a fair amount of backstage down time. Since I now have my spiffy new Galaxy tablet plus keyboard, I should be able to set up shop easily to utilize that down time for writing. My husband will also be out of town for the first two weeks of the month, which means that when I'm not at rehearsal, I won't have anyone around to distract me from writing. And I really do want to knuckle down on the exercise and weight loss goals, which will be easier when the Cookie Monster/Salty Snack Fiend (i.e. the husband) isn't around to tempt me.

Off to start the June 2018 thread. Be sure to join in the fun there!

[ ] Write 10k fresh new words for Camp on my WIP (Book 5 of my fantasy series; starting count 13,519) - 14,158 out of 23,519
[x] Review 1st round edits on Book 4 DONE
[x] Read 3 books - 4 of 3 DONE
[ ] Lose 3 more pounds - 0 of 3
[ ] Get 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week:
Week 1 - 3 of 3
Week 2 - 1 of 3
Week 3 - 1 of 3
Week 4 - 2 of 3

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm happy with this month! Onwards into June.

[21k] Write 20k
[x] Get Divide into messy but logical order.
[ ] Finish Divide draft.
[X] Beta Read #1 - for M
[X] Beta Read 2 - for J
[ ] Health: Lose five pounds.
[ ] Roller Derby: Figure out crossovers.
[X] Roller Derby: Glide on one foot around the track.
[ ] Create art
[ ] Gaming: Finish Night in the Woods
[6/6] Read 6 books... and actually finish some of these inprog ones, jeez.
x Writing for Love
x Crossplay
x The Heir to the North (audiobook)
x The Butterfly Effect [Audiobook]
x 5,000 Words Per Hour
x Don't Hold Back by Renee Dominick
Angel's Blood [inprog]
The Sketchbook of Loish [inprog]
Anatomy of a Story [inprog]
Inside of a Dog [inprog]
Mothership [inprog]

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think I actually did better than I thought this month, though I would like to get some of these household-related to-dos done, since I've carried them over for a bit.

[X] Go through my clothes for stuff I can give away
[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[X] Read The Night Circus
[X] Read American Gods
[ ] Pull together draft of short story for next Alphabet Anthology and finish
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[X] Edit every day: Week 18 (May portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 19
[X] Edit every day: Week 20
[X] Edit every day: Week 21
[X] Edit every day: Week 22 (May portion)

Onwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.