How to write a non-fiction text which is not an invitation to sleep?

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Non-fiction texts have a strict style. In the German language it isn’t very different. However, this is gonna be often a problem. For example, this is a task in the final test. (I write my one (to get my graduation) in two weeks.) There you must write it for a school magazine. But that’s the dilemma. My teacher wants it strict, but the task says you must it write for students. How can I make both teams happy?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Write it for whoever is grading/scoring it. Ask if you can see samples of writing that they consider well done. If you really want to write for the students though, can you pick your topic? Then write about something that you're passionate about. At the very least, that passion should shine through. I wish you the best of luck :)

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
@Maggie Maxwell The last topic about which I write a text was the high school’s toilet.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You always write for whomever is paying. If it isn't the reader buying something, write for the editor or, in your case, grader. Get your grade, get your diploma, then write what you want.

Jeff

Doug Egan

Registered
Reaction score
Others have already said, write for the person grading. If your grader expects a strict style, do your best to follow the style.

Speaking to your future writing, non-fiction does not have to be boring. Read some Bill Bryson, Simon Singh, Mary Roach, Anthony Bourdain, or any number of other non-fiction writers who write for a popular audience. These authors do not follow the strict style which is sometimes taught in High schools. In fact, even academic journal articles don't always follow a style as strict as I've seen taught in schools.

Schools often teach to remove personal pronouns from writing, which for lab reports can result in stilted writing with a lot of passive voice. To make lab report writing interesting, try to reintroduce as much active voice writing as possible (but don't use personal pronouns unless the teacher allows it). Also, focus more on the analysis and conclusions than on the descriptive methods.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would agree that you follow the style. If the topic is something of high interest to the audience it will still be engaging.

DepressedbutnotDead

Registered
Reaction score
Just because it's non-fiction doesn't mean the tone has to be boring. Try and figure out what an amusing tone would be for your story - maybe add some humor. Try and check some non-fiction writers who do this - Dave Egger's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is technically non-fic and its hilarious with a very creative tone. Don't think that just because it's non-fiction means it has to be boring - don't be afraid to play with language and make it your own voice.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Data-dumps are boring for sure, but you can deliver your information as you tell a story. Maybe watching a few TED talks could inspire you. Have fun.