Why I Gave Up Writing Fiction Books

Do you agree with the position of the post?

• Strongly agree

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
If nobody bought books, then there'd be no Amazon. Every single thing on TV, streaming, wherever, it all had to be WRITTEN. Most of it started as books. We all saw the scandal about the guy embezzling millions from those authors through that agency. That money came from somewhere. Lots of people make money from writing. Y'know, I've read a lot of 99 cent books. You know what else? I stopped reading them. They were, in most cases, not very good (apologies to the authors who wrote them, but when your book has *spelling* errors in it, it's not very good). What you tried to do was join the race for the bottom. There's an old saw in selling; if ti's too cheap, people assume there's something wrong with it. Would you eat 25 cent tacos? I wouldn't. I'd assume that something was way off about that deal. A quarter? How good can they be? Will they poison me? Was the meat meowing last night? People looked at your 99 cent book and thought "too cheap to be any good"
ETA: I'm not counting books that are limited time specials, like when an author publishes the latest in a series, they might put the first book out there at 99 cents like a "gateway" book. NOT the same thing.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If nobody bought books, then there'd be no Amazon. Every single thing on TV, streaming, wherever, it all had to be WRITTEN. Most of it started as books. We all saw the scandal about the guy embezzling millions from those authors through that agency. That money came from somewhere. Lots of people make money from writing. Y'know, I've read a lot of 99 cent books. You know what else? I stopped reading them. They were, in most cases, not very good (apologies to the authors who wrote them, but when your book has *spelling* errors in it, it's not very good). What you tried to do was join the race for the bottom. There's an old saw in selling; if ti's too cheap, people assume there's something wrong with it. Would you eat 25 cent tacos? I wouldn't. I'd assume that something was way off about that deal. A quarter? How good can they be? Will they poison me? Was the meat meowing last night? People looked at your 99 cent book and thought "too cheap to be any good"
ETA: I'm not counting books that are limited time specials, like when an author publishes the latest in a series, they might put the first book out there at 99 cents like a "gateway" book. NOT the same thing.

+1.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
People looked at your 99 cent book and thought "too cheap to be any good"

Smashwords actually publishes data on this. It's in slideshow form; the pricing data is on slide 52, but here are two of the data points:

Prices with max unit sales (in order): $3.99, $4.99, $.99, $2.99
Prices with max earnings: $4.99, $9.99, $3.99 (they point out $9.99 is a statistical outlier because it tends to cover big bestsellers)

All of these are for novel-length work.

This is one data set from one source, of course, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there if you're so inclined.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Little late to the party but... I write for the exhilaration of creation. Sappy, I know. But after I finish a scene I’m proud of, or complete a first draft, or read through that fifth revision that finally closes those plot holes, I think: I did that! I’ve been writing nearly my whole life, my first novellas (about abuse at an orphanage and, later, a summer camp serial killer) completed when I was in middle school. (Yeah, I could be a little angst-y.) And, of course, that was way before I thought of writing as a commercial enterprise.

Don’t get me wrong.... I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE to see my book in a bookstore, and that’s not to say the process of trying to sell our work isn’t sometimes heartbreaking, but I’m going to write anyway, so why not try to sell it? Luckily, I have a day job that pays the bills, and that I also happen to enjoy. But I’ll never stop writing, or tell my daughter who loves to sing to stop singing. True, neither of us will likely make a living with our passions, but how much more boring would our lives be without them?