Peace in Korea

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
hopefully the peace can last longer than 68 years....

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Let's think about this for a minute. SK has the tech and the economic infrastructure. NK has nukes, short-range ballistics, and a huge army. They are about to go in bed together. Then one wonders why Japan - which hasn't been nice to Korea in the previous century - is getting very nervous as of late.

Peace? Hmmm. Right.

-cb

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Good for them. May peace prosper.

I have seen it pointed out that this is a major blow to US power, prestige and influence in the area. Also that it has pulled the rug out from under any intention that any homegrown US despot (cough) may have to escalate war on the Korean peninsula before the election to galvanize the base.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
They haven't signed anything yet. They've agreed to starting talks on peace. So, anything could go wrong. Progress, yes, a fair bit even. But nothing concrete.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^^^^ This. Everything else I've seen has said that any outcome might take years to broker. I'll have a little lot more faith when it happens.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As long as Kim remains in total control of NK, I remain in total skepticism about the success of "peace" there. This feels itchily like Neville Chamberlain smiling and waving that piece of paper he got from Hitler.

caw

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
North Korea may be in deep trouble about its nuclear testing.

Not with any other nation. With its own homegrown possible radioactive catastrophe.

http://www.iflscience.com/policy/th...ea-halted-nuclear-testing-and-its-terrifying/

Yea, I have another bit about it.

Reading this after the great announcement left me feeling... un
happy, I guess, about not what was said, but what was not said, I guess. If nothing else, it would be great if N & S reunited (with Peaches & Herb?) and I would probably, finally stop watching MASH?@??!! Doh!
Research by Chinese geologists suggests that the mountain above North Korea's main nuclear test site has likely collapsed, rendering it unsafe for further testing and requiring that it be monitored for any leaking radiation. The findings by the scientists at the University of Science and Technology of China may shed new light on North Korean President Kim Jong Un's announcement that his country was ceasing its testing program ahead of planned summit meetings with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and U.S. President Donald Trump.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...na-nkorea-nuclear-testing-20180426-story.html

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder if all the ranks of NK Generals are behind their leader on this.

And the outlook and attitudes and 'outside of the country' knowledge of the two peoples are miles apart.

Unification? Does that mean one president? Sure.:flag:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Neither country is going to give up their leadership or system of government, so I don't see how any of this could lead to a united Korea. If there's less saber rattling and cultural isolation, that may not be a bad thing. As steps go, I think this one is a baby step, and a fragile one at that, but at least it's not a step backwards.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
As long as Kim remains in total control of NK, I remain in total skepticism about the success of "peace" there. This feels itchily like Neville Chamberlain smiling and waving that piece of paper he got from Hitler.

caw

Exiled Thucydides knew
All that a speech can say
About Democracy,
And what dictators do,
The elderly rubbish they talk
To an apathetic grave;
Analysed all in his book,
The enlightenment driven away,
The habit-forming pain,
Mismanagement and grief:
We must suffer them all again.

Not that I quite feel this is gesture of appeasement or it will lead to a Very Bad War or anything, but this verse popped in my head for some reason.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how the Screamin' Cheeto refusing to renew the US's involvement in the Iran accord is going to play into this.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how the Screamin' Cheeto refusing to renew the US's involvement in the Iran accord is going to play into this.
Time will tell -- but Korea just released 3 American hostages. That's a good start. But trusting Korea would be a mistake.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Trusting Trump to negotiate directly with Kim is an even bigger mistake.

-cb

Have to say, I wonder both things too.

If NK/SK do achieve peace, Cheeto missed his chance to say, "Tear down this border!" (I confess, the irony of it not being a wall . . . )

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but now he can say he was the reason the hostages were released. He's the hero. And his base will believe him. They'll look to the release of the hostages as Trump working his magic rather than Kim working Trump.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I think I know what Trump is doing - the old "speak softly and carry a big stick," thinking he can act tough and bring miscreants to the table - except if he goes too far (which he often does) it can be counter-productive. I'm sure he will take credit for bringing NK to the table but I suspect China had a lot more to do with what's going on. I'm old enough to remember the old Russia strategy of two steps forward and one step back - but I doubt if Trump is even aware of that. Not trying to be funny here, but Trump's strategy seems to be yell loudly and carry a big shtick.