Peace in Korea

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I think I know what Trump is doing - the old "speak softly and carry a big stick," .... Not trying to be funny here, but Trump's strategy seems to be yell loudly and carry a big shtick.

Too bad. It's funny anyway, lol.

Re: "Speak softly and carry a big stick," I doubt he knows that phrase, and if he does, I HIGHLY doubt he understands what it means. His modus operandi is more "impotent bluster."

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
From the "You're not going to believe this..." file.

The US military made a coin with Trump’s and Kim Jong Un’s faces on it

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/21/17377278/trump-north-korea-kim-jong-un-challenge-coin

Part of the problem is the design. An official American coin with a likeness of Kim Jong Un on it that refers to him as “Supreme Leader” feels off, to say the least, given that his government is currently holding at least 120,000 of its own people in vicious camps designed specifically to hold and punish political prisoners. The coin also depicts Trump and Kim looking at each other eye to eye, as if they’re on equal footing — exactly the kind of status boost that the pariah regime in Pyongyang wants to achieve in this summit.

But the most fundamental issue with the coin is that the summit has not yet taken place. Trump is preemptively celebrating the summit itself as a major accomplishment, making it harder for him to walk away and declare failure if North Korea isn’t as cooperative as he expects.

This kind of pageantry makes the president’s personal reputation contingent on the summit being a success, when, in fact, most North Korea experts believe North Korea won’t give Trump what he wants.

The Art Of The Deal.

-cb

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Trump idolizes and relates to dictators. He'd never let like likeness appear on a coin with Angela Merkel.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at that coin, I rolled my eyes so hard I think they are currently orbiting the earth. All I want to say is "Kiss!" Is it me?

Who approved the funding on this? My internet is being flaky, but did they do a coin when Obama got Bin Laden?

Last edited:

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I hope they do the summit. And everybody's all smiles and handshakes until one of them says something mildly insulting and it escalates until they start slap-fighting like toddlers and end up rolling on the ground until Un pins Trump and shoves dirt in his mouth, all in front of the international press corp, and that's what makes the republicans finally pull all support for Trump and impeach his ass, because goddamned if they'll stand for some loser that can't win a fight against a fat little commie being their President!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just looked at the link. I think whoever designed it hated both men. Extra chins on Kim, bead of sweat dropping from Trump's forehead. And, the edging looks as though the whole thing was stamped onto the top of a beer-bottle cap.
Maybe the people who made it thought their jobs were going to be about celebrating military accomplishments, not this nonsense?

Let's just hope that the whole 'Supreme Leader' thing doesn't strike Trump as a fine title. For himself.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
From the "You're not going to believe this..." file.

The US military made a coin with Trump’s and Kim Jong Un’s faces on it

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/21/17377278/trump-north-korea-kim-jong-un-challenge-coin

The Art Of The Deal.

-cb

Since the military now commemorates Americans (planned) speaking with dictators, will they now retroactively commemorate the joint effort of the military and the Taliban to revive the Afghan trucking industry?

Spoiler: The military paid trucking contractors to deliver goods to their outposts, trucking contractors paid bribes to the Taliban to not attack the trucks, contractors told US military about the bribes, military response was
One lieutenant colonel to whom contractors had complained told the committee that he couldn’t have investigated. “That was way, way, way, way above my level,” he said, “my job was to get barrels of insulating foam for tents out to Dwyer so Marines didn’t suffocate from heat exhaustion.”

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
My internet is being flaky, but did they do a coin when Obama got Bin Laden?

Oh, that would've made quite a stir. Imagine a coin with both Obama and Osama and the words "PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES - KING OF ISLAM" on it.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing that Republicans don't remember that Kim is a brutal dictator who kills people who displease him in horrible, gory ways. Apparently if he can be used to make Trump look "presidential" that can all be overlooked.

It's one thing to negotiate with him. Unfortunately, world politics sometimes requires you to hold your nose and shake someone's hand for a greater good. But to suddenly treat him as if he's a *more* responsible leader than allies of democracies with generations of ties to the US is absurd.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's amazing that Republicans don't remember that Kim is a brutal dictator who kills people who displease him in horrible, gory ways. Apparently if he can be used to make Trump look "presidential" that can all be overlooked.

This is a party that voted for and enthusiastically supports a person who embraces torture and dehumanizes wide swaths of humanity and constantly threatens critics and enemies, reading from the playbook of a man who went on to industrial scale genocide. If 45* did what Kim's doing, they'd buy tickets and sell popcorn.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It's amazing that Republicans don't remember that Kim is a brutal dictator who kills people who displease him in horrible, gory ways.
Someone remembers... Who knows? Maybe this Singapore thing is a trap for Kim's getting overthrown.

-cb

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
President Donald Trump has canceled his historic summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un next month.

Much of the letter was written in conciliatory terms, including praise for North Korea's recent release of three American prisoners, Trump also appeared to issue a threat that conjured memories of his war of words with Kim last year.

"You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used," Trump wrote in the letter.

Bawk, bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk!

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
[sarcasm]
But NOW who's going to get the Nobel Peace Prize???
[/sarcasm]

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
And what will happen to the dumbass coins? Will they work in vending machines?

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
And what will happen to the dumbass coins? Will they work in vending machines?

Of course not. The Commander will order all but, say, two to be destroyed. Those will be passed on to Donald Jr. and Ivanka to keep in mint condition until the grandchildren can offer them for auction as valuable historic artifacts. No one will know why Trump had his lackey Congress add language to a budget bill that exempted the proceeds of all legal auctions of historic artifacts from any and all taxes, fees or other reductions in value to the owner.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And let us hope that when those coins come up for auction the bidders sound like a pack of owls: "Who?" "Who?" "Who?" as that man passes into a richly deserved obscurity, only to have his name dragged out on occasion, as a horrible example.