May Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy jeez, I only got like 5-10 words yesterday and the way before-- I hear you Keithy. Yet, I'm back at it now!

Meeting my friend was fun, but it was NOT productive. Lol.

Back at the reading today. I'm going to write and research a little before I go to bed. I'm well rested-- now, at least.

Keep going, we're SO close! :D

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
I did my query stuff today! I have no idea if its decent or not, but I think it's at least a step in the right direction. In the meantime, while I'm waiting for feedback on the new query letter, I need to find some better comp titles again, which are the bane of my existence.

Hope everyone else is having a good day!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not much today: 150 words.

But I'm still in recovery mode from my 2-day partying spree. Not going out like that for quite some time.

I'll get back at it tomorrow or, I guess, today-- HAH!

Good luck everyone!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: Wow, well done for getting those words in! I’d’ve been at the whisky I’m afraid…

Taylor: Rest, shmest :p

Layla: Aww what? That’s pish. So short-sighted on their part. I’m sure they’ll feel the loss immediately. What a load of bums. Hope you enjoyed B&B – was it the oldie or the newie? Either one should make you feel warm and fuzzy :)

Keithy: Seven is a very lucky number.

xenylic: Your drive is so impressive. I’m sure you’ll hit your goal. Ugh, technical difficulties are the worst. I’ve long given up on meditation (kept falling asleep) but I do yoga every day, and sometimes just tuning into your breath for a few beats helps a lot if you’re feeling frazzled.

Daniel: You know, there are times when you need to write and times when you need to have fun with your friend :)

So, I woke up on Fri in a rubbish mood AGAIN, but then I read some Dean Wesley Smith articles about keeping writing fun, then plonked myself down at my desk, told myself to stop taking it so seriously, and lo and behold, words came out. Then I went to see Solo and I LOVED IT (I’d gone in with zero expectation) and was bouncing around the rest of the day like I’d swallowed a hyper drive.

Yesterday I worked on some characters and did some general musing, but no words. Och well.

Day 25: Wee bit; 7 miles; a really good feeling about this.

Day 26: Wee bit; 3.5 miles; lots and lots of cookies.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! :e2coffee:

I wrote nothing at all on Friday and Saturday (no, I did write a book review on Saturday, and I promised myself I would count those). Friday I went out to dinner and had a drunken conversation about my novel (I think this is something I have done before...). Saturday - I'm not sure where Saturday went. There was that book review, and a great deal of walking, and a couple of hours of reading, and about half a 1950 movie watched (The Asphalt Jungle)... something something.

Anyway hey it's Sunday! I'm do plan to write some today. And to make a beef-noodle soup from a recipe I saw on Tasty. Who wants to come over?

April: Ah, on the best nights I get the whiskey and the words. It sounds like you had a fun couple of days!

Daniel: Welcome back to regular life. :)

xenylic: Good luck with the 60k mark and the query revisions. For self-care - you can do as Layla does and use this thread to help track and motivate those goals, too. It all contributes to your overall mental health, which contributes to your writing. :)

Keithy: Every damn word counts.

Layla: I am so sorry about that situation at work. People sometimes get so absorbed in their own thing that they forget how their actions affect others. The workshop I was in at work the other day - the one where I spaced out for a bit and outlined some of my story on a post-it note - was about having productive feedback conversations, and they reminded us several times that positive feedback is in some ways MORE important than negative feedback. It's very easy for even a dedicated manager to forget that. So this person caught up in whom to hire hasn't paused to think "I should let Layla know that this isn't personal and she's been great in a bunch of different ways" - absorption in one's own stuff.

Taylor: I'm unlikely to attempt the contest - but I'd love to know if you end up doing it.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Xen - thanks for you kind words :) & I hope the weekend was relaxing & positive, & hope that query work went well

Daniel, you're still writing - that's excellent

April - it was the newy - some really great actors in that! (Kevin Cline is one of my faves. The fella who played Beast was great, I'd like to see him in something else.) Congrats on getting that wee bit in on those days -

Lakey who wants to come over?! um. ME!!!!
Hope you had a great weekend.

Day 26/27

WIP: Got back to it today w/ 1/4 page.
R/SC - moar uhhoarding; 5 hours retail earning service on Sat, six on Sun
$$ a wee bit of practice on one of my $$ projects

beddy time now. Up early to beat the traffic & return the paper shredder to my salt-of-the-earth friend.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing at all Saturday, but today ~350 words. The MS for "the visitor" is officially the first draft, and is going quite well considering my lack of time. I'm having to stay up too late to get anything done. Time time time..

Lakey - Saturday vanished for me too. Family stuff, shopping, invited round for dinner, slaughter everyone at scrabble and poker, bed time.

April - musing makes making words easier. That's a less I've learned.

Time to swim into bed.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day 27: 682.

Getting back up there. Still, quality over quantity. I'm taking it slow. It's flowing and working MUCH better. Timed writing is a better fit for me. Word count just makes me manically assemble words and sentences on a page. It's going GREAT now!

Sounds like some of you are having movie experiences! Nice! I'm going to get back into watching the classics from my computer. It's been too long since I frequently watched movies. I have to get back into it.

Keep swimming Keithy! Swimie swim swim! = D

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: I’d love to come over! (But for the whisky, not the beef. I’ll make some veggie noodle soup and have that instead :))

Layla: My fav was Gaston. What a set of pipes the guy has!

You’re absolutely right, Keithy. I still sometimes fall into the trap of thinking no words = complete waste of time.

Daniel: I’m glad your new method is working well. I prefer time too, because it takes into account all the sticky bits and tricky scenes.

I wrote around 800 words yesterday on a couple of projects. One was totally random, and the other was my potential new book. I’m not sure I like it yet, but time will tell, I suppose. I want to give this no-outline thing a chance, so I’m gonna keep plugging away, entertaining myself as I go, and see where I end up. Adventures into the Unknown etc etc.

Day 26: Decent bit; 7 miles; 10pm pizza, wine and Westworld.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Right, good morning! :e2coffee:

Sunday almost slipped away from me but not before I got 551 new words into the manuscript. Once again in doubt that much of this will survive revision - it's not that it's awful, it's that it may not be necessary. But I am experimenting with things, and in that sense it's all part of learning (and I have so much to learn, let me tell you).

Anyway I do have the day off and after an unaccountably lazy morning I am settling in for a bit of writing now. I will report back later today with greetings for all of you.

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
Layla: Nicely done, and thanks! I'm pretty happy with the query's improvements, but I still got another couple rounds of tinkering with it.

Keithy: Every bit counts, especially when time isn't permitting so. That's when you really know you can pat yourself on the back.

Daniel: It's so admirable that you're adjusting well to this drastic change of strategy. I hope you continue to find yourself in the new format with timed writing!

April Swanson: Take all the time you need on that decision. The book I'm querying now was originally a summer distraction project I had whipped up spur of the moment in 2015. Something unfolds about it, or you find a certain character or theme embedded in it and you're just like, "Yep. This is my new book in the making." Hope today is treating you well!

Lakey: Good luck and knock 'em dead! Way to snap out of the lazy morning-itus!

I'm pretty happy today! I got 1.4k, and I adore the thing I'm writing right now. It's one of those events that I had jotted down months ago, and I knew I was gonna like it. What I didn't know, though, was I was going to really hit it hard. As choppy as some of the elements have been over the past 10k words, now I'm getting back into a rhythm, and this was almost effortless. I had to restrain myself from going past 1.4k, because I didn't want any extra fatigue tomorrow morning. I'm 2.5k words from 60, and I finally feel like I'm gonna really get it done! The last hump is Wednesday, my busiest day of the week, but with today's yield, even that doesn't seem too menacing anymore.

Query letter stuff, on the other hand, I had to take a step back yesterday. I really liked my changes I made to the query, but some of the feedback since has been hard for me to handle. I know I'm heading in the right direction, I just get too wound up with these things that I'm on the verge of giving up sometimes with the whole process of querying. I'm gonna try and pick at it a bit during the week, after I've calmed down a bit. I still have plenty of time to have it ready on June 8th; no need to rush.

To end on a positive note, I've gotten back on track with meditation, and my emotional volatility has already settled down to reasonable levels.

Happy writing, everyone! Three days left to the challenge!

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
HELLO THREAD, IT'S THE END OF MAY!

As expected, moving back home has meant I haven't checked in with this thread once. To be fair, when I got here, my computer spent a full week refusing to connect to my parents' wifi and I couldn't do much of anything, especially writing! Since I no longer have a phone and all my work is stored in Gdocs. Thankfully, that issue has been resolved, and I've done a bit of writing since then. I believe my goal was 15k, which I'm unsure if I'll hit, because before today (through sporadic writing) I had 11,461 words this month. Today I managed to write another 2,415 which is sorely needed in the WIP I'm struggling with.

This puts my total wordcount at 13,876. There are a few days in May left, and maybe I'll manage to get some more written now that I've worked through the block on this WIP! (I'm so mad that I've been stuck with it for so long.) I have no hope of keeping up with what I missed in this thread, but I hope everyone had a productive May!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all :e2coffee:

The good news: I wrote about 910 words into the manuscript yesterday. And they weren't bad - the core of it will likely stay on revision, even if some of the exchanges I put earlier in the chapter don't make the cut. Finished Chapter 28, got Eddie through her sickness and out the door on the way to her fateful night on the town, so now it's back to Grace and the aftermath of the cocktail party: A confrontation with the uninvited guest, and then with Grace's husband.

I do wish I could write as productively as some of you. I was lamenting yesterday (to myself) how much longer I have to go, not just to finish this draft, but to revise it. I've been working on this one novel for two years, and I don't see it being sooner than two more years just to bring it to the point where I decide whether it's worth querying. I wonder if one project can hold my attention for that long. They don't, usually.

It's getting rather late and I ought to be gathering myself together to go for a run this morning, so I will check in with each of you later.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Argh, it happened again; I disappeared (from here). :Shrug:

Anyway, the June thread is up.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
160 words yesterday, but they were DAMN GOOD words.

At least I did a little something.

Hoping into June and hoping to keep it more together!

Good work everyone, we went so far. We can do it better next month!

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
All right! Got an easy 1.1k in today. Had to do a lot of math during the session, but I didn't mind. Also, a lot errands had to be done thereafter, with taking my cat to her check-up and getting my school transcripts. I knocked them out as well :D

Book 2 is cruising now at 58.5k written. Tomorrow is no longer a big ugly boss at the end of the road, since I have such a comfortable buffer to fall back on. More than likely, I will be at 400 words left to cap off on Thursday, and 60k will be mine!

Now if only my querying troubles were that easy. I'll be refocusing my attention next week all on that stuff, but for now, I'm ready to cash in on all my hard work. Hope everyone else is feeling accomplished with this month's efforts!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, congrats on those 350 words :D :D

Likewise, Daniel - congrats on the 682, hope you had a good time writing them :)

Whoa April 800 words is great, & that's nice to work on different projects.

Lakey, an unaccountably lazy morning sounds great, & congrats on that ~550 on Sunday

Xen - glad to hear you have a nice satisfying project right now. & kudos for you for keeping at the query. (There's a reason they call is Query Letter *Hell*)

KATY! Good to see you!!

Lakey - I wish I could be faster, too.

Hey Magnus, hope you had a great May :)

Day 28 -- I forgot to post day 28!
WIP: Started thinking I'd only be managing 1 sentence, but I got a push and made it to 1/4 page.
R/SC: did the stuff
$$- & the other stuff

Day 29:
WIP: 3/4th page

R/SC: Paid a bill, ran a couple of errands; unraveled a damaged sweater. I'll use the wool to make a vest (got the 'Circe Vest' pattern; you can see it on Ravelry - for all you knitters out there)
$$: A little brainstorming for one of my indie projects, a little research for another

It's a bit of a tldr down here, but - this was how my day started

File this under "Can you believe it?!" - the agency called this morning saying they had spoken to the person I worked for and there were some checks missing… -- Wow. You fire me and then you ask for my help because you can't even get organized? Fortunately I prepared my deposits with a spreadsheet and had her check them before and after I went to the bank - and there is a folder of new checks -- the folder says 'CHECKS' in a vertical file on the desk I was sitting at. I said this to the agency person & she was like 'that's probably what it is and she was just panicking' Good grief.

Then my dentist called & my appointment is postponed till tomorrow because my crown delivery got held up by the holiday

and the person I was to meet at 8:00 postponed till 11:00 - or so…

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Layla - it's good to get past the first sentence.
Xenylic - I doff my hat to you (I'll have to put one on first).
Daniel - good words sound good.
Magnus - it can't be nearly June already? Yikes!

As for me, I got down 613 words today! I am generally speaking happy with progress because I aimed at starting writing the first draft by now. There are some issues to resolve. But the funniest thing about my writing today was when the MC held a sword for the first time in her life: "she grabbed it by the blunt end."

Everyone else - you know what I'm going to say - do what Dory does: keep swimming and feel the force!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: Everyone has their own speed. And books are so unpredictable, you just don’t know the journey ahead of you. I try and focus on the next word, the next scene. Whenever I look ahead too far, I end up with a tight chest and burning desire for whisky.
Ooo you run? For how long? I’ve decided to take it up again (after three brief affairs over the last five years). I’m determined to stick with it this time; I love walking but I also need more of a heart burn now and then.

xenylic: Yay for loving your work! Hang in there re the query. Critical feedback is always hard to stomach at first, but by posting on a forum you’re already going above and beyond what a lot of writers do. It might never be easy, but it will get easier :)

HELLO KATY! Glad to hear you’re back home and connected to the interwebs. Congratulations on your count for May, and for pushing through your block :banana:

Thank you for posting the June thread, Magnus! Can’t believe it’s here already…

Daniel: *fist bump*

Layla: These folk sound like such dafties. Nice work pushing past the first tricky sentence.

Keithy: Nice job!

I managed a few hundred words yesterday for Chapter 2, only to decide the whole of Chapter 2 needs to be scrapped. It was nothing but dull chat, so I need to go back to Chap 1 and pick another direction. My husband is back at work today, so I should be able to put a bigger shift in. I’m also going to go for a run for the first time in ages. My poor, pampered body…it has no idea of the horrors in store.

Day 29: Wee bit; 4 miles; ‘discovery writing’ all over the place

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks :e2coffee:

Not quite the last day of May but realistically I'm not looking at getting a ton done on the novel in the next couple of days. Tonight I'm just going to be tired - I will probably work a little late as I did last night (and I didn't write last night). I have a feeling it's going to be that same kind of evening. Tomorrow evening I have to pack for a trip I'm taking on Friday - my 25th college reunion. :eek:

Speaking of reunion: One of my college classmates is a published author whose novels are beginning to gain some critical traction. I had a drink with her about a year ago, and when I mentioned I'd been working on the novel for nearly a year, she said, "Oh, you have all the time in the world." She worked on her first novel on and off for ten years, while raising two boys and being something of a rock star in what was then her day job. I try to remember her words when I wonder whether I'll have the attention span to really see this thing through. Thanks to all of you for the kind words about that. (And yes, I'll be seeing her this weekend.)

April: I like to call it "running" but it's really more a sort of bouncing shuffle. I'm old (see above) and chubby and slow. About focusing on the next word, this is good advice. I am really excited for my revisions right now; I think my itch to get there and dive into them is what is keeping me moving forward with the draft. That said, I'm sure I'll sing a different tune when I actually get there. About scrapping a completed chapter - it has happened to me more than once along the way, and it's always frustrating. But it's also satisfying, when the second attempt is indeed more promising than the first. Good luck.

Daniel: Nice work. You met my daily goal. ;)

Keithy: Great work. I wonder if there is any way to talk about grabbing a sword that doesn't sound like double entendre.

Layla: Your story confirms my theory that these people you have been working with are thoughtless and suffering from cranial-rectal inversion. None of the dumb stuff they throw your way has anything to do with you or the quality of your work! As for the dental work, I happened to see a meme on Facebook this morning that said: "My dentist told me I need a crown, and I was like I KNOW, RIGHT?!" Consider yourself as royalty.

xenylic: I love that your goal for the month is so well in hand. Superb!

Magnus: Come on back whenever you're ready. Thanks for starting off the June thread.

heykatydid: Welcome back. I know you've been working on this move for a long time - I'm so glad it finally came through for you.

Oh hey, look - it's lunchtime!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, congrats on those 613 words

Daniel - that's the name of the game - I mean the thread ;)

April - the run is a different sort of pampering… & here's to new directions out of CH 1 :D

Lakey - If the weather where you are is anything like it is here, just take it easy & enjoy the days - like your friend says - the book will still be there :)

Day 30 -

WIP: one whole page!
R/SC - Paid moar billz! Went to the dentist. Then got some delishus buns at the tiny hidden bakery on the way home. Started knitting the gauge swatch for my vest & printed the pattern at the liberry
$$ - a wee bit more research on the same practice exercise

On to JUNE!!!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Not my greatest day, although not as bad as the recent "7 word day". I think about 20 or 30. I need to decide many things before I go much further, including names of supporting characters.

swim swim swim

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
Keithy: Congrats on 613! Also, do you mean she grabbed it around the pommel? Cause that brought a hilarious in my brain of a fist wrapped around it like a lopsided apple! That's awesome!

Daniel: Something is everything in this business!

April: I really needed to hear that, thanks! For your chapter 2, I'm sure your brain is feeling picky for a good reason. I hope the rewrite feels satisfying, and good luck (and good job) on that run!

Lakey: That's great to hear! People inspire the best in us, especially when it's about sticking things out. It's a good stepping stone to think of that when your determination starts to slip, and if you need anything else to keep your head in the game, explore. Almost every time we give up on something, we don't know where or what else to try, when in reality there's plenty other tricks we haven't learned about that could make all the difference.

Layla: Excellent! As good a way to end a month as any! I'm jealous at the buns at the baker bit, but that's probably because I'm typing on an empty stomach.

The final boss has been felled! 1.2k words for today's count, which all but guarantees my sweet 60,000 for tomorrow. All I have to do is get in 250, but I think I'm going to go and try and end at another 1k. I am super tired and hungry because I woke up early to write and I was out doing my physical therapy and other chores all throughout the afternoon and into the evening.

After I punch in tomorrow, all my effort will shift to query stuff because my conference (where I'm pitching to my #1 agent) is almost a week away.

Hoo boy, June is going to be my toughest month of the year. I'm a tiny bit terrified of that, but I'm charging into it headfirst with confidence and momentum. Huzzah!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
30th: 175 words.

Slow night: exhausted from work. Nonetheless, I crafted some fine lines together.

So tired. Off to bed now. Nightie night everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.