May Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin: Both of those things sound exciting! It's always a relief to nail the research of any project! Good luck with the move!

Layla: The summer is finally here! Also, you got a couple extra hours of sleep, even with that list of things you got done? I'm blown away daily by your efforts.

Daniel: It's so cool that you're sticking things out. Impossibly large word counts per day, quitting smoking, and making keeping it all together for a good night's rest? You've definitely earned it. I hope you're refreshed today and feel accomplished!

April: April! It's been forever! I'm so glad you're back! As for the no outline, fortune favors the bold, so keep calm and confident, and things will sort themselves out! Nothing gives us the room to stretch our creative faculties quite like impulsively starting the drafting. Godspeed!

Rachel: That's okay! Things are a bit hectic and uprooted for you, but they'll sort out, one way or another. Whatever obstacle is in the way, I'm sure you and your boyfriend will work through it, and bring back that sense of agency you're in need of.

Lakey: Excellent! There's two different types of scenes that I love: those that take you by storm, and those that you've been eagerly awaiting for months on end! Also, what a turnaround that you've gotten past that vying party scene! Keep it up!

I got my 1k in, which leaves me 7k left with 7 weekdays left in the month. Sitting pretty comfortable with that, but now that it's almost June I have to prepare for my book 1 stuff.

I checked my query thread—thoroughly this time. It wasn't terribly awful, and what I gathered from it was that people liked the idea, I just need to refocus the scope of my query to a smaller, more character-oriented premise.

I plan on chipping away at it over the next five days or so, finishing a new query by Sunday. Now, I feel a surge of confidence on what to do, and thankfully, I feel prepared to get it done. See you guys tomorrow!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Daniel - your slow day is something I can barely approach on one of my mad days!

SWANSON! Good to see you :D

Hey Rachel - considering how up in the air things are - I think it's really an accomplishment to keep writing. Any words is better than 0. Keep swimming!

Hey Lakey, glad to hear the pipes have loosened up a bit :)

Xen - did you find the 'Three Query Questions' - it's a thread or a link in one of the squirrel's sigs. I found that very useful - also reading queries that got people agents helps a lot.

Day 22
WIP: 1/4, I think
R/SC 10 hours of earning service
$$: listened to a youtube vid at work for research/training on one of my indie $$ projects

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Version 4 is looking good! It should work - I need to decide how the heroes will sneak into the monastery - either they will dress up in robes or find their way in via the sewers.

This is fun! :hooray:

Daniel - good to hear things are going well.
April - good luck with the outline

just keep swimming!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided that the word counts were a little crazy and I'm going to start aiming for quality over quantity.

Additionally, I am going to start planning out my fiction more. I've started a thread to generate some input. I hope it gains traction.

Still, I love this challenge-- it's awesome! I think that if I keep writing, bit by bit, every day I'll become a more adept writer. That would make me feel wonderful.

Hang in there everybody! We're getting there!

*3 pages edited so far and around 400 words written.*

*UPDATE*

Day 22: 482.

I'm changing my whole approach to writing. I'm going to plan a lot more and do timed writing sessions instead of word counts. I think that'll serve me better.

Wish me luck! I'm pooped again.

Still haven't smoked though, there was even someone offering today. I REFUSED! Hah!

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Rachel: Ah, all of that sucks. It’s horrible when we don’t feel in control. Fingers crossed it works out as you’d planned.

Lakey: Ooo yay! It’s so much fun when you reach a scene you’ve had in your head for ages! Enjoy :)

xenylic: Fortune favours the bold… Okay I’m gonna write that out and stick it on my computer! Good luck writing the query. Have you read the query shark blog? It’s both helpful and humorous.

Layla: And it’s guid tae be back! I see you are being as productive as ever :)

Keithy: Woo! May the fun be with you!

Daniel: It’s always helpful to try out different methods. However, if there’s one thing (well, one of many things) that I’ve learned from years of messing myself up, is that your process is what it is, and it always changes. If your new approach feels awesome then DOUBLE AWESOME; but if it doesn’t, then that’s cool too :) Congratulations on giving up smoking. You’re doing great!

Got masel’ back in the chair yesterday. True to my word, I dived in without a plan and wrote most of a scene, stopping when I came to a natural junction in the plot. It was fun! I mean, I genuinely enjoyed myself. So weird…

SO my plan today is to go for a wee jaunt with the dictaphone and figure out several options for what comes next. Then I’m going to actually write out all of them, to see which one (if any) feels good. I need to get into a better habit of trying out different things rather than charging down the one story path with no room for exploration.

I’m not sure how to record my progress for this book because I’m in word-count rehab… Maybe time? That could be cool…to see how much time I’ve spent on the thing. (But would that include walks or just desk-time? Hmm..) Okay. Have to think. If anyone has an idea about how to record progress that doesn’t involve word-count, I’d love to hear it!

Day 22: Decent bit; 10 miles; far too many hours playing Ni No Kuni II.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ahoy :e2coffee:

~360 words on the current chapter last night. I don't know if it will survive revision. It was the beginning of an unplanned visit from my character's mother. I let the conversation happen, because I will need to do more with her family in revision, and I may as well start developing them now.

ETA and I completely forgot to mention, those 360 words pushed the manuscript total over 90,000! :hooray: I thought I had reached 90,000 a few weeks ago but then I discovered some glitches in the word count ... anyway now it's definitely over 90,000.

Quick hellos to everyone, as I am about to run off for a training that will eat up my whole afternoon:

April: Here's to walking around and dictating. Sometimes I get nothing but sometimes I get something really good. I hear you, too, about trying out different things. I once told a friend that I fully expected to write three times as much text as actually ended up in the novel. I have to remind myself of that now, when I get all angsty about setting entire chapters aside and starting them over.

Daniel: I'm enjoying the evolution of your process. And I love thinking and talking about process so I'm enjoying your thread as well. There are LOTS of threads in the archives discussing the same question - go down to the Google Custom Search box at the bottom of each forum page and try words like "plotter" and "pantser" (as in seat-of-the-pants) to see if some of them turn up.

Keithy: It's delightful to see you feeling happy and energized about your writing! And a good reminder to me, when I'm stuck and miserable about it, that this too can turn around.

Layla: Now I feel like a dusty old organ. :D

xenylic: There is something wonderful about "gosh, I'm finally here." I dictated my notes on Eddie's arrest about a year and a half ago. In another day or two I will actually be writing the scene. It's amazing. Good luck meeting your goal - I'd bet you can do it. I'm so glad you were able to look at your query thread and find the critiques helpful.

Good luck and skill, everyone.

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I now have an outline of an outline for my new project... time to flesh it out. Version 4 it is! The basic events are largely the same as version 1, but with a slightly different order and a switch of villains.

A day off of sorts beckons, then more swimming.

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel, I have a feeling those word counts were fueled by nicotine withdrawal - which is a pretty fantastic way to kick a habit - if there is a mayowrimo you won it a few days back already

Hope that jaunt was productive and pleasant, April. Congrats on getting yer bum back in the chair ;)

Whoa lakey - 90K! That's actually my favorite novel length fwiw.
(ha! I was thinking of those taps you turn & just a drip comes out - that's what I feel like all the time…)

All right Keithy! Congrats on a great V4 :)

Day 23 -
WIP: almost didn't write in the am for running late but I managed it and surprised myself with half a page.
R/SC 10 hrs earning service; some washing, grocery shopping
$$ - reposted my housemate ad - I though I was closing with a canditate but haven't heard from him...

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late night! I'm at 650 words now-- so better than yesterday, and I've got a bus ride ahead of me where I'll be writing away for an hour or so.

I'm going to meet an old friend for an extended 3-4 days. It'll be VERY fun.

Still, I'll try to write at least 1000 words per day. I have to keep focused.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: It’s so hard though to accept we have, like, triple the work ahead of us. On that note, good job with your words, whether they survive revision or not! And 90k is awesome. It has been YEARS since I managed to get a manuscript to that length.

Keithy: Enjoy your breath before the plunge!

Layla: Ah, I knew you’d get those words in! Hope you bag a housemate soon.

Daniel: Woah, I can’t believe you’re able to write on a bus! (I’d vomit.) Good job getting 650. Enjoy your days of merriment!

I went for a wee walk, came up with a bunch of ideas and took a few for a spin. I didn’t get as much done as I’d hoped – felt pretty sick for some reason – and then I had a monster snooze in the afternoon. Not surprisingly, I couldn’t sleep last night so this morning I am totally knick-knacked and feeling as creative as a paperclip. Chickpea blondie and tea has helped, but I think today could be a bit of a rough ‘un. Also, as I lay awake last night, I kept wondering about old projects and what to do with them. Much musing is required.

Day 23: Wee bit; 7 miles; 3am Netflix.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! :e2coffee:

Well, I didn't get anything written last night. I got home a little late, had a few chores, blah blah blah etc.; I didn't even try. But it was not a lost day; I sketched out a little of the chapter after the one I'm working on now... during that training I attended, I'm a little ashamed to say, in minuscule handwriting on a post-it note.

Today the weather is glorious, which means I'll try to get a walk in this afternoon, and do some more thinking or dictating. And, they've opened up the outdoor barbecue at the office caf, which means it is a hot-dog day, and that always makes me irrationally happy. And a three-day weekend coming.

Keithy: Enjoy the well-earned day off, and have fun when you dive back in.

Layla: I am aiming for about 100,000 for the finished beast. (I adore long books but there's no reason this particular story should be one.) Given where I am in the story at the 90k mark, I expect this zeroeth draft will land between 105k and 110k. Whether the revisions shorten it up - who knows? There is plenty to cut - scenes that will be combined, overwriting that will be cleaned up - but there are also things I will need to add or expand upon.

Daniel: Have a fun visit with your friend.

April: Triple the work, yes. I am looking forward to revisions with great excitement - I have so much research I want to do, so many ideas to implement, so many mechanical improvements I can make with all I've learned about craft since I began, I just can't wait! Once I get there, I am sure I will start singing a very different tune. I hope you're feeling better today. My boss has some kind of plague and although she went home early yesterday and has not come in today, I'm still paranoid that she infected me during the three minutes she spent in my office. Every ache and twinge is amplified.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, I did better than 650.

23rd: 1269.

It was good. I came up with so many ideas too while busing. It was great!

April: Oh noes! Hopefully, you feel better soon.

Lakey: No worries, you'll get back on the train. The finish line is near! :)

As Keithy likes to say: keep swimming everyone! :greenie

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thought I'd drop by and check on you all :hi:

Daniel: You seem to be doing great, even with your quality over quantity focus! And congrats again on successfully sticking to your resolution to quit smoking. (I have to admit it's pretty hard when you're trying to change a habit and others around you are not aware of that. But you're doing a great job!)

Lakey: Congratulations on the 90, 000 mark!!! That is huge :) I know the thrill of finishing an MS (and 105-110k is really close). Revisions are a different thing, of course, a little bit tricky sometimes, but it always feels great to improve and develop the original bare bone aspects of a first draft. And at the end you'll have a shiny new thing :)

April: Tell me about monster snoozes and staying up late ... ;) Old projects are always weirdly interesting - I had a pretty big epiphany about one of mine recently (at night - it's always at night, isn't it?) which I then jotted down in the morning before returning to current MS. Hoping your musing works out.

Recording progress - I'd certainly vote for time. It works well, especially during the creative process of coming up with ideas/directions within the story when word count really doesn't reflect accurate progress. I don't usually count the time spent walking and thinking (although, to be honest, that's the most productive moments when the best ideas hit) but I do count the time spent jotting down and developing the various ideas when I turn on the computer.

Keithy: Oh, finally! Very glad to hear Version 4 is swimming along nicely. Monastery, dressing up in robes, sneaking into places, oh, this brings up lots of fun memories for me - reading Ann Radcliffe's novels at night. I have to say Version 4 sounds very exciting!

Layla: Looks like you're keeping your usual hours (and pages), just like I saw you last :) I'm impressed!

xenylic: See? Things always turn out to be better than they seem at first glance. You got out the right things from the thread, and you're ready to dive into the query again with new knowledge and new faith. Hope the new query turns out well by Sunday :)

Rachel: :Hug2: Have faith that it'll turn out well, and whatever happens, you'll be able to deal with it and figure out a way. Even when it seems like things are going against you, sometimes a less-than-pleasant turn of events opens up new doors and leads to better things. The important thing is to stay patient and strong, and remember that you have all the support you need :)

Taylor: Great job with the research!

I'm enjoying the time off from writing, just spending my days reading and listening to books, getting ready for my big leap into writing again in the coming days. Meanwhile, doing yoga, meditation, brisk walking - anything that'll enhance the final moment of return, which I'm excited about. Here in Picturesque, things get really dull really fast, and I look forward to writing again, hopefully very very soon.

Keep up the good work, folks! See you soon.

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. - Jim Rhon

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Drive by for me, sorry -

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - 10 hours earning service. (Some frustration (and hurt feelings, a bit, akshully) again today)
$$ - bit of research

bed time

I got out of bed at 5:15 the other day. Earliest so far this year. The sun was already in the treetops.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I managed 283 words today despite time spent fixing things at home.

Congrats to everyone on their progress.

And... keep swimming!

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
Gah, time is management is really lacking this week. Sorry, guys, gotta do another drive-by.

I got stuck yesterday. Super-duper stuck on a rather trivial issue and cut things short at 500 words and completely unsolved issue glaring in my face. Today, thankfully, I did not panic, and surgically removed the bit the few lines that got me in this rut, and carried on as if nothing happened. I patched it all up, word count included, hitting 1.5k today, and just barely keeping on schedule for my 60k landmark next Thursday. However, right now I'm looking at one more day. One more 1k day and then I have a whole weekend before the final stretch. Gah, it's so close.

In the nonwriting world, I've had a bit of a snag also. Currently in the process of transferring in for college (I commuted this past semester), and housing is up in the air with this school. Pair that alongside the fact that I have to physically mail my current transcripts, and I'm looking at at at least another two weeks before I get any idea on what I'm doing come September. I'm a bit unnerved by that.

I'm also a bit unnerved about trying to juggle the query this weekend with how utterly exhausted I am with my other obligations, but I pushed it back long enough that I have a literal deadline to have it complete by the June 8th, when I'm going to a conference with my #1 agent choice.

So, yeah, I'm a little high strung at the moment with these things, but at least in the immediate vicinity, I have a slower day tomorrow. Two mandatory obligations, and more than six hours in between them. So long as I don't choke at the keyboard, tomorrow will be a great day.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: IMO work training days were made for brainstorming your book. Enjoy your hot dog!

Daniel: Hurrah for ideas!

SKara: Yeah, I’m gonna go for time. And I’m gonna copy your method because it seems sensible – only time at desk counts. Thank you! I’m glad you’re enjoying your time off. Reading, yoga, and walking sounds like a sweet combination of activities.

Layla: ((((big hug)))) for you and a big MEAN FACE to whoever hurt your feelings. A-hole.

Nice, Keithy!

xenylic: I’m glad the tricksy part was removed without too much trauma. I’m sorry you’re not sure what’s happening with your housing; that must be so unsettling. Fingers crossed it gets resolved sooner rather than later. A (((hug))) for you too, I think.

I didn’t do a bloomin’ thing yesterday. Not a thing. My tiredness caught up with me, and I’m not one of those people who can think when they’re tired. So yeah, crap day all round. My husband has a five-day weekend so it’ll be hard to get anything done. BUT, at least Solo is out, so I can have a dose of Star Wars (and Khaleesi!) to pick me up :)

Day 24: hee haw; 5.5 miles; lovely, lovely wine.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello lovely people. :e2coffee:

Well - at 8:00 PM last night I felt droopy, as if I might toddle off to bed a little early, with a whiskey and a book. By 10:00, I had written 570 new words into my manuscript. The words themselves may or may not survive but their content surely will, as it exposed some useful backstory between my two main characters Eddie and Grace, and also between Eddie and her mother, whose relationship sorely needs work in the upcoming revision.

And then I went to bed, without the whiskey or the book.

Enjoy your long weekend, those of you who have Monday off from your day jobs (as I do).

April: I felt rather guilty about the training, as my company's trainings for managers are generally worth paying attention to. I only spaced out for a few minutes of it .... But you should not feel guilty at all about resting up when you're tired. It's the best investment in a productive future one can make, I think. Enjoy Solo, and the weekend, and the wine. (I got a subscription to FilmStruck for my birthday, so if I watch any movies at all it will be movies from ca.1950 that I get to count as research.)

xenylic: What a superb and inspiring job of extricating yourself from your stuck place, with method and intentionality. I'm sorry about the uncertainty - I feel there was someone else on the thread in the last few days, in a similar uncertainty about changes coming in the next few months - was it ReadWriteRachel? It's a frustrating and unnerving place to be. Good luck.

Keithy: Congratulations to you as well.

Layla: How did your feelings get hurt? Was someone rude to you about a job? (You don't have to go into it, of course, merely to satisfy my curiosity.) Whatever it was, that person is a jerk.

SKara: I adore days spent reading, and absolutely count them as productive toward my writing, because I learn something from everything I read.

Daniel: Enjoy your weekend.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, as I was doing chores around the house, I thought to myself, "Wow, this period of rest has been great. No day job to wear me out. I can read at my leisure, and the more I read the more my mind comes alive with stories. Maybe I ought to drag the typewriter off the shelf and get back on that novel. It's nearly done. Or maybe I could begin another short story, now that my two deadline stories are finished. Some new ideas are coming into my brain. Why not make notes? I've spent a week recouping."

Then, a teeny weeny voice in the back of my mind said: "Dude, it's only been two days. You call that a hiatus?"

:Wha:

To make matters worse, Submittable of all things emailed me a notice for a story contest from Owl Canyon Press, and it's a challenge I simply can't resist. They supply the first and last paragraph, you have to write the other 48 without using dialogue tags. Everything in the characters' minds must be paraphrased by the narrator.

Resting... :chores

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
To make matters worse, Submittable of all things emailed me a notice for a story contest from Owl Canyon Press, and it's a challenge I simply can't resist. They supply the first and last paragraph, you have to write the other 48 without using dialogue tags. Everything in the characters' minds must be paraphrased by the narrator.

I got this notice too. It sounds intriguing. I've never worked off a prompt like that ... I'm curious about it.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
K! Go cuz!

Hang in there Xen - & hope your slower day is relaxing (and/or productive :D )

So April, Lakey - how I felt hurt - I've been here at this gig, putting in overtime, helping this woman who really seems in over her head get some control of the situation - and they decided to do another round of interviews for the position I'm temping at. And I have to remind myself that despite how hard I work and how helpful I am, they might just have some kind of ideal that is really different from me - and I might be correct in my belief that I am exactly what they need in that position, but that doesn't mean that they'll think so. But - I've been supportive, helpful, responsive… It was hard not to feel hurt when this person said 'I'll be doing interviews today' without even saying 'I appreciate all your work but please bear in mind that we really want someone trained as an accountant in the role'

& April - happy binge watching, & Lakey - congrats on those 570 words - it feels good to be writing, doesn't it?

Enjoy your break, Taylor :D

Day 25

WIP: 1/4 page
so, uh. The place where I was working 10 hour days - they let me go. The guy from the agency asked me how I was experiencing it (before he told me of their decision) and I said I was really happy. When he told me the news I said, frankly I'm shocked & he said, I know - I'm pretty surprised too. (frex, last week the woman I'm working for left a sticky on my monitor that said 'thanks for all your expertise' - so I thought I was doing ok there…)
So, for self care anyway, I did a long overdue errand - it was on the way home from the errand that I got the news. When I got home I just got back to the unhoarding project. (just gotta keep moving...) I got a couple of dvds from the liberry - one of em is Beauty And The Beast - I need some feelgood tonight.
$$ - did some housemate stuff, I can relax a bit on that front. For one of the indie projects I copied some stuff from a book. I wanted to get double sided copies. It's to keep in a binder for the project and I want to save space. That was tricky - you miss one page, you throw the whole thing off...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
7 words today. Yes, only seven. Is that worth mentioning?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
^
Absolutely yes. You wrote something. Remember the name of the thread? ;)

You beat the blank page today.

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
April: Sorry for the slow day, but try not to let that sully the mood for the weekend. Enjoy the time, even if you didn't have the best lead-in to the long holiday weekend with your husband + movie times. Relaxing is hard work!

Lakey: That's all we can say sometimes. I'm struggling a lot now with that: Wondering how many, if any, of all the words I'm furiously typing into my draft will survive or be of any use, but it has to be done. I feel like there's some farm metaphor applicable here that you need manure to grow your crops :p

Taylor: I don't blame you, that's a compelling prompt. It's hard to give you the time off, but I think it's still worth sticking out. A lot of times its new stuff that catches our eye, and its really great to get started into (and even begin plotting), but we completely forget to consider the work in the equation. Let your brain rest; it's certainly earned it!

Layla: Aw, Layla, I'm so sorry to hear about that. If it's any consolation, you've handled the blow like a champion. Rest up with the weekend, and I'm sure whatever problems arise from this will you'll be able to sort out later. Take it easy!

Keithy: Hey, I've managed to get negative word count before, and when I did, it wasn't intentional. Stuff happens, our brain clogs up with an unforeseen or distraction, and we end up with days like this. Take pride in those seven words! For today, that'll be enough!

I got my 1k and finished Chapter 12. I am less than 4k words away from my goal now, and with the weekend's time off, I'm feeling confident that I'll actually hit the 60k mark on time. I've been extremely driven for this, ever since I wrote two weeks ago after an abysmal start to my month (in terms of writing). To see myself crawl back from that, when I was so certain my goal was all but forfeit, has kept me honest in this week. This is the easy part, and I owe to myself to finish this gosh darned goal since I clawed back from the brink just to get a chance at it.

I had the time, but some technical issues with my computer started flaring up and distracting me during my writing time. These two things make me angry like no other force on earth, and I really felt myself lose my patience one notch too far.

I need to take better care of myself. I'm starting with sleeping in for Saturday, but there's more to it. My meditation and mindfulness habits are completely tattered at the moment, and it's really starting to show. I'm emotionally out of place, and I have every reason to be. It makes me mad to be disregarding these important things so easily, when the time is there. I'm going to make a better effort next week on that. For now, though, let's stick with the positives. I kept my nose to the grindstone and capitalized greatly on my second efforts. I've made use of my time again—not perfectly, but adequately at the very least. And I hope to make it more so as we head into June.

Now, I'm gonna turn in for the night. And tomorrow, I'm going to get this stupid query business taken care of. Good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.