Finally Slogged My Way Through GOT Book 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
LALALA...I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU KEITHY!

Midway through book 4 - finding it better actually as an audiobook so shush! LOL :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's why the TV series diverges from the books, they're all caught up, and can't just stand around whistling.
BTW, if, after the whole series is written :roll:, I wonder if it will occur to the publishers to re-edit the books into each major character's story? So you could get the whole original set, but if you only cared about, say, Tyrion, or Jon Snow, you could get a book (or e-book) of only their bits? (Other scenes that might affect their stories could be briefly summarized.)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's why the TV series diverges from the books, they're all caught up, and can't just stand around whistling.
BTW, if, after the whole series is written :roll:, I wonder if it will occur to the publishers to re-edit the books into each major character's story? So you could get the whole original set, but if you only cared about, say, Tyrion, or Jon Snow, you could get a book (or e-book) of only their bits? (Other scenes that might affect their stories could be briefly summarized.)

I remember reading on fan sites opinions to the effect that the TV series will make GRR write faster so he can keep ahead of it. So much for that.

I'm on Dance with Dragons right now. I like it, but there's too many characters - there needs to be a cull soon so that things can wind down to the last book "A dream of getting the darn thing finished"

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Just about finished "Feast for Crows".

A friend gave me Feast for Crows for Christmas. The third book had been so good that I couldn't wait to continue. I remember eagerly anticipating the read, saving it for a day when I knew no one would interrupt me.

And then I opened the book and started.

Dance with Dragons was a little better, but not much. If Winds of Winter is ever published, I'll wait until there's a second-hand copy for sale.

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Never could get into it. It was okay, sure, but it didn't quite tickle my fancy.

I've read all of Sansa's chapters in all the books. Read a lot of Jon's, then I started reading the book in order, got halfway through the first book and asked myself: what's the point of becoming invested if GRRM is never going to finish the series? Now I've set the books aside. If GRRM releases The Winds Of Winter, then I'll binge read all six books. For now I'm pouring all my love into the show.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Dance with Dragons and overall I like it better than I remember. But... why does GRRM suddenly start using the word "pinkie" for someone's little finger? It's a modern term, not used before the 19th century. If you're doing a POV then do it from the person's POV with regard to the setting, not a contemporary POV with modern language. Dany does not think to herself "Daario Naharis is hot" before saying to Grey Worm how much that sword looks like a lightsaber.

btw I've been steadfastly avoiding the show where possible, even though the ending is pretty obvious without it. This oft-stated thing about GRRM never finishing a series bothers me.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I've just finished Dance with Dragons and overall I like it better than I remember. But... why does GRRM suddenly start using the word "pinkie" for someone's little finger? It's a modern term, not used before the 19th century.

I must look out for that if I ever reread the book.

The word "neeps" annoyed me more. I feel like Martin fixates on certain words - leal, nuncle, niello, etc. - and then they crop up everywhere. I started thinking of the series as "the knights who say 'Neeps!'"

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished #4 yesterday in time to wrap up 2018, so now it’s time for Dance with Dragons

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My intention is to reread the whole series, then watch the whole HBO series. I could die of old age first, though, in light of the rate at which I fulfill my intentions.

Maryn, honest

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
Wow... that's wonderful! I haven't read a cover-to-cover in a while ... :Ssh:

Status
Not open for further replies.