Finally Slogged My Way Through GOT Book 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The ending was good enough, and I have the excitement to start book 4 now, but that was a long 974 pages. I understand the next one is even longer so I took a break and finished two other books on my read list that were easily 1/10th the challenge.

I’ve got another 2 days of vacation time and think I can read one more to make 4 books in 6 days!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're monsters, those Game of Thrones books. I just started rereading the series for the first time in many years, and it's interesting how different it is when 1) I know what I now know about what happens, and 2) I rarely mix up who's who because I've seen most of the HBO series. (I still look up the actors on a few minor characters; it helps me envision as I read.) I'm halfway through the first book, and the plan is to read other less demanding things in between.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Heh that’s actually why I put them on my read list - brother said the show is great. So I asked, “Better than the book?” He had no idea. LOL

I wanted to get the authors vision of things first before having it altered by the Hollywood “creatives”. Plus I hear the show has deviated from the book by now... :(

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I am slogging my way through book 2, this time with a critical eye. It's still pretty good, but I know I'll get to book 3 and remember that (a) books 4 & 5 aren't too good and (b) the thing isn't finished yet. You do know that book 6 isn't coming out this year? That's hardly a shock anymore. To think some fans thought it would be out by 2015. Chuckle.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
What's book 6 gonna be? 200K words?!?!?!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never could get into it. It was okay, sure, but it didn't quite tickle my fancy.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my reread of book one and will read something else before taking on book two. My SIL gave me a fat book she read for a book club and really liked. The Lilac Girls or something like that. We'll see. Her tastes and mine sometimes don't jibe.

I want to read a book that isn't 800 pages. Is that too much to ask?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my reread of book one and will read something else before taking on book two. My SIL gave me a fat book she read for a book club and really liked. The Lilac Girls or something like that. We'll see. Her tastes and mine sometimes don't jibe.

I want to read a book that isn't 800 pages. Is that too much to ask?

I get that way sometimes, and it’s especially worrying when your own writing tends to go longways.

By the way, love your sig. I remember those times and how fun it was to get online. Now, I usually avoid the internet if I can help it.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Still slogging through book 2. My main impression at the moment is that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I know what's in the next few books (in outline) and it's more "stuff happening". Lots of small stories that don't always make a big story. I used to prefer the books to the series due to the added depth. Now I'm wondering... are the many characters and plot lines getting in the way of the storytelling?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And surely I'm not the only one who doesn't carve out an hour a day every day for reading, resulting in forgotten details when I return to my book. It's this damned writing, I think. I have a finite amount of word time in me per day, and if I use it writing, I don't read.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
My dad complains that as a retiree, there's not enough time in the day between guitar practice, banjo practice, working out, eating, errands, and such to add an hour of reading lol

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My dad complains that as a retiree, there's not enough time in the day between guitar practice, banjo practice, working out, eating, errands, and such to add an hour of reading lol

Retirees have it so hard, my mom constantly complains that there's no time to get anything done between the morning bloody marys and the white wine at lunch.

I thought book three was my favorite, the next two started to feel like a slog to me, but also opened up the world and expanded the storyline in interesting and satisfying ways. So many checks he's written I hope we eventually can cash.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't so much singling out Book 3 as I am critiquing GRRM as an author - it's like man, he's so wordy!

I did find Book 3 to be the most entertaining and engaging thus far - so am going to approach books 4 and 5 with a bit of trepidation LOL

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is making me want to skip the SIL's gift book and proceed directly to the next GoT book.

Maryn, very bad

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh, dare I ask - what is SIL's gift book?

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I have long read books whilst in the bath. It's about the only time I get to do so.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed GRRM is wordy lol. Even worse is how long he takes between books. I think it's been nearly seven years of waiting now.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 30% through book 3 and remembering my frustrations with the series: there's characters I like, and some that bore me. Dany and Tyrion I like. Jon Snow is pretty good too. Bran's wanderings and changing into a wolf are very boring. Arya is more boring than I recall. Ah, but the red wedding is coming up. That shocked me the first time around, but now I see the hints leading up to it more clearly.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Elder!Frey was one of my favorite characters in the series, btw.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 30% through book 3 and remembering my frustrations with the series: there's characters I like, and some that bore me. Dany and Tyrion I like. Jon Snow is pretty good too. Bran's wanderings and changing into a wolf are very boring. Arya is more boring than I recall. Ah, but the red wedding is coming up. That shocked me the first time around, but now I see the hints leading up to it more clearly.

I'm with you, Keithy. Read the full series-to-date a few times. Just finished listening to the audio of book one. On the library waiting list for book two. He do go on, at times, don't he? The recollections I have of pages long descriptions of landscapes and food were not present in book one. Yes to the red wedding. My partner watches the show but didn't read the books, so I stared at his face while he watched it. Lots of expletives. :Wha:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Just about finished "Feast for Crows". And I've come across the usual problems at this point. It dawns on me that the series isn't finished yet, and will probably not be finished for at least 6-8 years at the present rate of progress (I would not be surprised if it were another 10 years). I read the Iron men chapters and still think they're completely pointless. I mean, who cares who their next king is? Why are Brienne and Cersei so stupid? Why can't we have more of Dorne. Too many characters - that should be obvious from the need to split a book in two. And a new one - why are the characters suddenly talking in modern slang ("Coz") when they never did before? I've seen this thing with modern language in medieval settings elsewhere and it's jarring - it's poor editing.

So, Dance with Dragon beckons. Why put all the best characters in one book?

Status
Not open for further replies.