Lost flashdrive, can Scrivener files be opened without Scrivener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My data is not lost. So that's OK. I have four more flash drives with the data plus my notebook.

Sigh, and I know I should have encrypted the flash drive files, I'm an idiot.

It would be incredibly unlikely the person finding my flash drive with my 90% completed novel would be a person who would do anything with it.

But I would feel better knowing said finder would need Scrivener to open the files (improving odds in my favor). All files on the drive are Scrivener, none are in any .doc or Word format. And I use a Mac, (more odds in my favor) so there is also the possibility anyone finding the drive wouldn't be using a Mac.

And I've got plenty of evidence it is my novel should anyone try to use it.

But I would like to know the risk of damage extent.

Thanks in advance for all the help I get in this forum.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You wrote it. You have copyright. They do not. Anyone publishing it is violating your copyright, and you can sue.

If they put it online, you can file a DMCA takedown.

It's stressful and unpleasant, but really not likely anyone will publish.

Scrivener files can be opened, but you have to know how. And then the text isn't presented well; lots of other data mixed in, not really formatted well.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Did you retrace your steps and recall where you saw it last? It might appear somewhere, unless you left it outside the home (or it was stolen). Worth looking into, if you merely just misplaced it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, searched everywhere twice or more, and called the last place I might have lost it. It still might turn up under something.

Thanks, Lisa, that helps me feel better.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I think a friend left a printed version of my book in an uber instead of bringing it to his partner who wanted to read it . . . sigh!

I don't recall if my contact info was on it, but if I found someone's flash drive, I might check the files and try to contact the person who lost it, knowing the pain it would be for the owner.

A less honorable person might erase your files and just use it.

A book is a lot to read, never mind try and finish and steal. And you do have proof it's yours.

Remember, we writers beg people to read our books, Joe or Jane Schmo, what are the chances they're readers? Files with a weird extension, delete! I'm just saying all this hoping to calm you down, I'm sure your book is awesome, but the odds are in your favor, maybe more than 90%

Back to the uber, um yeah, someone sits there and sees this whole book . . . I ain't gonna read that, LOL!

I'm so glad you have back-ups! Nothing sucks worse than losing an almost finished book!!! I lost a scene once and thought I was going to die!

I don't have Scrivener, so I can't speak to that aspect though. Sorry for the stress it's causing you.

:Hug2:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Darien. I hope it ends up in the trash somewhere, or if someone erases it and uses it, that would not bother me. Flash drives are cheap.

It's so unlikely the person who finds it can make use of it, that is how I'll sleep tonight. And, on the bright side, it will motivate me to get this thing done and query letters out there. :)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Tech-savvy people will simply trash it. "Lost drives" are often used to propagate viruses and other malwares, especially for spying on tech companies. The lesser-savvy people will go meh, reformat it, and use it as brand new and only if it's better than what they already have. Only a very small percentage will go as far as trying to examine the file format and try to match it with the executable, only to find out they have to a) install some bizarre software on their machine and b) maybe having to pay said software, which isn't worth it after all.

No biggie.

-cb

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tech-savvy people will simply trash it. "Lost drives" are often used to propagate viruses and other malwares, especially for spying on tech companies. The lesser-savvy people will go meh, reformat it, and use it as brand new and only if it's better than what they already have. Only a very small percentage will go as far as trying to examine the file format and try to match it with the executable, only to find out they have to a) install some bizarre software on their machine and b) maybe having to pay said software, which isn't worth it after all.

No biggie.

-cb

That's a good point. The odds are ever in my favor. :)

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Well, yes and no, and I'm sorry this won't be comforting. You can open many of the RTF files stored inside a Scrivener archive folder with pretty much anything. However, it would be like trying to put together a puzzle by looking at one and only one piece at a time. It would be incredibly tedious to put anything together.

However, if they figure out it's a Scrivener file, they could theoretically download the forty day free trial of Scrivener to open it and then export to whatever format they want.

Maybe you should create a Google alert for some unique text in there, just to be on the safe side. Or maybe not. I'm pretty paranoid.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm counting on the any tech savvy person won't risk a virus and anyone who doesn't know that won't be able to open the files.

The odds are slim the wrong person will be the one to find it.

In the meantime, I am hurrying to finish the book and get it out there. It's motivating me to stop dragging my feet on these last little bits.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
That's a good point. Anyone smart enough to work out how to open the file should be too smart to do anything to flash drive besides throw it away.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of this novel somewhere else? It would suck to lose a novel, even more so one that's 90% complete.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of this novel somewhere else? It would suck to lose a novel, even more so one that's 90% complete.
That would suck. I have the files on this computer, copies on 4 other flash-drives and the majority of the novel on paper though that is in the form of chapters I've taken to critique group so that would be a nightmare if it were the only copy, it has none of the massive revisions.

I should go print another hard copy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.