NFL Draft

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for posting this thread. I usually don't pay much attention to the NFL collegiate draft, in no small part because of the supernatural degree of hype it now generates, but there's a bit of comic soap-opera going on with the early picks in this year's draft, so . . .

The first pick in this year's draft (held tonight) belonged to the Cleveland Browns, by far the most pathetic team in the league right now, a team that won exactly zero games last year, and only one game the previous year. That's a 1-31 win-loss record, which is a record of its very own. Nobody else has ever managed that achievement over 32 games.

The Browns have a long dishonorable history of bad quarterbacks, and right now they don't have much in that department. But they don't have much in any other department, either. They also have an equally dishonorable history of making disastrous first-round draft picks. Now, to be successful, any quarterback needs surrounding quality players. In particular, a quarterback's best friend is often a really good running back. There was exactly one of those available in this year's draft, Saquan Barkley of Penn State, who was a Heisman Trophy candidate last fall and, in my divinely-inspired opinion, should have won it. Instead, it went to Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, a good athlete to be sure, but not exactly a prototypical NFL pro-style quarterback, and in addition, a guy who carries around a reputation of being arrogant and self-centered.

The Browns not only had the first draft pick, they also had the fourth one, courtesy of a trade they made. And there were four other prominent, highly regarded quarterbacks available in this draft, with a lot of commentary from the sports commentary gurus arguing who, among the five total, would be the best to draft. Mayfield generally didn't fall out as the number one among them.

So, the Browns could have drafted running back Barkley as the first pick, and been guaranteed the availability of at least three of that field of major quarterback picks, with Mayfield likely to be still available at pick four position, if they wanted him. But it's even more likely that at least four of the five quarterback picks would have remained available, because the NY Giants, at pick number two, were unlikely to take any of the quarterbacks, because that isn't their greatest present need. What the Giants desperately do need is that big running back. The NY Jets, at pick three, do need a quarterback, and would almost certainly take one, but it is unlikely they would want Mayfield in that position. So, to summarize, the Browns could take Barkley at Pick One, and likely still have Mayfield available at Pick Four.

So . . . who do the Browns pick at Number One?

Baker Mayfield.

They justified that with the statement that they wanted him because "he was a winner and a great athlete". In other words, the exactly qualities they valued a couple of years ago in selecting another Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, Johnny Manziel, one of the most atrociously bad first-round draft choices in NFL history.

So, what did the Giants do? They took Saquan Barkley, and I'm quite sure they are filling the champagne glasses in their team offices as we speak.

Mayfield probably won't be the extreme disaster that Manziel was. He may even turn out to be successful. But with a franchise run as badly as the Cleveland Browns, you have to wonder.

caw

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya, but things in Broncoland ain’t so rosy either. We’ve just come off a season where we posted our worst record in fifty years. That’s 5-0 years!!! Nearly since the start of the franchise. And this only 2 years after bringing the Lombardi trophy home. Why is this?

Because John Elway, in all his egomaniacal glory refuses to admit that while he was a great QB, he can’t draft one. Since Elway has come been in the drafting decisions maker role, we’ve had a grand total of 2 pro bowlers. That’s two in like 10 years. He doesn’t like to be told he’s wrong, won’t tolerate it, and refuses to ever admit it. He happened to be the QB for our first 4 appearances, where we lost:

Every.
Single.
One.

He was present for the one won on the shoulders of Terrell Davis. And then he actually contributed to the one after against the Falcons. The one with Peyton at the helm - that was the worst QB performance in the history of the SB. A 1-6 record is not that great. All this means (imho) he needs to step down, but his ego won’t let him.

Kinda like another guy we all know who struts around pretending he’s making things great again when they were never that great before because of him.

This is coming from the kid who thought he walked on water in the 90’s

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Elway hires poorly (McDaniels, Kubiak, and so forth). Elway needs to first improve this nonsense before worrying about who his coaches draft. Denver got a solid player at pick #5. They have too many problems, and I suspect they will have more next season. A really good draft won't save them from their most critical problems.

I live in Colorado, but I don't follow the Broncos. I've followed the Packers and Patriots since I was a kid, decades ago. Patriots usually trade first round picks for multiple later round picks. They are using them this year, apparently.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Colorado, but I don't follow the Broncos...

Ah yes, another Colorado transplant.

Well, at least the Patriots (though I naturally hate ‘em lol) and the Packers aren’t cellar dwellers. The Broncos used to own the AFC, now we’re the laughing stock. No one takes us seriously anymore. I can’t remember the last time no one took the Packers or Pats seriously...

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
When Favre was ousted, in favor of Rodgers, there was some internal conflict within the community of fans. Some people did not take them seriously for giving up a Superbowl-winning QB like that. That all went away, for Packers fans, when Favre landed with the Vikings.

As per Elway, you have to give him credit for one thing.... Of the big 3 QBs in the 83 draft (Marino, Elway, and Jim Kelly), he is the only one to ever earn a Superbowl ring. That's saying A LOT compared to those guys. Let's see who the Broncos get in the the other rounds.

I was born and raised in southern California, but I was not much of a fan of the L.A. Rams, L.A. Raiders, or S.D. Chargers when I lived there. I followed the USC Trojans more.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Meh the NFL = Not For Long

Its a “what have you done for me lately” league, and his athleticism of an era now 30 years gone is not helping his poor organizational decisions now. Just because he’s good with money and knows how to make a buck doesn’t translate into success on the gridiron in the Win-Loss column. His Stanford degree helps his business skills, but an NFL team is a living breathing entity and he’s killing it...

He doesnt bleed blue blue and orange and could give two shits what happens to the franchise - he’s in it for the money.

Plus he is a huge ass. I’ve actually met him twice. On camera all smiles, afterwards it’s “get me away from these heathen shits”. He divorced Janet shortly after her breast cancer was confirmed then went off and married a Raiders cheerleader. He thinks he can do no wrong and he’s done nothing right lately. I don’t think he even realizes how much of the fan base actually wants him gone. This town made him who he is, and this town will chew him up and spit him out if this draft goes to the shitter like his last 10.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I know that internal conflict quite a bit. Broncos fans are diehards. I see people, during football season, wearing Elway, Manning, and even Tebow. Many stay with their guy through the thickest and thinnest of times. Elway did right being part of ring-winning teams. For some people, that equates to lifelong loyalty. Elway's croneyism with Kubiak is too much for me.