Thomas Covenant (Donaldson)

Raistlin (Dragonlance - Weis/Hickman)

Does anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much every character in "The Blade Itself," by Abercrombie, but Inquisitor Glokta is my favorite.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Many of the characters in GRRM's ASoIaF series would qualify. Someone also mentioned Abercrombie's books. Some of the characters in Kameron Hurley's Mirror Empire are pretty dark. Mark Lawrence's protagonists also qualify. Anything in the Grimdark subgenre. Locke Lamorra is no boy scout. Neither were Fafherd and the Gray Mouser.

Also, Michael Moorcock's Elric books. They're not uncommon in old-fashioned sword and sorcery. Kane in Karl Edward Wagner's books comes to mind. Also, some of the characters in Poul Anderson's the Broken Sword.

Zaria in Melissa Caluso's The Tethered Mage might qualify, or maybe she's more of a reluctant hero.

Some of CJ Cherryh's characters count too, I think, though most of the ones I can think of are in her SF novels, not her fantasy novels.

Last edited:

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gerald Tarrant in The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman is one of my favorites. (depending on who you ask the series is fantasy, sci fi, or both)

Last edited:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
The one and only

indomitable

inscrutable

irascible

CUDGEL THE CLEVER

nuff said.

Sam Artisan

Held captive by angry blue elves.
Registered
Reaction score
Locke the Gentleman Bastard, Shadow from American Gods, Kelsier from Mistborn...

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if flashman qualifies but its certainly worh a look

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Waylander!
Jorg Ancrath
Prince Jalan (who is very much Flashman in a fantasy setting)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to think of protagonists that aren't necessarily grimdark antiheroes, but rather just flawed or conflicted people with bags of sand around their feet. Classic anti-heroes, if you will. Can't think of any off-hand, any suggestions?

BTW, I really like the characters in the Bartimaeus trilogies. Bartimaeus is a charming, egotistical sociopath with his back always against a wall, and John/Nate is an unlikable creep because that's the only kind of person that survives in the sorcery world. Kitty, the third protag, is pretty much pure good, and gets a tad less screen time because of it.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I'm not seeing a lot of female characters in the listings.

I was thinking of this a bit more narrowly than some of you, and I can see your points. I'll pick up a few of these recommendations.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I was thinking of this a bit more narrowly than some of you, and I can see your points. I'll pick up a few of these recommendations.

This is an interesting point, and one I noticed too. Antiheroes seem to be most common in the modern Grimdark subgenre, which is 100% male writers from what I can tell (there are women, like Kameron Hurley and Anne Bishop, who write really dark stiff, but their names never come up when people list Grimdark titles and authors).

Antihero characters tend to run male too, though Abercrombie has some female characters who may qualify. I suspect that female characters seem to be under more pressure to be "likeable" still, as are girls and women in real life. Mark Lawrence has a female protagonist in his Red Queen series. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing she may have some antiheroish qualities, if his earlier (male) characters are anything to go on.

Some of the characters in Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series and in Katherne Kurtz's Derayni books (however it's spelled) may be what you are looking for too. It can be hard to tell antagonists from protagonists. They were writing back in a time when it was more common for fantasy protagonists in general to be male, but they did have some female characters in their ambitious, competitive, duplicitous mixes. Their books are sometimes discussed as precursors to the Game of Thrones archetype--many characters competing for success in a somewhat dark, backstabbing world.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

Very good point!

In YA fantasy, Adelina in the Marie Lu's The Young Elites is a rather nasty & entertaining example, more of a villain protagonist. Same goes for Xifeng in Julie Dao's Forest of a Thousand Lanterns.

Baru in Traitor Baru Cormorant

Monza in Best Served Cold, because someone was going to say it.

I've heard tell the female MCs in Myke Cole's The Armored Saint and CS Friedman's Magister Trilogy are good example of this, but have not read the books myself.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Lawrence has a female protagonist in his Red Queen series. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing she may have some antiheroish qualities, if his earlier (male) characters are anything to go on.

I think you mean his Red Sister book, which is the start of a new series. The Red Queen series had a prominent, powerful woman as one of the main characters, but the protagonist was still male (and a complete rascal with the ladies, so definitely more of the male anti-hero tropes).

The Red Sister book is chock-a-block with women, and the protagonist does seem like she might be gearing up to be an anti-hero--partly because she's a scary bad-ass and partly because anti-heroes do seem to be Mark Lawrence's thing. :)

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the protag in Red Sister, Nona, is a anti-hero. But then again, my definition is a bit more narrow, even though I can see how a character like Kelsier might be considered one.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Rarer than an antihero woman, is simply an ugly female protagonist. I've read two books that fit that bill.

But that's probably a different topic.

re above example, I feel I should expand. Nyx is quite simply an unpleasant person, and a bounty hunter, so not a hero and not (I felt) ethical or motivated by any kind of altruism.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Oh! The Traitor, Baru Cormorant.

Really solid novel. Recent. Lesbian female protagonist, and an antihero. Imo, anyway. You would have to read all the way through and judge for yourself.

Another one - The Library at Mount Char. Female antihero protagonist, also recent. Written by one of the people who is instrumental to AW's existence.