Where do I start?

SteinbeckisGod

Registered
Reaction score
You know how Pinnochio wanted to become a real boy? Well, I want to become a real author.

I've written opinion articles for a school newspaper before, and they were well-recieved. I've posted short stories online, and they were also well-recieved. Now, I want to take the next step. I want to go from random guy on the internet to actual published writer. The problem is, I don't know where to start!

Can anyone help me?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You've posted stories online.

Congrats! You're a real published author! Self-publishing is a fully valid method of publication. :)

But to more seriously answer your question, which I think is, "I want to be published on a professional or semi-professional level," the answer is, write stuff. Write like you've been writing, but instead of posting those stories online, go to the Submission Grinder and take a look at what places are looking for works the length and genre of your stuff. You can also scan it for anthologies and see if any of the topics call to you. If you feel like you want to write novels instead of shorts, then get started. The very first place to start with getting published in any format is to have something worth publishing.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
And read lots, too, once you've some inkling of what you want to write. You'll need to know your genre well. Plus, the more you read, the more you absorb.

snoozle

Registered
Reaction score
Begin by answering the following questions:

-What do I want to write: short story, poems, novels, plays? Something else? If novels, what age group and genre?

- When was the last time I read (answer to above)? What have I read that was published recently in the area in which I want to be published? If your answer is anything less recent than the past couple of weeks, begin here. Read everything you can.

- When was the last time I wrote a (answer to above)? If your answer is anything less recent than in the past couple of months, that's where I'd go next. Get your feet wet, begin to write what you want to eventually publish.

- What critique groups exist in my area? Look into joining one. Even if you have nothing to contribute the first few times you go, you'll learn so much by listening to people and reading their work.

Good luck!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that everyone, without question, has offered great advice.

Follow the yellow brick road! : D