Cops Called on Black People Golfing Too Slowly.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding, though it could be an Onion piece.

Yes, this is how far and how deep this kind of racism and bias goes, and, btw, how fucking stupid people are, because there's some indication the idiot who called the cops at the private golf course knew he was calling them to oust a lawyer who happens to be the president of the local chapter of the NAACP. Good move, fuckwit.

Five women, including the aforementioned lawyer, booked a tee time at the club, at which they are all members. Their time was delayed by weather, as was presumably everyone's around then. They teed off, played through, with a foursome behind them who never, not once, came up against them. By the second hole, someone in charge came up and told the women they were moving too slowly. They're all well-experienced golfers. They skipped the third hole. They were again told they were too slow. They took a break after the first nine, three left, the other two went back to the course but were told their break was too long, they should vacate the premises, and the cops had been called.

One member of the foursome playing behind them corroborates the women's version of events at the bottom of the excerpt of the NYT piece. --

In Ms. Thompson’s video, Jordan Chronister can be seen saying, “Congratulations, you’re a real winner,” adding, “Remove yourself from our premises within the next five minutes, please.”

“The authorities have been called,” another man said.

“Back off,” Steve Chronister told his son on camera. “This is what she wants. This is what she does for a living.”

Ms. Thompson said that the group had completed nine holes in two hours. Not only were they playing on pace, the sole group playing behind them had also not been impeded, she said. That group can be seen on the video, taking a break before teeing off.

“They were not rushing,” she said. “They were out, just like we were, out having a good day. They were leisurely.”

Both Ms. Thompson and Ms. Ojo said that the group behind them had not complained. In fact, Ms. Thompson added, one of the men from that group “came to us and told us how outraged he was at our treatment.”

One of those golfers, Damen Carter-Mann, told The Daily Record on Wednesday that the women kept up the pace the entire game. “Not one time,” he said, “did we catch up with those ladies.” He described them as nice and professional.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Onion piece or not, this is ugly.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for the police who told the golf course employees it was not a police matter and they did not arrest the women.

“The police were respectful, so it is not about the police,” Ms. Thompson said in her Facebook post.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the police get tired of being called out as bouncers when nothing illegal is going on.
These women were apparently paid-up members - had no-one seen them before? Or was it okay to take their money, as long as none of the white members saw them?

I hope that they cancel their memberships, and that lots of others cancel in support. Especially other lawyers. 'Cause who wants to pay the extra assessment to cover the lawsuits? :evil

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the police get tired of being called out as bouncers when nothing illegal is going on.
These women were apparently paid-up members - had no-one seen them before? Or was it okay to take their money, as long as none of the white members saw them?

I hope that they cancel their memberships, and that lots of others cancel in support. Especially other lawyers. 'Cause who wants to pay the extra assessment to cover the lawsuits? :evil

There was a similar incident in Jersey over the past week or so -- two men in an LA Fitness gym. One a member of 8 years, one on his guest pass. The member had walked in by using his keychain ID to scan into the gate/lock thing.

They were working out when someone came over and said they had to leave. They explained they were members/on a pass, the member got his keychain out of his locker to allow the worker to scan to show his membership. The clerk called the cops, told the men their membership was revoked, and had them tossed. The gym corp level has apologized and fired the workers, but yeah, it's on tape.

Basically, I've learned black people should probably not leave the house.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Basically, I've learned black people should probably not leave the house.

Or give money to homeless. (Viral twitter thread, not a news article. A girl's boyfriend was pulled over, held for several hours, held at gunpoint, his car searched and personal objects lost because he gave some change to a homeless man who a cop claimed had a history of drug buying)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only new thing about this glut of racists acts is how public they are.

I said it before and I'll continue to say it. Donald Trump hit a cord with a group of racists, who up until he ran on a platform of open racism and bigotry, had kept quiet about their racism. Now those people feel justified and emboldened in their racism and have no problem publicly wearing it like a badge of honor.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yeah, not new. But I hope people keep filming-and-speaking-out. Shine a light, and stuff.

I also hope that -- just like when people are negligent, or setting up fake emergencies -- local jurisdictions will start billing people for this sh!*. Responding to these prank calls takes officers away from real problems, like active shooters.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of these idiots watch the news?

Or maybe they do, since it's the new normal...

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Thinking about this, it probably doesn't help the relationships between the cops and black people in general -- on either side. I mean obviously being harassed by cops is going to make you wary of cops, but if you're a cop, even if you start in the job from a place of generally not being a racist, wanting to treat everyone fairly, I can imagine a couple years of being called out to this sort of thing, told how suspicious the black people looked, being flagged down because there are some black people parked over there and you know... just on and on and on, even if you know it's racist, prejudicial bullshit, there may be a cumulative, unconscious effect of that kind of thing that makes you start to see people just wandering the world minding their own business in the way the people who do this shit must. Basically, eek, black people!

It really baffles me most when it happens in places like Philly or Secaucus though, as these are places with and adjacent to populations that are not super white. Philly has like several times the number of black residents as the nationwide average. I get the 'eek, black people,' thing more in more heavily white areas, I guess, than more racially diverse ones.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
... Philly has like several times the number of black residents as the nationwide average. I get the 'eek, black people,' thing more in more heavily white areas, I guess, than more racially diverse ones.

The Delaware Valley, my entire life, has been littered with absurd Antebellum-wannabes. The white default is to assume you can say any racist/prejudiced (the most common soft-sell descriptor people use here)/biased thing to any other white person. Every day I leave the house, I have to shame some pinhead(s) for reveling in how badly they were raised, and for how ignorant they have happily remained. Black people and immigrants have to put up with it because they don't have a choice, and most white people don't care to offer them the choice to be safe in any one environment.

The only way to be ready for these conversations is to consciously concentrate to see color, and thereby see what happens to color.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Something odd about this. It's unusual for a golf course to allow a fivesome play together because doing so does tend to slow up play. So it's likely that the course was not very busy and the people in the pro shop knew the women and how they played. If this is true then the problem lies with the individual who told the women to speed up their play. Members are very important to golf courses and clubs usually go out of their way to keep them happy.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Something odd about this. It's unusual for a golf course to allow a fivesome play together because doing so does tend to slow up play. So it's likely that the course was not very busy and the people in the pro shop knew the women and how they played. If this is true then the problem lies with the individual who told the women to speed up their play. Members are very important to golf courses and clubs usually go out of their way to keep them happy.

More than one person -- all who worked at or owned the joint -- told them to play faster, starting with someone who has an "advisory role" at the course --

He asked them twice to leave and threatened to cancel their memberships over their pace of play, she said.

After they finished the first nine, it escalated to the owners again, apropos of exactly nothing --

they were approached by one of the club’s owners and other employees, who said that their break took too long and that they had called the police.

Again, the OWNERS --

In Ms. Thompson’s video, Jordan Chronister can be seen saying, “Congratulations, you’re a real winner,” adding, “Remove yourself from our premises within the next five minutes, please.”

“The authorities have been called,” another man said.

“Back off,” Steve Chronister told his son on camera. “This is what she wants. This is what she does for a living.”

So.... I don't know what's odd besides racist assholes being racist assholes, but that's not really odd.

The course was booked, and they'd specifically asked to play as a fivesome when they booked the tee time, so... again, what's happening here besides racism?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There are many things I hate about our overly-connected era, where anything can be photographed or recorded at any time.

However, the ability to expose these acts of oppression and bigotry makes up for students who take pictures of board notes and diagrams in class instead of writing and drawing them (and the other daily sillinessess of our phone-dependent culture). We need to keep shining these lights and spraying Raid on the squirming hate-maggots until they give up.

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
golfing seems so slow as it is....i can't imagine it being ANY slower. i had no idea that there was a reverse speed limit for the game....

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
If there wasn't a minimum pace, golf could very easily take forever.

Pace of Play is 15 minutes per hole on average (a Par 5 will take longer than a Par 3 just because you have to physically travel the distance and that in itself takes time) - a very easily achievable benchmark, might I add. At that pace, a foursome will complete 18 holes in 4.5 hours, and a five-some usually takes around 4:45. And as the group behind these ladies wasn't a five-some and didn't catch up to them even once, I would say that they were at the very least on pace, if not faster, so them being told to speed up is more than a little ridiculous.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
golfing seems so slow as it is....i can't imagine it being ANY slower. i had no idea that there was a reverse speed limit for the game....

As the poster below you notes, there's a general expectation that can vary per course, and is the reason courses stagger tee times. Like you book a starting tee time for 10am, the next available tee time would likely be 10:15, to avoid people running into each other on the course -- which happens all the time anyway, if one group is slow for any of a dozen reasons.

If a group is slower, the people behind them close the time gap and catch up at some hole or other, at which point, the polite thing to do is for the lead group to step aside and let the group behind them play through, basically swapping the order. It's no big deal.

As noted, the group behind them never came up against them, and the five women finished the first nine holes in two hours, which is under par time. They're experienced golfers who said they were hitting really well.

This was nothing but racism.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score