Do new books about assassins sell?

Eclipses

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where this topic goes really, so forgive me if this is the wrong place. I was just wondering about the marketability of assassin books, particularly mafia and criminal assassins, or how difficult it would be to get representation with one. I ask this because I don't see a lot of these types of books from new authors (or I'm just a horrible researcher) published traditionally at least. Not that this would stop me from working on my own project about an assassin, and I've been told a lot it's really all about the story that generates interest, but would this type of genre make it harder than it already is to get even a glance from someone? Thanks for any help!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I see no reason why the subject matter of assassins would be a greater impediment to publication that any other subject matter. I love assassin novels! My advice would be to banish such worries from your mind and focus all your energies on writing the best book you can.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah J. Mass' Throne of Glass series is about an assassin and that was her first book.

writerfrenzy

Registered
Reaction score
I think so, yes. Actually, I think people have a rather morbid fascination about assassins since many fantasy books have labelled them troubled individuals who kill only to get by.I think you should be fine. If it's contemporary though, make sure you do your actual research :)