The great re-write nightmare

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't any formal kind of training or instruction outside that of advanced English and Lit electives in high school and college. I am trying to avoid mistakes from the past in the future, do you have any resources you could share off the top of your head?

The Time Machine, H. G. Wells
Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke
Fahrenheit-451, Ray Bradbury
The Stochastic Man, Robert Silverberg
City, Clifford Simak
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick
Slan, A. E. Van Vogt
The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester
Not in Solitude, Kenneth F. Gantz
Star Maker, Olaf Stapledon
The Green Odyssey, Philip José Farmer

That's a start.

caw

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my fourth draft of a novel I'm editing and I've come to the conclusion that a fifth draft will be necessary.

Fack! :X

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
My first book was terrible, really truly, I never sent it out on queries for good reason. But it was a massive learning curve. Now I'm not saying yours is bad, some people land on their feet and write wonderfully first time, but I am saying that even if you keep going and aren't happy at the end, you will still have gained great experience. I'd only start re-writing if you are passionate about it, if your passion lies in the current version, carry on. The worst thing you can do is not write at all, and you need to feel fired up about what you're crafting.

Fujuman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
comicsnraps.blogspot.com
Greetings all. I hope some of you can identify with this, as it has been extremely frustrating, but I am in the process of writing my first SF novel at the age of 27. I was in love with the setting and tone of where I was going and had an outline that made sense (at least to me) but after some sage advice from those closest to me, I started to re-examine what I had already written. Too many characters, a lackluster plot with some high points, and no central antagonist for the reader to rally against, I felt really dejected. I was already 22,000 words in which in nothing compared to the volume that some people write, I'm sure. But it was *my* 22,000 words and I was already dreading going back and scrapping most of it to start fresh. I know in my head it is the right thing to do and I've already crafted a new, tighter outline but am having trouble staying motivated. Firstly, I want to write because I enjoy it; storytelling is fascinating and engaging to me. Secondly, and more in line with flights-of-fancy, I want it to become mega-popular so I can become rich and famous and just write all the time (doesn't everyone?). Thanks all for hearing me bemoan my situation. As I wrap up this pity party I will try again to start with fresh eyes and fingers for typing.
Best to all,
thelearnedfox

Rewriting and downright scrapping ideas got easier for me once I realized that the time and effort you put into your book in its raw form still benefit you as you rewrite or completely change direction. Aside from having a better idea of what not to do, you may have sections or whole pages that still fit this new direction. Don't just delete the whole thing, or if you already did keep the outline, but see what you can trim to make room for that villain. Most sections can be trimmed by getting to the point faster.

I hope this helps. I know this problem well so I really only tried to tell you what has worked for me.