• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can't think of the word!

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
I write historical adventure romance, so rather than using "sexual relations," I'd use "amorous congress" and similarly evasive phrases. Evasive isn't the ideal word describing replacement phrases, but there is a word, I just can't remember it!

I've looked through thesaurus' using clues like evasive but I haven't seen the word. It's not that I need the word for writing, but somewhere I lost the word. Maybe the neurons responsible died, moved on, ran away. I mean I was reading a Civil War notice which warned that ladies who flashed themselves at the occupying soldiers would be arrested as common whores, but that wasn't the notice's wording which instead was beautifully, duh... evasive, and typical of that time in history.

Maybe there isn't such a word, but I'm sure I've used it because I do so like their evasive phrase and word replacements so I talk about it - the word's just on the tip-of-my-tongue, agh! I hope someone can help.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, whenever this happens to me as I write, I cuss a couple of times, and enter the word "albatross" in red font, so I can find it later when the right word comes to me. I don't think I've ever written "albatross" as a reality in anything, so it works. I'll leave that to Coleridge.

caw

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, whenever this happens to me as I write, I cuss a couple of times, and enter the word "albatross" in red font, so I can find it later when the right word comes to me. I don't think I've ever written "albatross" as a reality in anything, so it works. I'll leave that to Coleridge.

caw

Now I've got that bloody Monty Python sketch running in my mind!

Back to the OT. Yeah, it's maddening when that happens. My mind turns to sludge and I can't haul anything vaguely appropriate out of that mess. Second BB's advice. Anything not to lose momentum.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

caw

Ha. I actually have read a couple of fantasy novels where Albatross come up, but mostly it makes me think of the Monty Python sketch. Or those heartbreaking videos of birds choking to death on plastic :cry:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My method is like blacbird's. I type WTF in place of any word that is eluding me so I can catch it later. The little devils have a way of popping into my mind at inconvenient times, like in the middle of dinner, in the middle of the night, while I'm waiting for a red light to turn green.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Periphrasis perhaps?

'course you don't get bloody wafers with it.

Showing my ignorance of my native tongue, English, agh, but it's the first time I heard of "periphrasis," thanks! The spoken versions of periphrasis via Google and my COD all sound like they're lisping.

Last edited:

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
The spoken versions of periphrasis via Google and my COD all sound like they're lisping.

In fact it could be a Dutch word. We lived there for a couple of years and failed to get to grips with their language. They seem to have over-long words which contain too many consonants. In addition they include the odd guttural throat-clearing noise. All this meant that any attempt to communicate with a native resulted in them being spat at! (luckily most speak English).

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
If someone told me "periphrasis" was to do with digestion, I would have believed them. As for the Dutch, you probably don't miss their salad cream with chips.

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
If someone told me "periphrasis" was to do with digestion, I would have believed them. As for the Dutch, you probably don't miss their salad cream with chips.

Salad cream and chips - brilliant. Mind you they gave me severe periphrasis!

My wife tells a number of humourous Dutch-food-related stories when we give talks on our boating days - such as being serenaded each week on her trip to the visiting fish stall. As she approached the two proprietors used to salute while singing Rule Britannia at full volume. They used to have a giggle but we did have some communication issues. It all started on our first visit when we bought some lovely white fish cooked in spicy batter as a snack. My wife returned to the stall to asked, 'excuse me, but what type of fish have we just eaten?' 'Two-thirty,' replied the fishmonger.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Salad cream and chips - brilliant. Mind you they gave me severe periphrasis!

My wife tells a number of humourous Dutch-food-related stories when we give talks on our boating days - such as being serenaded each week on her trip to the visiting fish stall. As she approached the two proprietors used to salute while singing Rule Britannia at full volume. They used to have a giggle but we did have some communication issues. It all started on our first visit when we bought some lovely white fish cooked in spicy batter as a snack. My wife returned to the stall to asked, 'excuse me, but what type of fish have we just eaten?' 'Two-thirty,' replied the fishmonger.

Lol, maybe that was a Dutch Terry Pratchett fan who meant forty-two.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Crap, I got it wrong again! Sorry Douglas :)

Stop moaning, life begins at forty :p (I researched that one, so it should be right!).

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
OH, GOSH, I HAVE THAT TIP-OF-THE-TONGUE, BRAIN-WHY-WON'T-YOU-EXCAVATE-THAT-WORD THING ALL THE DAMNED TIME.

I feel ya, is what I'm saying. No suggestions, but I may start using Blacbird's ALBATROSS method; that's legitimately a good way to keep from being stopped dead by a brain-fart.