When do you use a comma before 'because'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's clear.

I failed the test because I didn't study. (no comma)

But sometimes it just seems like such a guessing game. I have longer sentences that the meaning isn't all that clear and I'm uncertain as to whether to use a comma or not.

Anybody got any ballpark-rule on this?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. You use a comma before the word because when joining two independent clauses, with 'because,' acting as the conjunction following the comma.

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes it's clear.

I failed the test because I didn't study. (no comma)

But sometimes it just seems like such a guessing game. I have longer sentences that the meaning isn't all that clear and I'm uncertain as to whether to use a comma or not.

Anybody got any ballpark-rule on this?

When you have two ideas, use a comma; if you just have an explanation, don't use a comma. I use this example:

1. George Washington was elected president because the people trusted him.
2. I can't swear at him, because I'm on probation.

#1 assumes that the reader knows Washington was elected president and only explains why.
#2 first says she can't swear at him, then explains why. Two things.

If you want to be grammatically correct, #1 follows the rules. But that's a really bad idea (to follow the grammar rules for a comma before because.)

How did you do on the test? I failed the test, because I didn't study.
Why did you fail the test? I failed the test because I didn't study.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
People use a lot of commas that are both grammatically incorrect and also unnecessary. There are a lot fewer commas that are unnecessary but required by grammatical sticklers -- but these too exist.

Experiment: delete all the commas in a text. Go back and replace commas only where they're required to understand the meaning of the sentence. How many of the original commas are still missing? Will anybody really miss them?

The Big Rule of commas: when in doubt, leave them out.

(Except for the Oxford comma. Wars have been (metaphorically) fought over that one. Pick your side.)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Emma's right: there's times you do use a comma, and times you don't.

CMoS Q&A session uses: He didn't run because he was afraid.

There's potential ambiguity here if no comma is used. Did he A: not run because he felt something other than fear and that made him run, or didhe B: run because he was afraid afterall?

CMoS advises a comma to avoid the ambiguity. He didn't run, because he was afraid.

You don't need a comma if it's clear it's direct cause and effect, where there's no ambbiguity.:

"We're off to see the wizard because of the wonderful things he does."

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
When you have two ideas, use a comma; if you just have an explanation, don't use a comma. I use this example:

1. George Washington was elected president because the people trusted him.
2. I can't swear at him, because I'm on probation.

#1 assumes that the reader knows Washington was elected president and only explains why.
#2 first says she can't swear at him, then explains why. Two things.

If you want to be grammatically correct, #1 follows the rules. But that's a really bad idea (to follow the grammar rules for a comma before because.)

How did you do on the test? I failed the test, because I didn't study.
Why did you fail the test? I failed the test because I didn't study.

Thanks Emma. Good explanation. Seems it all comes down to meaning. Like your 'test' example. Which of course makes perfect sense. I think sometimes I just read things too quickly to absorb their meaning. I just want to throw a comma (or not) in there like a dart and be done with it.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
People use a lot of commas that are both grammatically incorrect and also unnecessary. There are a lot fewer commas that are unnecessary but required by grammatical sticklers -- but these too exist.

Experiment: delete all the commas in a text. Go back and replace commas only where they're required to understand the meaning of the sentence. How many of the original commas are still missing? Will anybody really miss them?

The Big Rule of commas: when in doubt, leave them out.

(Except for the Oxford comma. Wars have been (metaphorically) fought over that one. Pick your side.)

Thanks ben. I like your Big Rule. Trying to punctuate for grammatical sticklers fills the page with punctuation. (A lot of it unnecessary.) And the Oxford comma. I'm not going to worry about that one.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Emma's right: there's times you do use a comma, and times you don't.

CMoS Q&A session uses: He didn't run because he was afraid.

There's potential ambiguity here if no comma is used. Did he A: not run because he felt something other than fear and that made him run, or didhe B: run because he was afraid afterall?

CMoS advises a comma to avoid the ambiguity. He didn't run, because he was afraid.

You don't need a comma if it's clear it's direct cause and effect, where there's no ambbiguity.:

"We're off to see the wizard because of the wonderful things he does."

Thanks Fallen. I read the CMoS post too. And got a little confused. LOL But I like your:

You don't need a comma if it's clear it's direct cause and effect, where there's no ambiguity.

That simplifies it nicely.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was a great thread. I was paying close attention and I hope to avoid errors involving this in the future.

Nice!

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the most important thing is how the sentence reads within the wider context of the paragraph and/or scene, so pacing and other elements are important. A comma is a very handy little squiggle to play around with for effect.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

This is what happens when I don't write my fiction/poetry like I write my forum posts. :p

You're cheeky. :hi:

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
You might be interested in this discussion of "because": http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_...tion_as_dictionaries_have_it_but_instead.html
If he's right, and because is always a preposition, you would never use a comma on either side of "because".

Here's a good discussion of the traditional rules about commas and "because" (as a conjunction): https://www.dailywritingtips.com/5-calls-for-a-comma-before-“because”/

Wow, thanks for the links. I don't know if I want to get that into using a comma with because! I do think you have to use one, if necessary, though, like the "5 calls" link says for meaning. But yeah, 'because' is not a coordinating conjunction.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, you don't use a comma before a subordinating clause if it is preceded by an independent clause...but I bend this rule when I like the sound of an extra pause before the conjunction. Subordinating conjunctions are words like "because," "while," "when," etc., and they make an independent clause (or, more simply, a complete sentence) dependent. For those of you who have offered alternate explanations--where are you drawing this information from? I teach grammar, and now I'm terrified that this is more nuanced than I realized!

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, you don't use a comma before a subordinating clause if it is preceded by an independent clause...but I bend this rule when I like the sound of an extra pause before the conjunction.

Readers may indeed detect a natural pause at the end of an independent clause, but it's not really a "sound," and a reading pause has nothing to do with a comma and everything to do with the structure of the sentence.

For those of you who have offered alternate explanations--where are you drawing this information from?

Purdue's Online Writing Lab is an excellent source. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/

I teach grammar, and now I'm terrified that this is more nuanced than I realized!

I taught grammar for 27 years. The terrors of multi-nuanced grammar pretty much go hand-in-hand with the teaching of it. Teaching commas equal pauses is way too simplified to be correct, and the real deal means looking harder at sentence structures. :greenie

Last edited:

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score
I joined here to answer this question, so perhaps I can be forgiven for answering twice.

First, from Purdue's Online Writing Lab: "This comma use is correct, because it is an example of extreme contrast."

Second, the issue isn't nuanced to me. Use a comma before because to suggest two ideas (something + explanation); leave the comma out to suggest just one idea (an explanation of a known fact).

Third, in my grammar book I discuss how punctuation changes pitch. If you wanted to go by sound, pitch is probably a better guide than pausing. Or instead of saying "I wanted a pause" just say "I wanted a break". Then you don't have to get into whether the break is caused by a pause, drop in pitch, or just the visual symbol of a comma.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Emma is right; "because" doesn't need a comma when it introduces a clause of purpose (a clause that answers a why question). It serves as a subordinating conjunction.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-before-because/

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-to-use-a-comma-before-because

My dog bit the vet because she doesn't trust strangers.

However, one can make an exception when a comma is needed for clarity.

My dog didn't bite me because she trusts me.

This can be read to mean that my dog did bite me, but she didn't do it because she trusts me. Or does it mean she didn't bite me and her reason for not biting was trust?

If it's the latter, then a comma helps clarify.

My dog didn't bite me, because she trusts me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.