Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone talking about baby names and I'm all like "What about Mordred...?"

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I nearly won the sweepstake at work. I came second (which doesn't involve getting any actual money). I guessed boy and 8lb 11oz. I was only 4oz out.

ETA: born on St George's day, he ought to be called George. Oh, wait...

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think he'll be named Henry Phillip :)
Well here in Canada it's been pretty horrible with the recent tragedies in Humboldt and Toronto, so it's nice to have a little blip of happiness on the news.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Betting experts are favoring Arthur as the chosen name. Probably no chance they'll go for Humperdinck. Introversion beat me to it with the Onion headline.

But honestly, I wish them well...enough. Wonder if Morrissey has any thoughts on the matter.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know as I'd agree with that. I think the human race could stand to breed a little (a lot?) less, to be honest.

Reminds me of the lyric:

"Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a TV "

~Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta

Seriously, I'm all for the propagation of above average people that are above average intelligence, and are not callus and horrible.

However, I would like to extend my congratulations to Prince Harry, he's another step away from the throne and his scandalous choice of an American Divorcee for a wife is even less relevant now.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think he'll be named Henry Phillip :)

I doubt they'll go with Henry as a first name, since that's Prince Harry's real name. I'd like to see something totally new in the royal baby name arena rather than another traditional name, but I don't suppose that will happen. I like Philip, but can't say Arthur or Albert does much for me, and I understand those are the front runners in the betting pool.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see something totally new in the royal baby name arena rather than another traditional name, but I don't suppose that will happen. I like Philip, but can't say Arthur or Albert does much for me, and I understand those are the front runners in the betting pool.

Ultimately, the choices are limited. At least it isn't like ye olde France, where everyone had to be named Louis. But, since baby three is likely not expected to be monarch, why not open it up to some possibilities? Submitted for royal approval:

-Alucard
-Kanye
-Inspektor Pilot
-Hashtag
-Kayden
-Thelonius Django
-Ryker
-Niveah (Niveah can be a boy's name, too)
-Stronghard the Crushinator
-Idris

-Kevin (Great way to build bridges with Ireland, post Brexit)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I like Philip, but can't say Arthur or Albert does much for me, and I understand those are the front runners in the betting pool.
I don't see Philip being a choice until the current bearer of the name is no longer using it. Too confusing for everyone else.
Arthur could be fun, for the media and the satirists, at least. And, the choice of nicknames: Art, Artie, Arfur, Thurd?
Kid's got no hope of the throne, so why not give him a common name that will let him blend in with the crowd?
John? He's not going to be 'King John', so it doesn't really matter. And John or Jack isn't common with the Royals.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I could also see something ordinary but not royal. Michael after Kate's father for example.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
However, I would like to extend my congratulations to Prince Harry, he's another step away from the throne and his scandalous choice of an American Divorcee for a wife is even less relevant now.

There's a ton of excitement about Harry and Megan's wedding. I don't know anyone who think's it's scandalous or irrelevant and haven't read any such opinions in the news either (I read the news daily). Mostly what I've heard about it is all the various plans for the wedding itself and events to celebrate the wedding. I didn't even know Megan was a divorcee (nor do I care, being a divorcee myself!)

What would be scandalous though, is if they don't ask Elton John to perform... I'm sure they wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, though!

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet - Princess Charlotte is the first princess in history to have a younger brother who doesn't queue-jump her to the throne. They recently changed the rules about the line of succession to the throne to remove the sexism. Princess Charlotte remains 4th in line. This (plus the fact that Prince William and Prince Harry were allowed to choose their own partners and not have their choice restricted to those considered to be of high enough rank with the upper classes/aristocracy) is :Thumbs:

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see Philip being a choice until the current bearer of the name is no longer using it. Too confusing for everyone else.
Arthur could be fun, for the media and the satirists, at least. And, the choice of nicknames: Art, Artie, Arfur, Thurd?
Kid's got no hope of the throne, so why not give him a common name that will let him blend in with the crowd?
John? He's not going to be 'King John', so it doesn't really matter. And John or Jack isn't common with the Royals.

Another King Arthur would be a great though... and plenty of royals never expected to end up on the throne.

There was a King John, though he wasn't very nice, but then neither were the King Henrys or King Williams.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Another King Arthur would be a great though... and plenty of royals never expected to end up on the throne.

There was a King John, though he wasn't very nice, but then neither were the King Henrys or King Williams.

I recently read one of Philipa Gregory's historical fictions about the era of King Henry VIII, and I am forced to believe that when you give someone absolute power and wealth, you end up with a terrorist. Thank goodness England is no longer a true monarchy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know which is worse. Living under a lecherous moronic despot with awesome powers to destroy both his enemies and the whole of humanity on a rage-fueled whim or living under the impotent rule of a useless monarchy with plenty of pomp and prestige and absolutely no power.

The fascination commoners have with the royal family in Britain is matched by the slavish adulation of celebrities in America and neither is healthy.
:sarcasm