And Baby Makes 3

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought that the slavish adulation of celebrities was the result of your not having a royal family to gawk at. Instead, y'll got the Kardashians.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Louis Arthur Charles. Everyone gets a look in there: great-great-grand uncle*, the once and future king, and grandad.

*something like that, anyway

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
arthur shoulda been the first name....

I agree. It would've been so amazing for a royal to have the name of a pre-Norman king. But no, they not only went Norman, they went for French royal family. Presumably they want to remind all us Anglo-Saxon, Celtic and other pre-Norman plebs that we've basically been ruled over by the Norman French since 1066.

On the other hand, we all know what happened to the French royal family, so they'd better not get too uppity... :mob

:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit:brit
:brit:brit:brit:brit

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, for those of us caught-in-between Canadians: I gather they are using the French pronunciation 'Louee' as opposed to 'Loois'?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Henry V was okay, if short lived. (Or is that the fallacy of an American education?)

Well my British education left me with no knowledge of him whatsoever. History at school conveniently skipped over quite a few kings and queens. There were rather a lot of them. Some of them, like William I, Henry VIII, Victoria and Elizabeth I, get taught extensively while others remain just names and dates on a list of kings and queens. I learned a lot about history outside of school and after I left school, just not Henry V for some reason. It's never occurred to me to be interested in him.

I looked him up briefly. Apparently he crushed a Welsh rebellion. Given the history of the English ruling classes oppressing the Celtic peoples of the British Isles, I'd say he's probably not such a good guy. But if the Welsh were to say he was a nice guy, I'd trust their judgement on it.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
And, for those of us caught-in-between Canadians: I gather they are using the French pronunciation 'Louee' as opposed to 'Loois'?

Yep. There was a lively discussion about this at work... how the name should be pronounced. The BBC news article confirmed it's prounounce Loo-ee not Loo-iss. As in Louis the Sixteenth of France (sans tête).

ETA: he wasn't named after Louis XVI. He was named after "Lord Mountbatten - his great-great-great uncle - who was killed by the IRA in 1979" - according to the BBC news article. "Lord Mountbatten had a strong influence in the upbringing of great-nephew Prince Charles and was described by the latter as "the grandfather I never had". link to article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43922335

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Lord Louis Mountbatten, who apparently pushed the relationship between Princess Elizabeth and his nephew, Philip.
AKA The guy who set up the Dieppe Raid. 'Cause who cares about the loss of a bunch of Canadian troops.:rant:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Lord Louis Mountbatten, who apparently pushed the relationship between Princess Elizabeth and his nephew, Philip.
AKA The guy who set up the Dieppe Raid. 'Cause who cares about the loss of a bunch of Canadian troops.:rant:

Fun fact: my grandfather narrowly managed to escape joining the rest of the Calgary Highlanders in that fateful battle by sheer incompetence. He was a 2nd lietenant in the Highlanders as they were standing above the cliffs of Dover and they were doing drills. After a very botched drill and a resulting scuffle, he was transferred to the Loyal Eddies. The Highlanders went to Dieppe, the Eddies went to Ortona.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score

The Irish didn't like him much either. I'm not sure how I feel about the new baby being named after him. I think I'll leave it for the Irish to judge. And the Canadians. And anyone else whose deaths and suffering he didn't give a shit about.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Fun fact: my grandfather narrowly managed to escape joining the rest of the Calgary Highlanders in that fateful battle by sheer incompetence. He was a 2nd lietenant in the Highlanders as they were standing above the cliffs of Dover and they were doing drills. After a very botched drill and a resulting scuffle, he was transferred to the Loyal Eddies. The Highlanders went to Dieppe, the Eddies went to Ortona.
God Lord! Out of the frying pan, into the fire! The botched drill might seem like a cunning plan, except that the Edmonton Regiment at Ortona, according to the accounts I've read, had it much, much worse. I hope that your grandfather was one of the lucky survivors, and told his story himself?