• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How can I get a fluenty reading flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know if you have problems with it. But I write too long sentence when I write a longer text. However, for a fluently reading flow I need more short than longer sentence. But this can’t be anything. (I know simple words must be there, too.) What are your best tips to get a reading flow where even reluctant reader gets tears?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Practice, and read how others do it.

Short, I know, but...:Hug2:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really, I'm afraid, other than read how others do it, then try and make up your own sentences to create images to cover a similar situation.

If you read a good paragraph about something, change the topic or subject and then try writing your own paragraph.

Flow is a matter of content as well as construction, and having each sentence 'flow' on after the previous one.

I'm sure others will be along with other suggestions. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I think it mostly comes down to pace. If you stack image after image, with little break to allow the reader time to process those images, then there's an issue with the pacing running too fast. So it can just be a matter of control: the words you choose, punctuation, and sentence structure. Wordier isn't always better: so look for clear word choices. Size really doesn't matter: if you can get it across in fewer words: do it. Ideally you're trying to help the reader process the build of images as effortlessly as possible.

But I'd certainly reach that 50 point mark and get your work in SYW to know for definite.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I second Bufty's advice about seeing how others do it. Read lots of books that use the style you're after (with short, crisp sentences that sound smooth and are easy to read). This way you'll be writing like that before you're even aware of it.

At least that's what happens with me. When I read too many books by the same author (with similar styles), I begin to unconsciously write that way (which is not always helpful in my case, but you could use the same trick to get the result you want).

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend reading out loud. A lot of published books don't have flow, and you'll pick up on this automatically when you're trying to string the sentences together. Then compare to areas where it really works. You'll know reading your own work out loud if your pacing works throughout. Writing works a lot like reading music. Each note and direction on sheet music tells you how long a note is and how you should play it (volume, tone, etc.). We know automatically when a piece of music works for us or doesn't, and reading out loud can attune you in the same way except instead of notes and sheet music directions, you're dealing with words, length of sentences, and tone.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know if you have problems with it. But I write too long sentence when I write a longer text. However, for a fluently reading flow I need more short than longer sentence. But this can’t be anything. (I know simple words must be there, too.) What are your best tips to get a reading flow where even reluctant reader gets tears?

In addition to what Bufty said (it really does take practice, and studying how other writers do it can also be helpful), one practical tip I can offer is to vary the length of your sentences. Think in terms of balance: balance long sentences with short ones, and very long ones with very short ones. Use medium-length sentences (and even those should vary somewhat in length) to fill in the bulk of the narrative. That's one aspect of good flow.

Another has to do with the logical reveal of information. The contents of each sentence must logically connect to the contents of the next sentence. If there's a break in the connection, it should be because the subject has changed or the story camera is pointed in a new direction. Ideally, it will feel natural when that happens and not jarring. Starting a new paragraph with new information can help with that transition.

You always want to give the reader the feeling that the narrative and dialogue are building toward something. It can often be effective to put the most tense, interesting, or surprising word or phrase at the end of a sentence of paragraph.

Last, study the uses of rhetorical devices. These can add power and eloquence to your writing, which will put you on the road to tearful readers. :) Here's a partial list. Also check out The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth, which is both an informative and entertaining read.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Provide a sample of one of your long sentences. Maybe you have grammar issues (e.g. run-on sentences). Maybe you have problems with being over-descriptive. There could be a number of issues, or any combination of them. It's hard to answer without a sample of one of your long sentences.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Read it out loud.

Choose an actor or a character whose voice you enjoy and try to make your writing match their cadence.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Provide a sample of one of your long sentences. Maybe you have grammar issues (e.g. run-on sentences). Maybe you have problems with being over-descriptive. There could be a number of issues, or any combination of them. It's hard to answer without a sample of one of your long sentences.

And the surrounding sentences. Sometimes the only issue with a long sentence is the company it keeps.

jhbertel

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I tend to string sentences together to make sure the reader gets the connection instead of trusting them to connect the ideas. Example:

He looked out of the window and saw the two men were still there.

Could instead be

He looked out the window. The two men were still there.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
As others mentioned with flow of narrative, it is about reading, practising, variety of sentence length and structure. I also found that reading out loud help with the rhythm, the pace and finding awkward, clunky sentences. I would suggest you put a extract up for critique in the SYW section once you have enough posts.

Personally, I tend to string sentences together to make sure the reader gets the connection instead of trusting them to connect the ideas. Example:

He looked out of the window and saw the two men were still there.

Could instead be

He looked out the window. The two men were still there.

Personally, I wouldn't link 2 sentences by using a filtering word like "saw", which add distance between the reader and the character. Plus, it's redundant: if he's looking out of the window then it's implied the character will see something. Much easier to link the 2 sentences with a semi-colon:

He looked out the window; the two men were still there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.