Challenge of Canadian Writers Seeking an Agent

prairie

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently seeking an agent for my new YA novel, Prairie's Edge. An issue for many Canadian writers such as myself, is that there are very few literary agents in Canada, and even fewer open to submissions who will take on YA literature. So, I have to go elsewhere. But, my story is based in Canada, (rural Saskatchewan), although the themes are universal. So, I would love to hear from anyone who may have suggestions for me with regards to U.S. or U.K. based agents who may take on a Canadian writer.

Thanks
:)

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I am also Canadian and often wonder about this, especially since I do like to set my contemporary stories in Canada. As others will probably say: if the story is good, the location won't matter. I also think it's useful to mention the popular YA book Anna Dressed in Blood actually takes place in Canada, and it doesn't seem to be an issue for that book. (The first book takes place in Thunder Bay, ON - I'm not sure why the author chose this location, I never really looked into. But I think the author and publisher are both American.)

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Agents all over the world are super open to working with international clients any time, any day. All you have to do is query them (US/UK/Australian agents looking for YA) and take your chances like you would with any other publishing house in Canada. As for specific names for those agents, I don't have any, but with a bit of research on your part, you should be good to go :partyguy:.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian. My agent is American and so are my publishers. My books are set in fictional cities/towns, though.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any reputable agent would say not to a Canadian author on the basis of them being Canadian. I made my agent list the same as everyone else and most of them were American. My agent is American now and I have been pubbed by UK and American publishers.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I would advise you not to limit yourself to Canadian literary agents. I'm also Canadian but eventually got offered representation by an American agent. There are plenty of Canadian writers on this board who are in literature, middle grade, young adult and science fiction/fantasy that have American representation. My own agent has three Canadian clients despite her agency being based in New York, so don't feel that your country of residence, or the locale of your story are going to be deal breakers. The only real barrier is the quality of the writing.