SmugMug Acquires Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the story.

SmugMug is a good site, used for portfolio creation and photo sales by photographers. It's been around a long time.

I don't know what this will mean for Flickr. I have a paid Flickr account; I'd like to keep using it.

Here's the SmugMug FAQ about the acquisition.

Note that that FAQ says:

Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that’s actually a pretty big deal - wonder if Yahoo is in that big a financial pinch...they’ll go under is my bet

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that’s actually a pretty big deal - wonder if Yahoo is in that big a financial pinch...they’ll go under is my bet

Yahoo was bought by Oath a while ago. OATH also owns Verizon and AOL. They've been selling off bits and pieces. Flickr is just the latest bit to be sold.

I'm actually pleased about this; there's a lot to like about Flickr and SmugMug has done a good job for some of my pro and semi-pro friends. So I'm really hoping that this works out well.

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yahoo was bought by Oath a while ago. OATH also owns Verizon and AOL. They've been selling of bits and pieces. Flickr is just the latest bit to be sold.

I'm actually pleased about this; there's a lot to like about Flickr and SmugMug has done a good job for some of my pro and semi-pro friends. So I'm really hoping that this works out well.

Wow, I’m so out of the loop - had no idea about the Oath acquisition. As to the SmugMug deal, I can see it being a good buy too. I have accounts with both, and actually did some promotional work for SmugMug when they were first starting. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some more data from Flickr:

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my email notification today - and if I’m reading it right, your photos won’t go away they’ll just migrate to the Smugmug platform. I’m sure details will come out soon about how Pro accounts will migrate. They’ll likely have many, like myself, who will have to or want to consolidate accounts and remove duplicates.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just got my email notification today - and if I’m reading it right, your photos won’t go away they’ll just migrate to the Smugmug platform. I’m sure details will come out soon about how Pro accounts will migrate. They’ll likely have many, like myself, who will have to or want to consolidate accounts and remove duplicates.

Yes: see the post just before yours:

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Here's some more data from Flickr:

Ooh, I like an image hosting site that gives its users lots of warning and lots of lead time.

(As contrasted with, say, the catastrophically abrupt Photobucket policy change/picture deletion/lockout/demand for pay last year)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yes: see the post just before yours:

sorry Lisa, my post was poorly worded. I should have said:

Hey I finally got my email today. And my take on Lisa’s referenced section is that...

truth is i I didn’t even read my email since I saw your reference already lol

Status
Not open for further replies.