Hello from (brrr) Wisconsin

lejay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauragilfillan.wixsite.com
Hi everyone, my name is Laura, from Wisconsin, although I'm hoping to move to NC soon (to escape the frigid Wisconsin winters.) I mostly write YA fantasy, and I've just started the rough draft of my seventh book. In my stories I like to take the ordinary world and imagine what it would be like with just a sparkle of magic in it and then have characters that aren't quite ordinary. Some of my favorite authors are Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett, Angie Sage, and Tony Hillerman.

Beside writing, I also love to crochet, garden, take long walks in the woods (preferably with my camera), and make soap.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to getting to know many of you. And having many interesting discussions here, about writing or whatever.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I spent time in northcentral Michigan and northcentral Minnesota; I enjoyed my time in each. The winter is not for everyone, but I enjoy the extreme weather.

Are you published (traditional or self)?

Do you follow the hero's journey plotting method; if yes, how do your ordinary world characters change in the underworld?

Nice to meet you. :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Laura, welcome aboard. Best of luck.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, Laura. One of my kids lives in Wisconsin and assures me that while it's sunnier than western New York, it's also definitely colder. Good decision, going south.

lejay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm self-published, but I'm making the effort to get a couple of my books traditionally published. It seems like that's a pretty long shot in the current market, but I'm trying.

I don't exactly follow the hero's journey plotting method, but I suppose if you squint you'll probably see it's there anyway. Mostly my characters have to go through a transformation of seeing beyond all that they thought was ordinary and learning to accept themselves for who they are and for what they can do.

Thanks for your interest.

lejay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm really looking forward to moving south. Especially for the longer growing season. Summers are just so short up here. And the winters so long and dark. Just waiting for my youngest to graduate from high school next year.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in Montana and miss its cold climate. When not rainy, Oregon is much too warm. :greenie

However, to each a personal choice. Have fun in the Carolinas. :welcome:!

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
When Oregon doesn't rain, its either sunny or windy. Snow doesn't fall unless you're high up enough or the weather is cold down near sea level. Otherwise we have mild or hot summers. Its the most inconsistent state of weather I know of, yet its also consistently that way.

lejay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think I'd have trouble with all the rain in Oregon, although I hear it's a beautiful state. And I have no excuse for being cold intolerant, I did grow up in Iowa. As I always told everyone, I'm just a misplaced tropical girl. So I guess it's time to find my place. :)

And thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.